Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Oh dear, oh dear!! Is it possible I've wasted my best potential growth years?

SteelWeaver

Oh, the revelations are coming thick and fast!

After thinking hard about everything on the "short , intense" thread, and everything I've read on the training board, I decided to give the lower volume idea a whirl. So I cut my volume by about 25%, and have done three workouts this way so far. The first doesn't count, since I worked light, but on Monday I did shoulders, and back yesterday.

The very first thing I noticed is that my weights went up significantly on the second and third moves - like, 4kgs on one-arm dumbbell rows! This is unheard of for me - strength increases are pretty consistent, but generally small. AND I'm on a diet.

This should be obvious, I suppose - if you do less on the first move, of COURSE you'll be able to do more on subsequent moves, but what REALLY got me is, if I can lift HEAVIER weights on all moves, then technically, my INTENSITY has increased, opening the door for greater stimulation of the muscle, correct?

Oh, lord! Have I been a fool? Have I wasted all my quick growth beginner years training like a juicer without juice????

How come I never felt overtrained, though?

It's still sort of too early to tell, I guess, and now is probably not the best time to figure this all out, but what really gets me is, if I have been way overtraining all this time, how I mourn the size I could have achieved by now!!! :bawling: :bawling:

Any comments? Am I correct about the intensity thing?

I got my ACE certification as a personal trainer (I know, not the best organization, but most people hiring a trainer have NO IDEA anyway between ACE, NSCA, etc. & don't even care - took the test so I could train if need be.)

Anyway - ACE quotes the recommendations of ACSM - which is a well respected scientific organization & considered an authority on sports med. ACE quotes the ACSM recommendations of doing 8-12 reps per set.

& yet NSCA, well respected sports conditioning organization, quotes 5-6 reps per set for strength. I have no clue who is right - but I'm leaning towards the strength people, including the USA Weightlifting Organization (My coach is certified with NSCA & teaches the USAW coach course).

I'm also being told not to go to failure - only in certain mesocycles - which I haven't begun yet.

I'm rambling - but have to say that one thing I have learned is that no one really knows for SURE! There is no one set combo of sets/reps/intensity that is THE ideal to get stronger. So good for you that something is working well!

Spatts - of all the stuff I've read here about PL, I haven't come across much on mesocycles & percentages. You do periodize, right? I have been exposed to my teammates working at X% X weeks out from a meet - & it's all structured like that.

My coach used to write their percentages on the walls of the warehouse in chalk. :bawling:

Top Bottom