Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Myth about "chunky, thick" PL's really a myth?

SteelWeaver

Alright, I know this is going to cause a bit of debate, but debate is always a good way to get folks thinking. So, I'd like to know if the whole thing about PL's being too thick/disproportionate for BB'ing is really a myth. Now, spatts, this doesn't apply to you - we already know you have some lovely genes flowing through your tiny waist ... I'm just asking in general. Does PL'ing result in a less "eye-pleasing" physique (from a BB'ing judge's point of view) than strict BB'ing training????

Are the cross-over PL/BB'ers the genetically lucky ones - strong AND shapely? Or are the majority of PL'ers (I'm talking WOMEN here), thick in the wrong places for BB'ing?

Please note - I'm asking this because I don't know, not just to fire a debate. I want to try WSB PL training, but I have a pretty huge waist to start with - am I going to ruin the small chance I have to be reasonably good at BB'ing by following a PL routine? How important is it for a BB'er to be that strong? We already know there isn't a direct correlation between strength and size .....

Opinions?

Hey thanks spatts - I appreciate your input. Acutally, you touched on something I was intending to ask you today anyway - about eating. You've said several times in the past few months that you've got leaner but put on more muscle since starting WSB. I'm interested in what sort of calorie levels you've been maintaining. I take it you're not actively "cutting", but not actively trying to increase mass either???? I haven't hit the "I can't take the tight pants anymore" point YET, but I swear I'm not more than a few weeks from that - I'm looking at what I should do - go onto maintenance calories and hope some of the fat goes away and I continue to gain muscle, or actively cut for a few weeks, which would suck, since I only have a few weeks left with my trainer, and I want to maximise gains with her as much as possible.

Anyway, re: the chunky look - I actually meant AFTER a cutting diet - put a BB'er and PL'er together on a BB'ing stage in contest condition, and is there a noticeable difference in the width of their waists, overall proportions and symmetry??? For some PL'ers I know there's a big diff in "density" re your recent thread, but has the focus in BB'ing moved over to a focus on pure mass and thickness? What about shape? I know with Bergmann's (and Chepiga's) win there was talk of a move back to a more "shapely" FBB shape, but then Lenda came along and blasted that out the water (almost - but then again, she has a beautiful shape ...)

Is it really possible, say one's waist DOES thicken up, to increase lats/legs proportionately? what if they won't go any bigger? I know I don't have to worry about that much right now, but am interested to know anyway.

(and interested to try some more 5x5 - been doing some if it here and there :) )

SteelWeaver said:

We already know there isn't a direct correlation between strength and size .....

Opinions?

Really?

IMO, although i know little about powerlifting (spatts could clarify) structure can be a major influence in powerlifting success or not. The ideal powerlifting structure may not translate to the aesthetic flowing lines which is a big advantage in bodybuilding competitions, particularly for women.

To say that by training as a powerlifter you will develop such a physique is counter intuitive IMO, you can't change your genetic 'structure'.

At the end of the day, if you do deadlifts, free squats, rows etc, you will thicken your waist whether you do them powerlifting style or bodybuilding style..........you can chose not to do those exercises to preserve your waist size, but the cost of that will be smaller overall musculature.

in general, I don't think it's a myth.....I think it is one reason why stictly bbers do not perform well in Strongman events - the waist isn't muscular enough to support the insanely heavy weight in all the overhead events....Lou Ferrigno immediately comes to mind

The abs, obliques, and erectors are just like any other muscles....the heavier you repeatedly load them, the more they will respond with hypertrophy. This has nothing to do with the layer of fat you carry around your middle, and a good six pack will always look better than a soft, slim waist no matter what your goals are!!

Genetics also plays a huge factor here. If you have a long torso like spatts, you can get away with a lot more width through the midsection and still look well balanced. I have the world's shortest torso, and I am careful not to do too much that works them ultra heavy. In spite of that, I can still pull off an awesome dead lift, so I know there's some strength there too!

OK! So If my main goal is not PL (not quite strong enough) I should completly stop free squats, sl dead lifts and rows?:confused: One of my main goals right now is to lose a couple of inches on my waist. I also have a sort of long torso, not quite as long as spatts by by far not a short one. I now have a 27 inch waist and I would like to go for my pre-kid size waist a 24" waist.

Should I drop the squats etc.... And if so what should I do to replace those exercises?:bawling:

lovemymuscle

lovemymuscle said:
Should I drop the squats etc.... And if so what should I do to replace those exercises?:bawling:

lovemymuscle

I'm no expert but from what I've learned here...I'd keep the squats!

Lovemymuscle-don't stop doing those lifts! You are not going to put on inches on your waist from doing those, the size on your waist comes from what you put in your mouth!

Top Bottom