Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Possible Thyroid problem....Please help

A typical day she will wake up at 4:30 am and eat a bowl of special K and eat a banana or some other fruit. Then she will go run usually 6-7.5 miles. She will eat a cereal bar after the run. She then showers and heads to work. She eats another snack 2 hours later, either another fruit or a cereal bar. She eats lunch at 11 oclock. It is almost always a Turkey sandwich with cheese and some baked chips. She gets off work at 2 and eats another snack, sometimes a package of nuts or something like that. She is at the gym by 2:15 and works out for one hour. She will usually have a small yogurt immediately after the gym. She eats dinner a few hours later...grilled chicken and green beans. A couple hours later she will have 5 or so graham crackers with peanut butter and then go to bed. She has tried several variations of this. She has had only 3 meals a day with no snacks. She has done the low/no carb diet and lost no weight. She has completely stopped running for 2 weeks with no real change in weight. She loves to run and is training for a marathon but she would like to have the benefit of weight loss that should accompany it. Any other thoughts on what she can do?

joewee350 said:
My girlfriend thinks she has a problem and I agree. For starters she runs between 30-40 miles per week and lifts weights 4 days per week for a minimum of one hour each day. She also pays great attention to what she eats. She has not been able to lose any weight no matter what diet or exercise routine she has tried. Are there any indications that a thyroid problem is the cause of her inability to lose weight. I would think she would be pretty lean but she is at a 1lbs per month weight gain with little if any increase in strength. Please help.

...whoa. Before you do anything, diet changes etc, have her go to a doctor and run a full blood panel. And before you do that, maybe she should take a pregnancy test?

Diet already sounds to processed and some people will not lose weight with running when increasing their endurance....some gain when training for marathons. Diet and cal counting might help her out

Pregnancy test...lol...yep we even tried that. She has her period every month but usually only lasts 2 days. Any idea on the costs of this thryroid panel? And another interesting note...she has a degree in community health and is a personal trainer.

joewee350 said:
Pregnancy test...lol...yep we even tried that. She has her period every month but usually only lasts 2 days. Any idea on the costs of this thryroid panel? And another interesting note...she has a degree in community health and is a personal trainer.

Seriously.....did you read any of my comments??

the temp is a GREAT FREE place to start

My apologies. Yes I read your posts and I really appreciate your advice. She will begin taking her temp in the morning tomorrow. Convincing her to quit running is going to be tough. The diet isnt a problem. She will eat whatever it takes for the weight to come off. Thanks again.

It doens't need to be that she quits running, but that aspect of her life definitely makes the diet a little more important to be tweaked for what she is tryign to accomplish. I guess what is the goal-- if you are looking at the scale while she is doing an activity that is known to burn both fat & muscle - so both bodyfat % & weight arent' necessarily goign to show 'lost weight" results.

I'd suggest revamping that diet - there is a lot of simple sugar & processed stuff in there. Not much protein either so that won't necessarily maintain muscle mass much less build it while the training activity can actually be catabolic.

And i guess continue the thyroid thing as well. But look at other expected symptoms of thyroid - tired? hair falling out? etc?

All other suggestions aside....Sorry to her about her luck but honestly, she needs to tweak her diet
joewee350 said:
A typical day she will wake up at 4:30 am and eat a bowl of special K ok but could use Old Fashioned Oatmeal and eat a banana or some other fruit. Then she will go run usually 6-7.5 miles. She will eat a cereal bar WAY better choices out there, maybe a decent whey protein shake?? after the run. She then showers and heads to work. She eats another snack 2 hours later, either another fruit or a cereal barNothing wrong with a granny smith apple, but NO more bars . She eats lunch at 11 oclock. It is almost always a Turkey sandwich with cheese and some baked chips.Deli turkey = processed... sandwich = bread = what kind?? whole grain hopefully? Cheese ... may be ok depending on type ... baked chips = NO She gets off work at 2 and eats another snack, sometimes a package of nuts Walnuts or almonds, preferably unsalted, no more than 1-1.5 ounces She is at the gym by 2:15 and works out for one hour. She will usually have a small yogurt Nothing wrong with yogurt, what kind? Plain? low fat? watch the cals immediately after the gym. She eats dinner a few hours later...grilled chicken and green beans. A couple hours later she will have 5 or so graham crackers with peanut butter Eek, no carbs & fat at the same time (poor carb choices that is), protein & fate before bed, no graham crackersand then go to bed. She has tried several variations of this. She has had only 3 meals a day with no snacks. She has done the low/no carb diet and lost no weight. She has completely stopped running for 2 weeks with no real change in weight. She loves to run and is training for a marathon but she would like to have the benefit of weight loss that should accompany it. Any other thoughts on what she can do?
IMO her diet is, well I've seen worse, but she can do WAY better. I wouldn't freak out and go runing to a doctor until she cleans up the diet for one, unless she really feels she is sick. SO many people want a reason for why they can't lose weight when simple diet changes make ALL the difference in the world. That goes for weight training as well. Women SHOULD train with weights.

I would take into considertion all of the suggestions given to you.

Diet needs ALOT of work. Seems like she runs alot, which is NOT BAD, but she is not giving her body the fuel it needs.

She needs to lift some weights, that SHOULD be a part or here marathon training as well, not just running.

The Shadow said:
If she is that active - its possible she is stripping muscle AND gaining fat simultaneously.

1 - get a blood panel

2 - bump over to a high carb diet(60%) on 12x bodyweight in cals for a week.

3 - while on the short diet - cut running out completely.

4 - begin a morning temp log FIRST thing after waking up
Shadow ... curious as to why #2.

Please 'splain. High carb with better carb selections than she's been eating?

Also per my above post - the type of weight changes you are talking about are miniscule compared to a true "problem" - I know it is a relative thing, and when eating what is perceived as a "clean" or "good" diet (without really designing it specifically and intentionally for what the goal is), thyroid always seems to be a first place to place blame. Just to be realistic (also granted that thyroid issues are also a bit hard to really identify w/o actually getting the testing done) here is a list of the typical symptoms of hyper or hypo (full article: http://thyroid.about.com/cs/basics_starthere/a/symptoms.htm) -

Symptoms of Hypothyroidism (An underactive thyroid)

fatigue, exhaustion
feeling run down and sluggish
depression
difficulty concentrating, brain fog
unexplained or excessive weight gain
dry, coarse and/or itchy skin
dry, coarse and/or thinning hair
feeling cold, especially in the extremities
constipation
muscle cramps
increased menstrual flow
more frequent periods
infertility/miscarriage

Symptoms of Hyperthryodisim (An overactive thyroid)

nervousness
irritability
increased perspiration
thinning of your skin
fine brittle hair
muscular weakness especially involving the upper arms and thighs
shaky hands
panic disorder
insomnia
racing heart
more frequent bowel movements
weight loss despite a good appetite
lighter flow, less frequent menstrual periods

Like Bunny notes and all of us have experienced in one form or another - start w/ diet. And not just "I eat clean". Really dissect the diet and go from there.

Top Bottom