Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Is it possible to gain muscle while losing weight??

makalauna

I want to bulk up which means I need a lot of protein but I also need to lose bodyfat. At the gym last night this guy was telling me it's one or the other. He said at first your going to gain some bodyfat to bulk up. Is this true? Can I gain bigger muscles and lose bf at the same time??

For the most part yes it is true. You can do both at the same time, but you will not be overall pleased with the results - neither one will be done well.

For adding muscle, you need a surplus of calories. To lose bodyfat, you need a deficit of calories. See how it is hard to do both?

You need to pick one and go with it. If you are eating clean, and high in protein, you will likely add some muscle - especially if you are deconditioned. Additionally, you will likely lose bodyfat too. But this will end quickly. You will need to focus on one thing for the next 8 weeks (or whatever) and then focus on the next. This is how you will get the BEST results. You can *try* to do both, but like I said, neither one will likely be done successfully.

If you take AAS (steroids), then itis possible. But that opens up a whole nother can of worms, one which most shouldn't venture into.

Daisy_Girl said:
For the most part yes it is true. You can do both at the same time, but you will not be overall pleased with the results - neither one will be done well.

For adding muscle, you need a surplus of calories. To lose bodyfat, you need a deficit of calories. See how it is hard to do both?

You need to pick one and go with it. If you are eating clean, and high in protein, you will likely add some muscle - especially if you are deconditioned. Additionally, you will likely lose bodyfat too. But this will end quickly. You will need to focus on one thing for the next 8 weeks (or whatever) and then focus on the next. This is how you will get the BEST results. You can *try* to do both, but like I said, neither one will likely be done successfully.

If you take AAS (steroids), then itis possible. But that opens up a whole nother can of worms, one which most shouldn't venture into.

Yeah, I figured you can't get the best of both worlds at once. I've never even considered steroids. I really have zero knowledge on them besides hearing negative comments in magazines,t.v. ect. Is it possible to get bulk up as a woman naturally?? I do build muscle easy. :rose:

makalauna said:
Yeah, I figured you can't get the best of both worlds at once. I've never even considered steroids. I really have zero knowledge on them besides hearing negative comments in magazines,t.v. ect. Is it possible to get bulk up as a woman naturally?? I do build muscle easy. :rose:

If by bulk up you mean look like a man - no.
By bulk up you mean put on some muscle - yes.

Depending on what sort of body fat you want to lose (if it's higher) them I'd do 6-10 weeks (length based on bodyfat) of some hard core dieting stop then go for the muscle and strength gains. One makes you appreciate the other while doing both at the same time (as Daisy said) can make you miserable but doesn't make it completely impossible.

velvett said:
If by bulk up you mean look like a man - no.
By bulk up you mean put on some muscle - yes.

Depending on what sort of body fat you want to lose (if it's higher) them I'd do 6-10 weeks (length based on bodyfat) of some hard core dieting stop then go for the muscle and strength gains. One makes you appreciate the other while doing both at the same time (as Daisy said) can make you miserable but doesn't make it completely impossible.

I'm currently 23% bodyfat. 5'6 and 138 pounds. :rose:

At 23% BF, you should be able to do both (build muscle and lose fat) for the time being. On a clean diet, you should notice fat coming off quickly at that BF%, while you become more defined. Once you get down to about 18%, it will become harder to do both. Like Vel said, take about 6-10 weeks for this.

Once you get your BF down some, this is when you should focus on gaining muscle (size). If you maintain a clean diet (very high in protein), then you shouldn't add much fat while building muscle. Your BF *may* go up some, this is normal, but you should also be able to add a good amount of muscle.

Good that you haven't even considered AAS. It is definately not necessary, especially given your goals and history. BUT, don't believe everything the media says. AAS isn't the demon they make it out to be.

If you're just getting into a diet/cardio/weight training program, you may find yourself easily doing both at the beginning (some bodies, like mine, build and hang onto muscle like nothing...but the same goes for fat). Then you'll hit a plateau after 4-6 weeks where you have to decide to focus on one or the other :)

Top Bottom