Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Newb Q: If you can't gain muscle while losing fat...

ExoticSiren

Hello everyone. :) Quick and to the point: If you can't gain muscle while losing fat, what is going on with the muscle when you are lifting AND doing cardio AND maintaing a calorie deficit? Are you just ensuring you don't burn muscle as well as fat?

I ask this because for about 2.5 months I've started going to the gym 4-5 times a week, cardio (walking at an incline) 30 minutes each time, and lifting on the machines (arms and legs one day and back, chest, and abs the next). I've lost about 12 pounds. I just realized TODAY (>.<) that you can't lose fat and gain muscle at the same time... which may explain why I've only been able to increase the weight on each machine by 5 pounds the past couple months. So, basically: what's going on with my muscles when I am lifting if I am not gaining? or to dumb it down even more: If one is trying to lose fat by doing cardio and eating less, is there a "point" to lifting as well, besides the extra calories it burns?

Thanks in advance!

Hi there welcome ! I'm sure you can build at the same time depending on diet and how your training.
This is briefly my story. I trained for three years but last year I quit smoking and gained weight I was told this would help mw gain muscle and strength so I used the weight to build muscle then tweaked my diet when I started to see my top half take good shape. So I have over time gained some great bulk and then lost my bf down to around 15:/: still working at that though.
Hope this helps Hun
Donna

Hello everyone. :) Quick and to the point: If you can't gain muscle while losing fat, what is going on with the muscle when you are lifting AND doing cardio AND maintaing a calorie deficit? Are you just ensuring you don't burn muscle as well as fat?

I ask this because for about 2.5 months I've started going to the gym 4-5 times a week, cardio (walking at an incline) 30 minutes each time, and lifting on the machines (arms and legs one day and back, chest, and abs the next). I've lost about 12 pounds. I just realized TODAY (>.<) that you can't lose fat and gain muscle at the same time... which may explain why I've only been able to increase the weight on each machine by 5 pounds the past couple months. So, basically: what's going on with my muscles when I am lifting if I am not gaining? or to dumb it down even more: If one is trying to lose fat by doing cardio and eating less, is there a "point" to lifting as well, besides the extra calories it burns?

Thanks in advance!

Oh definitely:
increased metabolism
increased strength-really useful for evryday life
increased bone density
better support for the rest of your body, especially your joints
increased sense of well-being

The thing is, cardio inproves your cardiovascular system (lol). It is not ideal for burning fat. It also burns off muscle. if you want to be "skinny fat", just do a lot of cardio. Cardio burns off muscle at the same time as fat, so unless you are eating enough protein to spare your muscles, this is why you do not see increased lean muscle from lifting. You have to eat to grow.
If you want lean muscle, focus more on the lifting, and keep your cardio to a minimum. It depends on your goals. You could always "lose weight" first, and then try to build muscle on top of it.

Thanks trex! So you can strengthen your muscles without gaining muscle? My goal, for right now at least, was to lose fat but to become stronger. I really just want my body to be in a more healthy state. If every time I work out, I do 30 minutes of cardio and about 10 minutes of lifting... will this just allow me to lose fat without burning muscle? <- if I understood your reply correctly.

Well I would do more than 10 minutes ;)
I would say it is probably pretty difficult to even put on 5-10 pounds of muscle, so there is no WAY you are going to get big and bulky from lifting. Just less fat and more definition of whatever muscle you already have. If it were easy to put on muscle, there would be a lot more muscly people. It takes a lot more eating, heavy lifting and quality sleep (and steroids-ssh!) than most people are capable of committing to.
I recommend the book "Strength Training Anatomy" by Delavier. Your local library might have it.
take it out, get to know some exercises for your bodyparts and just start putting together a workout that works for you. if you like machines, work out on machines. If you like barbells, workout that way. Once you figure out what you like to do, you can take it from there. The most important thing is to practice good form and focus intensely on the muscles you are working.
Cardio can be done anytime, for me it is more of a stress reliever than a real workout. I just go running and I feel destressed.

Thanks trex! I'll definitely pick that up from the library... though I've been lifting weights for a couple months now. :) I really just wanted to make sure lifting wasn't a waste of time for me since I'm dieting and doing a lot of cardio.

Thanks trex! I'll definitely pick that up from the library... though I've been lifting weights for a couple months now. :) I really just wanted to make sure lifting wasn't a waste of time for me since I'm dieting and doing a lot of cardio.

yeah there are a ton of exercices in there, and it is all colour coded with anatomical drawings- i bought it, and it has proved invaluable. It is very detailed. It is good enough for either a beginner or a professional bodybuilder IMO.

Well I would do more than 10 minutes ;)
I would say it is probably pretty difficult to even put on 5-10 pounds of muscle, so there is no WAY you are going to get big and bulky from lifting. Just less fat and more definition of whatever muscle you already have. If it were easy to put on muscle, there would be a lot more muscly people. It takes a lot more eating, heavy lifting and quality sleep (and steroids-ssh!) than most people are capable of committing to.
Cardio can be done anytime, for me it is more of a stress reliever than a real workout. I just go running and I feel destressed.

I would echo what Trex is saying. For most people, who are drug free, 5-10 lbs of muscle in a year would be a big accomplishment, especially us women. As a newbie though, you should see some muscle gain in the first few months of lifting, even eating at a deficit, if you are lifting enough (probably more like 30-45 mins per session) and eating an adequate amount of protein.

When I first started training I really had no muscle to speak of and I was able to lose a lot of fat but also build some muscle as well (though it takes longer then focusing on one or the other). As you progress and your body starts to change, you have to change what you are doing, too, but if you switched your routine around and did 30 mins of lifting and 10 mins of cardio, I think you'd continue to see good results and probably more effective results with that additional muscle. :)

Top Bottom