Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Opinions on GVT?

ironbabe

Now that I am past the beginning hellish pain that my body punished me with for taking so long off of training, I am wanting to plan out HOW I will train.

I remember having awesome results with GVT, even though it gets a bit monotonous doing the same exercise for 10 sets, and even though the tempo REALLY hurts near the end of those sets.

I do remeber putting muscle on really fast with that back when (it was actually a time when I got accused of using steroids which I am not against, but have never used and never plan to) and I think I'm ready for it again. Plus this time I'm training at home so no one will look at me evil for taking up a bench for 10 sets per bodypart.

Has this gone out of style while I've been gone? Any new tweaks I should be aware of? If not I'll go by the standard:

10 sets of 10 reps, 2-0-4 tempo, low weights but hit failure. If I make it through all 100 reps, up the weight next time.

I'll probably do 2 bodyparts per day, like this (starting today):

10 x 10 for all except on shoulders
(4-0-2 tempo for long range movements, 3-0-2 for short range)
Tues

Quads (squats)
Hams (stiff leg deads)

Wed

off

Thurs

chest (db bench)
u back (reverse flies)

Fri

shoulders (mil press) 10 reps 6 sets
shoulders (front raise) 10 reps 6 sets
shoulders (behind neck press) 10 reps 6 sets

Sat

Bi's (db curl)
Tri's (overhead extension with db)

Sun

off

Mon

calves (standing toe raise, db's in hand, toes on a 45# plate)
abs (decline crunch)

Opinions?

Last edited:
:wavey:

What specifically is GVT?

Please reclairfy your goal for me? I'm too lazy to look at the other threads ... Add mass? Lose Bodyfat? Compete? blah blah blah ...

I'm not sure what GVT is either....but looking at what you have there I think 100 reps for bis, tris & chest is too much due to the fact that they're a smaller muscle and easier to fatigue. I can make mine hurt like hell with 6 sets of 10.

I guess it's up to you, but I think you could save yourself some time and get the same result will less sets. :)

GVT is German Volume Training otherwise known as sets of ten. Poliquin used to talk about it and it was big on t-mag years back when I first got myself looking like a hottie. It used to be used by german olympic competitors in their off season to put on mass.

You use a weight that you could do 20 times in a row to failure or about 60% 1rm. If done with the correct tempo you would be focusing on the concentric part of the rep, less focus on the ecentric part of the rep (that's why you can handle 100 reps, the ecentric part of a rep is what actually does the most damage to a muscle.) Also the 100 reps is purely theoretical. You are going to failure so if you actually make it to 100 reps the weight wasn't high enough. The goal of the program is to give your muscles a whole hell of a lot of time under tension, resulting in alot of hypertrophy.

My goal right now is to get some muscle back so that when I start cutting I actually have something worth showing underneath. And, since I am just starting back to training, I am expecting to get the newbie effect of being able to gain some muscle and lose some fat at the same time. I know that effect won't last long, but if I don't shed much fat right now that's ok. I need my muscle back then I'll be focusing more on getting leaner. I know alot of people don't believe you can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time even if you are a newbie, but I have seen it with my own eyes when I used to train people. The most pronounced I ever saw it was when someone was in the situation I am in, having once been in excellent shape and having taken a couple of years off before returning to get back in shape. He was a guy not a gal, but I believe I can have the same thing happen. So to rephrase, my main goal is to use this narrow window of opportunity to get some of my muscle back, while less importantly, losing a bit of fat.

I think I answered all the questions. Hope I didn't confuse the hell out of anyone with my answer. :p

ironbabe said:
I know alot of people don't believe you can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time

I've done it, sure it's possible :)

That is a very interesting theory on training. I almost want you to do it to SEE your results for something new to add in the forever-growing-Big Book-o-knowledge in my head :)

I thought you were referring to some type of steriod, then I read a little further ... and I was even more confused. Thank you for clarifying :D

Well, I have decided to go ahead and do it. I did it three times in a year (with big breaks inbetween doing a less intensive form of training) and put on alot of muscle. The muscle in the pic of my profile pic (formerly my avatar) was almost entirely because of GVT - and that was at 17% bf, when I got leaner my muscles were quite impressive (I MISS them!) DOMS is a B*$#@ on this training platform and I will have to up my calories or I'll be miserable, but at lease I have my glucorell and sesapure to help with the extra carbs and the t-rex and l-rex (is that even an acronym?) to help with the fat loss. Yea! Getting started tonight!

ironbabe said:
Well, I have decided to go ahead and do it. I did it three times in a year (with big breaks inbetween doing a less intensive form of training) and put on alot of muscle. The muscle in the pic of my profile pic (formerly my avatar) was almost entirely because of GVT - and that was at 17% bf, when I got leaner my muscles were quite impressive (I MISS them!) DOMS is a B*$#@ on this training platform and I will have to up my calories or I'll be miserable, but at lease I have my glucorell and sesapure to help with the extra carbs and the t-rex and l-rex (is that even an acronym?) to help with the fat loss. Yea! Getting started tonight!

I am familiar with this, except I've only done it in 4 sets of 25, starting with a comfortable weight for first set and then adding more weight each set.

This is how I built my legs, and it worked for my bi's and tri's as well. I was S-O-R-E for 2-3 days after each workout, so more time between workouts to re-coup.

DEFINITELY take the recovery time - I'm sure you already know this...Good luck!

oh yah....PICS!!!!! :Perk:

Top Bottom