Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Newbie and Frustrated

PegasusStar said:
Vixensghost...it has been a while since they were checked...I know that this is probably the first thing I should do, I do have plans to get the blood test soon, hopefully everything will be corrected with the meds

Guardian, I was very interested in Clen last year when I was wanting to buy some but I think if I get any Ill wait till I get my BMI % a bit lower...Im at 29% right now..and Im a bit worried about the side effects, so I never took it.

Im really ready for a new start here...ready to get the diet strait, and more lifting, This is my first week, and Im keeping logs of everything I eat/drink

thanks again everyone for all the great advice.
Have you made a log here on ef? I would like to see it. :)

Pegasus- I was curious what your thyroid hormone levels were.

Yes, get it checked out doll..CALLLLL TODAY and set up an appointment. :)

PegasusStar said:
Oh, another thing, here is what I ate last 12 hours (did an overnight shift in the ER)

6p- NY steak fat removed 5ox
Mac and cheese made with 1% milk and low fat cheese- 0.5 cup

12 midnight- Grilled Chicken 1oz
Pasta with marinara sauce 0.5 cup

3am- Grilled chicken from El Pollo Loco 1 breast
Steamed Veggies

I will likely get off work and go to bed at 7am so I may finish the grilled chicken first (I ate 3/4 of it)

Also drank 5 glasses of water

What do you think? Too much pasta?

The guy that told me not to drink the protein shake was just someone at the health store who said something like I would get more protein by eating it (like a chicken breast) than it would be absorbed if I drank it other than post workout????? does this make sense?

Welcome!

Ok, You have to get rid of the mac & cheese and the pasta. Those items are VERY fattening!!!!

Keep it simple: 5 to 6 meals per day consisting of
Scrambled egg whites, oatmeal
Grilled chicken, salads, Yams, brown rice
Fish, lean steak, turkey, vegetables, WATER, lots of it.
Now, make 5-6 meals out of those items and you'll be on your way in addition to your weight training, cardio workouts.
Yes, you can have protein drink. I usually, I have it after working out when is best to have just protein.
Skip the pro bars (they have fillers)

Did I misses anything? hmmm...

PegasusStar said:
Also just curious, why the egg based instead of the Designer Whey? Im very new to protein powder

It's a better choice for someone with hypothyroid or milk allergy - IMHO.

People prefer whey over egg white because you digest it faster which is good for muscle synthesis ( and it tastes better)

Designer Whey has lecithin in it which is a form of soy - also bad for hypothyroid. (that said look at all labels regardless of what protein you choose, even some of the egg powders have soy).

Some people will tell you to only eat real food and not to eat protein powders period. :whatever:

Experiment and take notes on your progess and how you feel - that's the only true way to know what is best for you.

Vigensghost-

Yes, I am also curious too...honestly my thyroid hormone has not been checked in 3 years!!...why *shame and embarrased* I was actually a resident in Emergency Medicine...I wrote myself for my own Synthroid, and I can feel if I miss a week of meds that I start to get tired and dazed, and so now I take it every day, the same dose as before...I havent had it checked b/c I hate needles..hehe..and I was just going by how I felt..i know this is REALLY stupid!! I now have insurance and I can do this now. You make a great point and thanks for that...I need to get this done NOW.

Velvett-
Thanks for the added info on the protein shake..not sure why is it better, but Im willing to change the protein powder....Im really sad that Soy is bad for hypothyroid...what if I take it and my hormone levels are normal, can I still take it...??
Heart disease runs in my family...my mother died at 46 yrs old and 2 of her brothers in their mid 40s and her dad at 45...Im totally freeked about it, but I can say, im more fit than any of them every where..still it is a family trait..and im terrified..im only 31, but if I had a kid now and died when my mother did, my child would be only14-15 yrs old...so heart health is very impt to me.

Needtogetaas-
I have not made a log, but I would LOVE to!!! Where do I do that at, I would LOVE all of you to review it...see where my flaws are...OMG that would be awesome...where do I do this at? Ive been doing it on SparkPeople.com..Used to use Fitday, but Spark is a weight loss place that you can actually put in a Name brand, and they seem more comprehensive, b/c/ if you eat at Subway, they have all the meals there, ect....but I would def post here if you could tell me where.

