Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Need a good ab workout

NOT anything substantial...there is a new AB bench that allows you to attach free weights to it, I think its my favorite...I also do decline bench sit-ups with weight...Holding the weight in front on my upper chest...I dont put any weight, ever on the back of my neck when doing ab work, thats me tho...I would not recommend it, however alot of people do it. The decline bench can be adusted for resistance levels...You probably wont need to add weight in the begining, just increase the angle of the bench and let gravity be your weights, until you are ready to add steel...Do Not go all the way down to a Flat-Back position when Declining.....Keep the upper back up off of the bench, meaning keep the restistance and the contraction on the ABS throughout the range of motion...I do approx.8 sets of ABS WORK.. REALGAINS would have a good routine for you-just ask, he is very knowledgable...ABS CAN BE OVERTRAINED hence, no BRICKS.....

PBR said:
Remember something about ABS...they are made up of the same muscle tissue as all the other muscles, so in order for them to become strong and bigger ( six-pac-like) you have to train with resistance.....weights are a great way to acheive this, and take alot less time than doing 1000 sit-ups..

while that is true they do require:

More reps
Slower cadence

due to the short stroke of the muscle

PBR said:
NOT anything substantial...there is a new AB bench that allows you to attach free weights to it, I think its my favorite...I

My gym has that type of ab bench. I'll have to try it.

One thing I do whatever ab exercise I'm doing is squeeze hard at the contraction, to really make sure it's my ab muscles I'm working and not anything else. Sometimes I'll do 2 or 3 mini reps or hold a few seconds at the top to really cook them. A lot of people I see doing abs seem to be just rocking back and forth, letting momentum do the work rather than the abs.

lucidBlue said:

My gym has that type of ab bench. I'll have to try it.

Sit with your back on a preacher bench in front of a high pulley

Finally.... my abs feel like they had a workout. They hurt!:D

Here's what I did:

Hanging leg raises 3x20
Weighted Crunches 3x20
Legs to Right/Left Crunches (weighted) 3x15
Decline Bench Crunches (no weight) 3x15

I tried the ab bench, but it felt really awkward... maybe because I'm only 5'4"? There aren't any adjustments on the machine.

I'm not feeling the pain enough in my obliques... any suggestions? I definitely feel it in my lower abs, which I usually don't.

Thanks to everyone for their input it has been very helpful!

YOu need to try the bicycles with upper body in motion - they hammer the obliques.....

Cornholio said:
YOu need to try the bicycles with upper body in motion - they hammer the obliques.....

I used to do bicycles with upper body in motion 3x30, but wasn't feeling much. Maybe my form was off? I tried to go slowly instead of fast.

could be.

The legs should be nearly parallel to the ground when they are extended form the body...also make sure that the shoulder blades are off the ground as well.

Top Bottom