x
Almost there! Please complete this form and click the button below to gain instant access.
EliteFitness.com FREE Email Series: How You Can Use Winstrol, Masteron, HGH, and Testosterone for a Perfect, Muscular Physique!
- -
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe.
- -

my shins kill! what can i do??

Welcome to the EliteFitness.com Bodybuilding Site! Please join this discussion about my shins kill! what can i do?? within the Women's Fitness (Female Bodybuilding and Training) category.

Excerpt: im really not sure why, but my shins are killing me..everytime i walk they hurt. I have been walking every second morning (for about an hour) outdoors - hills, flats and declines...could it be from this? If so..can i continue to go for a walk again tomorrow or will this aggrevate the muscles more?

Read more or register here to join the discussion below...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Olympian

my shins kill! what can i do??

im really not sure why, but my shins are killing me..everytime i walk they hurt. I have
    been walking every second morning (for about an hour) outdoors - hills, flats and declines...could it be from this? If so..can i continue to go for a walk again tomorrow or will this aggrevate the muscles more?

Olympian

not such an expert...

i know my feet roll outward ie the outter edge of my shoes are usually more worn than the inner part of the sole.
    how would i know if its shins splints? can i put a heat gel on it to soothe the pain?

Olympian
    Overtrained.....REST.

please tell me anything but this

what about the beach tomorrow morning..i just cant sleep in the rest of the day will be so depressing without exercise! maybe if i took an easy walk..no running, no hills...

I get shin splints quite often to...but I find they can get really bad if I have on a pair of old shoes...you need to get new shoes every few months and that can help...I agree w/ spatts...go pump some iron and quit walking 30 miles a day..or get on the bike instead.

I used to get shin splints when I first started running or if I need new shoes. Putting an ice pack on them for 20 min a few times a day really helps.

Sounds like you might be overdoing the long walking. Do something else like bike until the shins calm down, then alternate forms of cardio. I love to run, but I alternate betw that, eliptical and rowing to stay fresh - makes the runs I do so much better.

The strengthening exercises mentioned above are very important. Shin splints result from too much pounding and/or a strength imbalance betw shin and calf muscles.

Could be lots of things, but let those shins heal. Don't aggravate them, you don't want this to become chronic.

If its shin splints

If you have shin splints, try this to prevent them from getting worse; Take a cake roller and roll it up and down you shins, it hurts like hell but it works.

Also try these exercises to help strengthen the muscles around you shin;
    1. Sit on a surfact where your feet cannot touch the floor easily, then fill a bucket with sand or water, hold it with your feet and lift it a few times
    or
    2. Take a loose weight (barbell weight) and do some toe lifts

Good luck

Olympian
    thanks for all your advice girls...

i put voltarin gel on them last nite..which helped.
    i think i will just stick to my weights till they calm down. [email protected] if i did wana do a little exercise the bike would be ok?

options

bicycling is a good alternative to walking/jogging. Also, have you ever heard of a Fitness Flyer? I have one that I use quite frequently when my shins are acting up. It's great cardio without the added stress on the shins. There is also the ski machine. Anything like that, where you don't have to actually lift your foot off the ground would be good until they get better. Another thing that my Dr. told me to do is to sit on the floor with your knees up to your chest...wrap your arms around your knees and then ...keeping your heels on the floor...lift your toes/feet up and in towards your body then back to the floor. This helps strengthen. You might not want to do them til the pain gets a little better, but I think it's helped me and kept me from getting them so badly. Hope this helps.

Olympian
    ye i tried the bike and x-trainer instead of walk...was fine. They feel fine now, and i didnt have to skip my leg day either! : ))
    was great..thighs are nicely sore today

Good Bro
    I know how you feel. I got them when I was training for a show. I never layed off cuz I couldn't. I would put on long socks and put ice in a baggie and put them in my socks and ice my shins. I would rub them with the ice also. Don't keep it on too long. 5 minutes tops twice a day if you can.

Don't run or walk. Give them time to heal.