Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

New to fitness and could do with some advice pls

Thanks! Be cautious of low carb and going too low. You'll see quick results but most people can't sustain low carb and the rebound is brutal. Carbs are actually more muscle sparing than protein and aren't the enemy but moderation and carb timing/ choices make a big difference.

Keep up the good work and we are always here to support and motivate! :)

Maybe I should just reduce the calories instead then? Would reducing cals by 500 per day get a 2lb loss per week? Or would 1000 less be better?

Hello,
Im completely new to working out, I joined the local gym yesterday and really enjoyed it. Ive never been in a gym before yesterday but I feel motivated and really want to lose weight and build a bit of muscle.
I am 37yrs old, 5ft 3 and weigh 200lbs (ugh).
The gym instructor has advised me to do 10 mins of treadmill, 10 mins of rowing machine and 10 mins of bike, then over to the weights where there is 8-16 reps of back, abs, legs arms machines. This will work as pretty much anything you do when just starting out will work, but I can give you a bit of a better suggestion. I would recommend doing a warmup of 10 min on any of the cardio machines you mentioned above. From there go to your weights and to start out I would recommend 2-3 days per week of weights doing full body workouts on each one. This means one chest, back, shoulder, bicep, tricep exercise about 2-3 sets, you also want to do 2 different leg exercises, do one calf exercise and 2 ab exercises. Obviously you do need to work into this, but this will be a great begenning. Once you are done with your weights then go do the cardio & yes it can be 10 min on each cardio piece listed above, but really what you need is 30 min high intensity cardio. You may need to start with less like 15 to 20 min and work you way up though. High intensity means heart rate above 130.
it took me around 45 mins to do it all, didnt like the bike.
My main concern is the weight loss. Can someone pls point me in the right direction here. Do I eat before I go to the gym? Yes you should never train on an empty stomach.
How many times should I go per week, I thought 3? 2-3 days per week for the weights part and cardio right after on days you lift. On days you do not do weights just come in and do cardio and do 30 min high intensity. I would not do more than 5-6 days total of everything.
Has anyone been in my situation and succeeded in losing the weight and getting toned up? Absolutely...I have helped quite a few be successful in your situation. Most recently was a girl who started at 210 and in one year we had her down to 150. It really has to do with just how bad you want it.
Should I eat smaller meals through the days and what should I be eating? All this certain % of protein and carbs and all that talk confuses me, Help!! There was an earlier posting about writing everything down you eat this is VERY important and is often a huge eye opener. Don't make things too complicated...you should eat about 4-5 small meals per day, you should have protein in each meal, cut back on the garbage, eat dark green veges and salads (not loaded with tons of dressing), cut back on starchy carbs. Portion sizes without actually weighing everything an easy way to figure is it should not be larger than the palm of your hand. Not totally accurate but is a good starting point. I and everyone else here will be more than happy to help you more. If you would provide your food diary we can give you lots more help.

Just remember the most important thing is to take your time and don't always go by the scale (go by how your clothes fit as they do not lie).

Hi there and thanks to the above person who gave some brilliant advice. I had lost 6lbs with working out and diet change and then it seems I have put on 2lbs back?? At first i thought it was water retention but it's still there after 3 days, my diet isn't to blame as I have been logging with my fitness pal. It seems a bit weird to regain 2lbs don't it?

Hi there and thanks to the above person who gave some brilliant advice. I had lost 6lbs with working out and diet change and then it seems I have put on 2lbs back?? At first i thought it was water retention but it's still there after 3 days, my diet isn't to blame as I have been logging with my fitness pal. It seems a bit weird to regain 2lbs don't it?
f

Hey well done hun!

Can I just check are you weighing yourself at the same time near enough. I tend to weigh myself morning only just by the end of the day you will gain more weight naturally ...
Donna

Yes I weigh on a Saturday morning. The 2lbs has gone now! It was weird how it was there for 2 days then went. As long as it's gone

Yes I weigh on a Saturday morning. The 2lbs has gone now! It was weird how it was there for 2 days then went. As long as it's gone

Well that's good news! I'd blame the scales lol!

Weight can fluctuate so much day to day..especially for us women with our fun hormones. If I carb load on one day, I'll be up 3-4 lbs the next. Things like measurements and pics can help too, especially when the number on the scale isn't moving much. :)

I'm such an idiot, I've gone and bloody weighed myself again and it says a 1lb up again. Need to get my fella to hide the scales cos it brings me down seeing a gain even tho I know it can't be fat. Should I cut out carbs?

I'm such an idiot, I've gone and bloody weighed myself again and it says a 1lb up again. Need to get my fella to hide the scales cos it brings me down seeing a gain even tho I know it can't be fat. Should I cut out carbs?

I hate scales I hardly ever use them I use callipers instead. You tried callipers? Think you don't need to worry bout cutting out carbs for the sake of a lb or two !!

Donna

Top Bottom