Thandi-
Thanks for the info..i have long avoided protein bars, even zone and cliff and luna b/c I felt they first tasted horrible and then too sweet...everything seem to have Chocolate..and I hate sweets...much would rather have a REAL meal than any dessert...i swing the other way for women I guess.

The example menue you gave is very much what I can eat..im not picky (that is my problem..hehe) but my ? is...can I add spices...rosemary, paprika, garlic, onion, ect...will that be ok?....if it is dry or fresh?

The pasta and mac and cheese, yeah, I know..my FI makes this for me sometimes..like 2x a month, b/c we work overnights and we are both ER docs..so we have horrible schedules...but he used Whole grain pasta, low fat milk, and 2% cheese..he is really trying hard to help me, but do I just need to say NO WAY all together, although he is trying so hard?

It seems like it is all or nothing here...Give up the milk or cheese even if skim or no fat..right? All pasta gone, even if whole wheat...if so, Ill do it...I swear im mentally ready, which I think is a lot of problems with the "im going on a diet' B/C it WILL be a lifestyle change..I just need to know the limits..I need to know...

No milk, no cheese, no matter how non fat or low fat it is...
I will give it up, I can eat and will eat anything...almost.

This isnt about me being hungry, it is about me doing the best for my body.

Last night I ate chicken and veggies all night long, I craved for something to have still, so I ate 5 wheat thins..and I was happy, then I lifted for an hour..

Im feeking hungry like crazy...maybe it is "I need carbs" but Im fighting that so much right now and I know that will get easier.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU....you guys are awesome...Thanks for answering my ?s in an honest way and for even caring...Why didnt I come here earlier? I will def recomend you guys to all I know!

Welcome back Pegasus. :)

It sounds like the gang has already helped lead you in the right direction. It gets easier faster than you realize. You'll stop craving those crap foods and your body will demand the good stuff. Veggies, brown rice and chicken/fish is the best way to go. It might sound boring, but you'll reach your goals faster. Water is your friend!! :)

Good luck and congrats!!

PegasusStar said:
Vigensghost-

Yes, I am also curious too...honestly my thyroid hormone has not been checked in 3 years!!...why *shame and embarrased* I was actually a resident in Emergency Medicine...I wrote myself for my own Synthroid, and I can feel if I miss a week of meds that I start to get tired and dazed, and so now I take it every day, the same dose as before...I havent had it checked b/c I hate needles..hehe..and I was just going by how I felt..i know this is REALLY stupid!! I now have insurance and I can do this now. You make a great point and thanks for that...I need to get this done NOW.

Velvett-
Thanks for the added info on the protein shake..not sure why is it better, but Im willing to change the protein powder....Im really sad that Soy is bad for hypothyroid...what if I take it and my hormone levels are normal, can I still take it...??

Heart disease runs in my family...my mother died at 46 yrs old and 2 of her brothers in their mid 40s and her dad at 45...Im totally freeked about it, but I can say, im more fit than any of them every where..still it is a family trait..and im terrified..im only 31, but if I had a kid now and died when my mother did, my child would be only14-15 yrs old...so heart health is very impt to me.

Needtogetaas-
I have not made a log, but I would LOVE to!!! Where do I do that at, I would LOVE all of you to review it...see where my flaws are...OMG that would be awesome...where do I do this at? Ive been doing it on SparkPeople.com..Used to use Fitday, but Spark is a weight loss place that you can actually put in a Name brand, and they seem more comprehensive, b/c/ if you eat at Subway, they have all the meals there, ect....but I would def post here if you could tell me where.

Thandi-
Thanks for the info..i have long avoided protein bars, even zone and cliff and luna b/c I felt they first tasted horrible and then too sweet...everything seem to have Chocolate..and I hate sweets...much would rather have a REAL meal than any dessert...i swing the other way for women I guess.

The example menue you gave is very much what I can eat..im not picky (that is my problem..hehe) but my ? is...can I add spices...rosemary, paprika, garlic, onion, ect...will that be ok?....if it is dry or fresh?

