Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Possible Thyroid problem....Please help

joewee350

My girlfriend thinks she has a problem and I agree. For starters she runs between 30-40 miles per week and lifts weights 4 days per week for a minimum of one hour each day. She also pays great attention to what she eats. She has not been able to lose any weight no matter what diet or exercise routine she has tried. Are there any indications that a thyroid problem is the cause of her inability to lose weight. I would think she would be pretty lean but she is at a 1lbs per month weight gain with little if any increase in strength. Please help.

Wow... that's some serious mileage.

I would tell her to see a doctor and to have them run a thyroid panel... that's the only way to get a true reading on one's thyroid function. :coffee:

Yeah this week she did 7miles monday, 7 tuesday, 6.5 wed, and 6.5 today and she will do a 10+ mile long run on Saturday. She is 5'3 and 118. Legs are decent tone but arms and stomach are not. She looks fine to me but she is more than frustrated about not being able to lose weight. Any idea on how much a thyroid panel costs?

Hmmm how much does she eat a day to support all that training she is doing??? Because if she is undereating that could also be why her body is holding on to some fat if any?

She has tried eating anywhere between 2500 calories a day to 1500 calories a day. She has done the no carb diet as well with not one pound loss for one month. I did the no carb diet with her out of support and i lost 16lbs in the month and I didnt do any cardio. I know that is unhealthy but it was a last resort. She is terribly frustrated and I would be too if i were in her shoes.

For her body, she could be over training which would have a similar effect to not eating enough, i.e. holding on to body fat.

Like Sarge said, a doc visit would be worthwhile for thyroid screening.

If she is that active - its possible she is stripping muscle AND gaining fat simultaneously.

1 - get a blood panel

2 - bump over to a high carb diet(60%) on 12x bodyweight in cals for a week.

3 - while on the short diet - cut running out completely.

4 - begin a morning temp log FIRST thing after waking up

HT had the same issue years ago. She was runnning 50 miles a week. Doing marathons, etc. But was skinny fat and gaining. She had 22% bf! She then slowly learned to eat clean and use good carbs. She slowly cut the cardio and weight trained more. I don't think she's been over 8-10% bf since. It took her a long time to learn, but she eventually figured it out. She also has a thyroid thats off the charts low. She just needed to gain muscle, eat, and stop all that crazy cardio.

P.M. her, she can maybe help with her experience.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom