Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Need some expert advice :)

Bluebird1108

Hi there!

I wanted to get some expertise and help please :)
I am a 30 year old female, avid runner, 5'7", 140lbs - I am "skinny fat" - I am not exactly sure of my body fat % but I believe it to be in the mid 20's - my goal is to reduce it by 10% to start. I have recently started weight lifting and focusing more on my diet (up the protein mainly - I do not eat gluten or dairy - eating mainly eggs, quinoa, natural peanut butter, green veggies, raw nuts, some fruit). I am eating 4 to 5 smaller meals per day including a protein shake with bcaa's and glutamine post workout along with a daily multivitamin. Is this a good start?

I had a few questions:
1. Just beginning a weight lifting regimen, what would you suggest I do? A total body workout or focus on one muscle group per day?
2. What are your thoughts on IF? I was thinking of doing 1 day on and 1 day off consistently for a few weeks (from what I have read, the benefits are great)but don't know enough to really feel comfortable with it right now.
3. I run 25 to 30 miles a week and do not want to reduce this, but have heard that I could be prone to losing muscle mass - how do I avoid this?
4. It was recommended to look into taking creatine for weight lifting - I don't know much about it and wanted to know if this will help me cut fat and build muscle?

My main goal is to really lean out and improve my muscle physique.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out - I am extremely focused on doing this the right way.

Hi there!

I wanted to get some expertise and help please :)
I am a 30 year old female, avid runner, 5'7", 140lbs - I am "skinny fat" - I am not exactly sure of my body fat % but I believe it to be in the mid 20's - my goal is to reduce it by 10% to start. I have recently started weight lifting and focusing more on my diet (up the protein mainly - I do not eat gluten or dairy - eating mainly eggs, quinoa, natural peanut butter, green veggies, raw nuts, some fruit). I am eating 4 to 5 smaller meals per day including a protein shake with bcaa's and glutamine post workout along with a daily multivitamin. Is this a good start?

I had a few questions:
1. Just beginning a weight lifting regimen, what would you suggest I do? A total body workout or focus on one muscle group per day?
2. What are your thoughts on IF? I was thinking of doing 1 day on and 1 day off consistently for a few weeks (from what I have read, the benefits are great)but don't know enough to really feel comfortable with it right now.
3. I run 25 to 30 miles a week and do not want to reduce this, but have heard that I could be prone to losing muscle mass - how do I avoid this?
4. It was recommended to look into taking creatine for weight lifting - I don't know much about it and wanted to know if this will help me cut fat and build muscle?

My main goal is to really lean out and improve my muscle physique.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out - I am extremely focused on doing this the right way.

I like to split it up for beginers at lifting allows more recovery time.

Suggested split
Monday Back and biceps
Tuesday cardio
Wenesday Chest shoulders and triceps
Thursday cardio
Friday Legs
Saturday cardio
Sunday rest

If you don't want to reduce running keep in mind you will remain jiggly most marathon runs are what many would consider skinny fat. Compare a marathon runner to a sprinter pretty clear to see which has the better body looks wise.

Creatine is not a fat burner it can help build muscle but for a beginner I would say stick with getting a good clean diet before adding in supplements.

Welcome to Elite be sure to check out http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/w...e-fitness-womens-forum-start-here-678961.html it has a wealth of training and diet information.

If you could list your current meal plan: including how many meals, portions, what you eat and when you eat.

Along with the macro's if you are not sure how to calculate that sign up for www.fitday.com it's free plug in what you have eatin for the day it will give you a macro break down.

Thanks superqt.

Here is a typical day:

7am - 2 eggs, fruit
10 am - protein smoothie (w/ coconut milk, berries, peanut butter, rice protein powder)
1pm - nuts/dry fruit mix (about 1/2 cup) - (almonds, cashews, macadamia nuts and dried berries)
3pm - KIND fruit/nut bar (convenience with getting ready to leave work)
7pm - chicken or ground beef (about 5 oz), vegetable (asparagus, broccoli, or cabbage), sweet potato

Not sure of the macros. I did have a question thought - if I want to cut fat and gain muscle, what would I want my macronutrients to be at? Also, calculating my BMR it says to intake 1453 to maintain my weight - does this mean I need to eat less calories to lose fat?

Thank you!
Kristin

"If you don't want to reduce running keep in mind you will remain jiggly most marathon runs are what many would consider skinny fat. Compare a marathon runner to a sprinter pretty clear to see which has the better body looks wise."

I didn't know that but now that you mention it, maybe marathoners are a bit jiggly. I always had it in my head that running helps you lose fat and build muscle in your legs but I guess it's the type of running you do.

I would recommend total body work out 2-3 times per week with light cardio only on off days 20-30 mins. I agree with sprints being better at fat burning as well, but again I would not do them on weight training days. Don't forget the best way to burn fat is to build more muscle. Every other day off is perfect. I say total body because it'll help you build total body strength for a better foundation before you start focussing on single muscle groups. Diet sounds decent, just would recommend front loading a lot of good carbs at breakfast to jump start your metabolism. That always helps me :) Karbolyn is great and tastes like an orange push-pop! 50g designer carb per scoop. It's a great stimulant-free pre-workout energy boost as well.

"nothin' in life is above bein' honest" - 311

I would recommend total body work out 2-3 times per week with light cardio only on off days 20-30 mins. I agree with sprints being better at fat burning as well, but again I would not do them on weight training days. Don't forget the best way to burn fat is to build more muscle. Every other day off is perfect. I say total body because it'll help you build total body strength for a better foundation before you start focussing on single muscle groups. Diet sounds decent, just would recommend front loading a lot of good carbs at breakfast to jump start your metabolism. That always helps me :) Karbolyn is great and tastes like an orange push-pop! 50g designer carb per scoop. It's a great stimulant-free pre-workout energy boost as well.

"nothin' in life is above bein' honest" - 311

Thank you so much. I started doing compound exercises to start (deadlifts, squats, military press, row, bench press). I still run but have cut back and started more sprints and stairs. I definitely see and feel a difference. My body weight has increased buy I've gained more muscle. I will definitely look into Karbolyn.

Running is a fabulous form of cardio. No reason to drop it. Doing constant steady state cardio of ANY kind is not the best for fat loss - whether it is running, elliptical, stairs, etc. So it is not that you need to stop running, but just changing your types of workouts that is important. Most amrathoners are leaner with less muscle because of their CONSTANT steady state, long run training. Marathoners RARELY lift weights - they feel like the extra muscle will slow them down. So the body they get is a result of the exact training they do. These are also people who run 100+ miles per week - and JUST running. If you are doing about 30 miles per week, I doubt you will not end up skinny fat. BUT, with that much steady state, it may take longer to reach your goals, just because steady state is not the best for reducing fat. Also, 25-30 miles per week is not enough training to reduce muscle mass - IF you are eating a protein high diet and doing a well-thought-out weight plan.

I love running - both steady state and sprints. Sprints can be a GREAT form of HIIT, as well as stairs. There is a place for long steady state runs too - you just have to plan out your workouts and stick to them. Not a random "ahh, what do I feel like doing today" kind of mindset. I think you are doing a great thing - changing to include some sprints. Steady state cardio has it's place in a program, but it should not be the main focus.

As far as lifting weights, I would definitely focus on compound movements. I rarely do isolation movements, and never for legs (but that is me). Compound movements will give you more bang for your buck and maximize your time and results.

Hi Bluebird1108, Welcome! I couldn't help but notice our similar usernames, so please accept a week membership for you to take a look around Elite!

Top Bottom