Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Perception of fitness

I used to have the same negative comments when I first began to get serious about building muscle. Now being at the level that I am, EVERYONE loves my body. Even the original girlfriends who thought I was getting too muscular now support me fully now that they realise this is something I am commited to.

Last edited:
AM -you look fantastic. Interestingly, once I said I was competing, people seemed to start taking me seriously and the strange looks I get for eating the way I do turn to a sort of "awe" for some reason, like all of a sudden it became "glamorous". Strange. I guess it just shows you how shallow people's evaluations of a fitness lifestyle are. They turn their nose up at the work & dedication but are fascinated by the final result. As if it just happens. I actually had one girl ask me if she could "get a competition body" while she's on the Atkins diet. Eh.... missing the point.

Rocketgrrl said:
Hey ladies...has anyone had negative feedback from those who know you work out? It seems like I can't tell anyone unless I downplay what my fitness goals are. It's ok if I'm just trying to get slim, but if I mention wanting to get muscular I get all kinds of negative reactions. It's frustrating!!! I never realized how many men and women think muscular women (monica brant, etc) are unattractive. :worried:
KC

Okay, you wanna hear a story of perversity??? How nuts is this:

My first husband gave me one of those Weider home gyms one christmas (this was about 11 or 12 years ago). Not bad, had a 200 lb stack, couple of stations, heck, I still use it for lat pull downs, quad extensions and hanging leg raises ... anyway, I was tickled pink, thought the sucker had FINALLY given me something I REALLY, REALLY wanted.

So of course, I started working out, but after about 4 months or so, just as I started picking up books, reading, and really working out in a more focused manner every other day, he started giving me attitude ... then he started telling me that I shouldn't be lifting such and such a weight, that was too much ... then he starts sneaking down into the basement to SEE what weight I'm lifting, telling me I'm going to get big, bulky, telling me that's too much weight. This went on and on and finally I got disgusted and quit (around that time I met my CURRENT husband, too, but that's another story).

But is that the nuttiest crap you've ever heard?? Buys me the darned gym, then tells me I'm going to get too buff from using it!!!

And that's just ONE reason why he's my FIRST husband!

Now my current husband, bless his heart, drove me to a weight lifting retail outlet, spots me on my benchpress I do love that man! :loveyou: He's not into working out, hates it, in fact, but if it's something I want to do and excell at, he's willing to support me 100%. He'll look at my form and look at diagrams and do everything he can to help me.

But the way men, in particular, feel about muscular women really baffles me ... there was a poll on one of the other forums and even guys who lift, have a problem with female muscle (male perversity again!)!!! Some would rather be with a girl who is OVERWEIGHT than one who has muscle (granted, the overwhelming response was "fitness types") but will someone explain this to me, is the "male ego" THAT fragile???

I've been married a grand total of 21 years ... sometimes men still leave me terribly confused ...

Best, Harriet

MuscleMom said:
Okay, you wanna hear a story of perversity??? How nuts is this:

My first husband gave me one of those Weider home gyms one christmas (this was about 11 or 12 years ago). Not bad, had a 200 lb stack, couple of stations, heck, I still use it for lat pull downs, quad extensions and hanging leg raises ... anyway, I was tickled pink, thought the sucker had FINALLY given me something I REALLY, REALLY wanted.

So of course, I started working out, but after about 4 months or so, just as I started picking up books, reading, and really working out in a more focused manner every other day, he started giving me attitude ... then he started telling me that I shouldn't be lifting such and such a weight, that was too much ... then he starts sneaking down into the basement to SEE what weight I'm lifting, telling me I'm going to get big, bulky, telling me that's too much weight. This went on and on and finally I got disgusted and quit (around that time I met my CURRENT husband, too, but that's another story).

But is that the nuttiest crap you've ever heard?? Buys me the darned gym, then tells me I'm going to get too buff from using it!!!

And that's just ONE reason why he's my FIRST husband!

Now my current husband, bless his heart, drove me to a weight lifting retail outlet, spots me on my benchpress I do love that man! :loveyou: He's not into working out, hates it, in fact, but if it's something I want to do and excell at, he's willing to support me 100%. He'll look at my form and look at diagrams and do everything he can to help me.

But the way men, in particular, feel about muscular women really baffles me ... there was a poll on one of the other forums and even guys who lift, have a problem with female muscle (male perversity again!)!!! Some would rather be with a girl who is OVERWEIGHT than one who has muscle (granted, the overwhelming response was "fitness types") but will someone explain this to me, is the "male ego" THAT fragile???

I've been married a grand total of 21 years ... sometimes men still leave me terribly confused ...

Best, Harriet

GREAT POST

:rose:

I dont' know if its the feminization of men or wtf, but the general populous of men seem easily intimidated by a strong woman. By "strong" I mean an educated, positive, self-minded and secure woman. If you throw in a solid body too, they go one of two ways - they love it and revel in the fact that they "got" the woman, despite the fact that they are probably fat & sloppy, or they have such a case of bad self-image as a result of comparing themselves to the woman.

Its baffling. I was brought up to think that it was up to the guy to be "the guy". This confused the shit out of me and has probably had a very strong impact on how some of my past relationships have collapsed in a big, sloppy and confusing way --- because I couldn't bring myself to say something mushy on the level of the "L-word" because I just thought it was up to them. But they just didn't catch the drift. Thus my frustration level flies thru the roof, I get moody andn then they react to the moodiness and it just starts to unravel. Why do guys not catch that???

Anyway .. :)

Sassy69 said:
I dont' know if its the feminization of men or wtf, but the general populous of men seem easily intimidated by a strong woman. By "strong" I mean an educated, positive, self-minded and secure woman. If you throw in a solid body too, they go one of two ways - they love it and revel in the fact that they "got" the woman, despite the fact that they are probably fat & sloppy, or they have such a case of bad self-image as a result of comparing themselves to the woman.

Its baffling. I was brought up to think that it was up to the guy to be "the guy". This confused the shit out of me and has probably had a very strong impact on how some of my past relationships have collapsed in a big, sloppy and confusing way --- because I couldn't bring myself to say something mushy on the level of the "L-word" because I just thought it was up to them. But they just didn't catch the drift. Thus my frustration level flies thru the roof, I get moody andn then they react to the moodiness and it just starts to unravel. Why do guys not catch that???

Anyway .. :)

Dang, girl.....you have some good posts.....how I wish we had time in ATL to sit & chat over some wine......

A lot of guys seem to feel threatened by me cuz I have "guy" tendencies.....whaaaat?? And when I got back into training the men at my old job were literally scared of me, especially when I carried 2 cases of water 1/2-way across the office.... :lmao:

O
M
G

Jens....

you AREN"T helpless....

LMAO I guess that makes the guys useless huh?

Strange, very strange.

You go girl!

jenscats5 said:
A lot of guys seem to feel threatened by me cuz I have "guy" tendencies.....whaaaat?? And when I got back into training the men at my old job were literally scared of me, especially when I carried 2 cases of water 1/2-way across the office.... :lmao:

THE FOOLS!!!

My husband points at the cases of water in the car and goes, "there ya go pookie!" then goes to open the front door! ;)

MuscleMom said:
THE FOOLS!!!

My husband points at the cases of water in the car and goes, "there ya go pookie!" then goes to open the front door! ;)

:lmao:

Your hubby calls you "pookie" too!!

The guys at work used to just huddle in the corner & watch me..... wimps!!

Top Bottom