The pasta and mac and cheese, yeah, I know..my FI makes this for me sometimes..like 2x a month, b/c we work overnights and we are both ER docs..so we have horrible schedules...but he used Whole grain pasta, low fat milk, and 2% cheese..he is really trying hard to help me, but do I just need to say NO WAY all together, although he is trying so hard?

It seems like it is all or nothing here...Give up the milk or cheese even if skim or no fat..right? All pasta gone, even if whole wheat...if so, Ill do it...I swear im mentally ready, which I think is a lot of problems with the "im going on a diet' B/C it WILL be a lifestyle change..I just need to know the limits..I need to know...

No milk, no cheese, no matter how non fat or low fat it is...
I will give it up, I can eat and will eat anything...almost.

This isnt about me being hungry, it is about me doing the best for my body.

Last night I ate chicken and veggies all night long, I craved for something to have still, so I ate 5 wheat thins..and I was happy, then I lifted for an hour..

Im feeking hungry like crazy...maybe it is "I need carbs" but Im fighting that so much right now and I know that will get easier.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU....you guys are awesome...Thanks for answering my ?s in an honest way and for even caring...Why didnt I come here earlier? I will def recomend you guys to all I know!

Thandi-

Yes, you can add any spices; dry or fresh. The food will taste better. People are under the misscoception that to diet, food needs to be bland, but is not. Is when they add, fats, creams, breading, flour that it becomes fattening and unhealthy.
Log your food, it will become easier and it will give you a window of what you're eating.

Last edited:
PegasusStar said:
Velvett-

Because whey is milk plasma, I would steer clear from it but we're all different experiment with it if you really don't like the idea of egg white protein and see if there's any effect in relation to your meds.

Soy is just a bad source of food period and it's a cheap filler and binder in so many foods now (even "olive oil" dressings are made with soybean oil) - I would stay clear of soy and all its by products as much as possible. When eat things that do not come in a box, jar or can it's pretty easy to eliminate the bad stuff.

As for heart disease keep up on your clean eating and lean meats/healthy fats, cardio, keep your body fat low and consistent (visceral fat around the organs is what you want to keep clear of), aside from your HT med management get your basis blood work done every 6 months and a full physical and of course make sure they know your family history so they fully test you.

I always suggest someone that is getting into excersize or weight lifting to take up a sport. For a women it could be tennis, racket ball ,swimming maybe basketball atleast 2 times a week something with alot of movement.This will allow you to get you're adrenaline pumping ,heat rate up, a great cardio workout along with body conditioning

This way you will be around other people that are into fitness or play sports, making a few new friends chances are one or two of them will be in the gym a few days a week.
Finding some one of them that is physically active to show you the ropes that will really help out in the gym by showing you excersizes , how the machines work . Maybe enroll in a step class? Or a kickboxing class?

This way you will have fun and burn calories at the same time during you're sport. Slowly as you advance in you're new sprort you will start to throw in some weight training or strenght training.

What you wil be doing is transforming from a secondary person thats spend alot of time non active , To a active person that just wants to get out and play some tennis or go to the gym, work out maybe a girl that loves to go to the gym and kickbox?. You are transforming you're entire " lifestyle" to be a healthy person that watches what they eat, likes to go for a walk/runs and really looks forward to excersize and has fun doing it

Once you get used to excersize or playing a sport a few times a week with a sensible diet I am sure the weight will melt right off.

Lots of stuff to learn about deit , I read a book that said when you enter grocery shop walk the outside lane of the store Never go in the middle.
This way you walk to the veggies and fruits pick up what you need , next stop dairy for some lowfat no sugar added natural flavor yogart , eggs, skim 2% milk , cottage cheese, Then off to the meat section for some chicken,fish, turkey.
This should be the bases of you're diet.

STAY OUT OF THE MIDDLE OF THE STORE you avoid all the prepackaed processed foods.Like pastas , canned salty foods, breads, chips, candy and other crap.

If you think about it , it all really makes sense to following a good diet .

Top Bottom