Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Plateau help

slipbobber

Hello ladies,
I was wondering if you could help me out with some suggestions on different food choices and calories percents\amounts.

stats:
5' 4" female
144 lbs
age 33
with moderate to very active cardio 4-5 day\week for 45-min.
also strength trains 1-2 times a week
I also figured out on a nutrition calculator that for moderate to very active she need to be around 2107 - 2388 calories\ day

7:30\8
1 cup oatmeal with 2 tablespoon flax oil and 2 tablespoon wheat germ
16 ounces water
1/2 banana

10\10:30
1 apple
8 ounce water

12:00
pb& jelly sandwich (whole wheat bread/ light pb and all fruit jelly)
1 cup split pea soup
8 ounces water

4:30
rice cake with peanut butter (1 teaspoon)
1 cup green tea with agave sweetener ( 2 tbsp)

6:30
3 egg omelet with tomato, onion, pepper, and mushroom.
1/2 of tomato
16 ounces of water

1 cup tapioca pudding non-fat made with splenda.

I went to fitday.com and I came up with this.

calories fat carbs protein
2014 116 201 57

I am asking for a lady, she has hit a plateau and would like to lose another 15lbs. I am guessing to many that she is eating to many carbs and her calories in are pretty close to calories out. The water consumption is about 64 ounces\day. I am not seeing and green veggies and I know that is important. I just don't know enough about diets to help on this one. If you could help me out I would appreciate it.

Looking at that I would up the strength training some to 4-5 days a week, diet needs some work, does she not eat meat?? You need to add some chicken or fish for lunch and dinners.

slipbobber said:
Hello ladies,
I was wondering if you could help me out with some suggestions on different food choices and calories percents\amounts.

stats:
5' 4" female
144 lbs
age 33
with moderate to very active cardio 4-5 day\week for 45-min.
also strength trains 1-2 times a week
I also figured out on a nutrition calculator that for moderate to very active she need to be around 2107 - 2388 calories\ day

16 ounces water
1/2 banana

1 apple
8 ounce water

1 cup split pea soup
8 ounces water

1/2 of tomato
16 ounces of water

2014 116 201 57

I am asking for a lady, she has hit a plateau and would like to lose another 15lbs. I am guessing to many that she is eating to many carbs and her calories in are pretty close to calories out. The water consumption is about 64 ounces\day. I am not seeing and green veggies and I know that is important. I just don't know enough about diets to help on this one. If you could help me out I would appreciate it.
Some of the foods in this diet are not clean...
I think I would first drop the tapioca pudding, the jelly, make light PB natural PB, Not sure what the purpose of split pea soup is for, Some people don't do well with fruit in their diet because of the sugar even though it is fructose, Make sure the whole wheat bread is really whole wheat by checking the ingredients, add some protein powder, and lean meat in there. I'm not sure when her weight routine is but she should have some protein and carbs immediately after she works out. Some say before also... I personally do both. That's just a start I'm sure someone else will clean this up even more..

slipbobber said:
Hello ladies,

stats:
5' 4" female
144 lbs
age 33
with moderate to very active cardio 4-5 day\week for 45-min.TOO MUCH CARDIO!!! She only needs 20 - 30 min. HIIT 3-4 times a week!
also strength trains 1-2 times a week She needs to increase this to 4-5 times a week.I also figured out on a nutrition calculator that for moderate to very active she need to be around 2107 - 2388 calories\ day Actually, to cut she should be at 10-12x her body weight. I calculated 11x and that puts her at 1584 calories per day.

16 ounces water
1/2 banana
No protein in this meal

1 apple
8 ounce water
No protein in this meal

1 cup split pea soup
8 ounces water
Minimal protein in this meal

Minimal protein in this meal

1/2 of tomato
16 ounces of water
The egg is good protein here

No protein here

2014 116 201 57

It's no wonder she's not getting anywhere!!!!! She needs to be getting AT LEAST 24 grams of protein EVERY time she eats (6x per day). She's doing too much cardio, not enough lifting and her diet pretty much is ... well.... it sucks! (sorry) It sounds like she's really going to have to decide to do this right. At this point, she's headed for "skinny-fat syndrome"! She needs those green veggies, a multi-vitamin, some protein powder and A LOT more chicken, fish, seafood, lean red meat, etc. for protein.

