Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Post-workout meal

Shades McCool

What do most of you eat post workout? I trying to figure out if my protein shake is enough.

I usually get around 35g protein, 5g of carbs 2 from sugar. Should I be getting more carbs?

Post workout is the best time to throw in some high GI carbs for quick absorption to replenish the glycogen you just burned up in the gym. The common source for PO meal is dextrose.

I usually have a protein shake with 1/2 cup skim milk & water

Sure -- you can also peruse the Shadow 2005 thread -- I think he is using skim milk as well -- post workout is the best time to get the carbs in there. When I think of "cutting" I think not of a diet with limited calories / nutrients, but instead a diet that puts the nutrients where they can be used the most optimally. If you cut out all your carbs you have no energy and you go flat. So put the carbs where they will best be used.

My only carbs really come at breakfast(whole grain) and after I work out. So far I haven't had a problem with fatigue. The rest of the day is mostly protein.

How are your training sessions? Do you have enough energy to do some sick level training on leg day? And you're getting enough fats right?

Right now my energy levels are good. I haven't been having many problems but I think I am going to start eating more fish for better fat levels.

How do you think fresh fruit would be to eat after I drink my post workout shake?

I just got through with chest and it was another good day as I could move up another 5lbs on my 5x5 on incline bench. I hated incline before and never did it, but now I am beginning to love it and its picking up pretty quickly.

Last edited:
Fruit is an option as a quick absorption carb with the PW shake. I'm not sure how optimal you are looking for those carbs -- dextrose is the preferred source of carbs, but skim milk will give you lactose, fruit will give you fructose. The milk may taste better in the shake.

Top Bottom