Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Pineapple...

Once in a while, sure. And post-weight session would be great. Follow up with a few complex carbs and protein, you'll be all set. Otherwise, I'd pretty much skip it in the day-to-day diet :)

I eat about a half cup of it every few days. I need a fruit as a carb every now and then or I start to go insane. Just watch the portion, I could easily eat a whole damn pineapple and if you aren't buying fresh make sure it's not packed in syrup.

I wouldn't see any problem as long as you take into account that it's a high sugar carb. It's fruit yes, but to your body that still means sugar. As such, just make sufficient room in your diet to accomodate.

Don't eat it all by itself though, have some protein like cottage cheese (thinking about that from the other thread) to balance out the glycemic index. Eating a high sugar fruit all by itself will leave you feeling zonked in about an hour after your blood sugar crashes.

A trainer got me started mixing 1/2 can dole pine. chunks w/1 or 2 pkts. instant oats after workout...I always eat this with a protien....she recommended this b/c it replineshes glycogen, contains complex carbs - eaten w/protien = good after wkt. meal...

this is the breakdown of the pineapple mixed w/oatmeal:

26 grams sugar
49 grams carbs (30g from pin., 19g from oats)
2 grams fat
0 saturated fat
4 grams protein
220 calories (120 from pin., 100 from oatmeal)

Im not saying that this works for a pre-contest diet but as far as maintanence - would this be acceptable????

It all depends on what your goals are..cutting etc? Once in a while is not going to hurt you.

Dole and Del Monte now make those little plastic cups of pineapple packed in juice. It's about 18-20 carbs. Convenient at least and a good premeasured portion.

I don't have time to look up the exact profile of pineapple at this time (have to run-of to school), and the others are correct of it being made-up mostly of sugars (depending on ripeness of course will cause this to vary somewhat), but one thing pineaplle does have going for it is that the acidity of its nature, will also help lower the GI uptake.

BMJ

Top Bottom