1) Calories are too high
2) Carbs are WAY too high
3) Protein is WAY too low
4) Not enough strength training
5) Too much cardio

....not meaning to sound harsh - sorry if I came across in that way! :)

Last edited:
Peanut butter is yummy, but really, for the fat/calories it's just not worth it; with an average of 90 calories in 1 tablespoon, 70 of those calories come from fat and if it's not all natural pnut butter then the fat is probably hydrogenated -- for all that you get a whopping <sarc> 3 grams protein ...

2 ounces of white meat chicken breast has the same amount of calories, 18 calories from fat with 17 grams of protein and actually is close to meal sized, certainly enough to top a salad nicely.

At a glance, the majority of her calories are coming from carbs followed by fat and she's taking in very little protein (damn near nonexistant). If she upped her protein while dropping her carbs and fats she might see a difference right off without changing her calories. Her caloric numbers might be fine, but frankly, quality really matters.

Weights at one day a week is just enough to maybe get you sore, IMO, but not much else (probably doesn't even do that to her). It's not really maintenance, especially with the way the "average" female lifts, e.g., low weights/high reps/full body/machines only.

For someone new to the whole diet thing, I really like to suggest they read Bill Philips' Body for Life book. Great guide on basic nutrition w/ a very flexible list of food and very simple guidelines that will allow you to make it fit more easily into a person's lifestyle. Also good guidelines for a 3 day/week lifting schedule w/ interval-based cardio (HIIT). The point of helping someone w/ a diet is to give them a basic understanding of the "why" and then tools to learn how to create a good diet that will get them the results they want but still fit into their lifestyle, or allow a fairly easy adjustment to their lifestyle to move it towards a more fit way of doing things.

As noted above - you ran the calculation to arrive at the total composition of the diet. There are a hundred ways to build a diet, but again, if you are helping someone who is not clear on why & how this particular diet, it is harder for them to embrace. But also there are some basic guidelines that get messed up w/ today's presentation of "diet" & all the other bullshit health myths. Good carbs & fats, judiciously located in the diet, clean sources & minimal processing (i.e. "low fat", "low sugar", "low carb") and enough protein to support muscle is the way to go. Most women don't get enough protein & therefore have almost non-existant muscles -- and muscle is part of what makes the fat you have on your body look better. If you just cut the fat & ignore the muscle (and probably sacrifice even more muscle in teh diet process) then you end up w/ skinny-fat.

you ladies are awsome.

Thank you for your quick response. One other question what ratio should her calories be. The reason I ask is I don't know if it is different from mens ratios

slipbobber said:
you ladies are awsome.

Thank you for your quick response. One other question what ratio should her calories be. The reason I ask is I don't know if it is different from mens ratios
She is trying to cut right?

10-12 x body weight for calories macro breakdown 40% protien 30% carbs 30% fat.

The listed diet is screaming for more protien!

Well the ladies Got it covered :)

Can you let us know which suggestions she has implemented so we can see how her progress changes (b/c she WILL be seeing some results if she adheres to the comments :) ...given that she is healthy with no medical conditions yadda yadda yadda )

Often people ask for advice and never come back to report on the changes. Please try to keep us posted :)

Last edited:
Sassy69 said:
For someone new to the whole diet thing, I really like to suggest they read Bill Philips' Body for Life book. Great guide on basic nutrition w/ a very flexible list of food and very simple guidelines that will allow you to make it fit more easily into a person's lifestyle. Also good guidelines for a 3 day/week lifting schedule w/ interval-based cardio (HIIT). The point of helping someone w/ a diet is to give them a basic understanding of the "why" and then tools to learn how to create a good diet that will get them the results they want but still fit into their lifestyle, or allow a fairly easy adjustment to their lifestyle to move it towards a more fit way of doing things.

Sassy you're absolutely 200% right. I confess to honestly not having read book one about diet recently, everything that I've picked up with regard to fat loss has been personal experience, internet research, the forums and stickies here at EF and other weight training forums, and directly from people who weight train. A complete package that gives someone a total view is the best bet.

Top Bottom