Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Please Help! I Can Not Squat

Have you tried sticking out your toes, if normal stance is with feet parallel, I mean opening your stance on smith machine something like this .... \ / ...and putting the weight on your heels?

Sassy69 said:
Couple things you can do -

- put small plates under your heels
- sit way back into your squat - make sure your butt is sticking out and you are thrusting from your pelvis on the way up instead of from your back.
- practice doing unweighted squats just to get the form --
- do box squats -- set a box or bench underneath you when you do the squat -- a "complete" box squat is when you just touch your butt on the bench and then explode back up. Its not meant to sit on - frankly that just messes up my motion. But it gives you a safety point in case you feel like you are going to drop. So work on controlling the downward motion, light touch and then strong back up. When you can do these w/ control and tight form, you can get rid of the bench, lower the bench or whatever. Its a really great tool to get you to the next level of good quality squat.

Thank you so much for the suggestions! I will try putting the weights under my heels or positioning my feet wider and see how this works. I am determined to get those squats right!

msam76 said:
So, you cant squat for squat huh? LOL, sorry, I have a very bad sense of humor! Try stretching more. Both in the morning and at night. Keep trying and eventually you will be able to get down that far. Most doctors will tell you that you should never take your knees beyond 90 degrees anyway.

You know what, I don't really stretch a lot so this may have something to do with it. :worried: Boy, I didn't realize how important stretching was!

Yep... RW is right on with the Chuck Taylors! Also try spreading your knees as you sit back. Always look up (helps me alot)

musclemom said:
And what kind of shoes are you wearing when you do this? Some sneakers, like cross trainers, just don't work. I couldn't squat for deads until I changed over to an essentially flat shoe, sometimes I'll even wear my slippers. Can't do it in my regular walking sneakers, though.

I do wear cross trainers! Well, I guess I have to go and get some flat shoes to wear on squat day. You guys are soo helpful it's not even funny. Thank you! I am confident that I will be doing deep squats in no time! ;)

seriouslyfit said:
I do wear cross trainers! Well, I guess I have to go and get some flat shoes to wear on squat day. You guys are soo helpful it's not even funny. Thank you! I am confident that I will be doing deep squats in no time! ;)

here is something that also helped me practice my squat form...

I would get a stick, (I had a boa.. lol) and hold it like I would a bar and stand facing a wall with my feet about 2"-3" away (to start... then closer as my form improved) squat down all while trying not to allow your knees to touch the wall. This will force you to 'sit back'... make sure you are also spreading your knees at the same time as you are sitting back...

My pl coach had me say over and over in my head all the while I squat

"look up, pull bar deep into back, spread knees, ass out sit back"

Not sure if it works for everyone, but it worked for me.

Top Bottom