x
Almost there! Please complete this form and click the button below to gain instant access.
EliteFitness.com FREE Email Series: How You Can Use Winstrol, Masteron, HGH, and Testosterone for a Perfect, Muscular Physique!
- -
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe.
- -

More on Set Point theories, compulsive eating, SSRIs, etc...

Welcome to the EliteFitness.com Bodybuilding Site! Please join this discussion about More on Set Point theories, compulsive eating, SSRIs, etc... within the Women's Fitness (Female Bodybuilding and Training) category.

Excerpt: I found this to be an entertaining discussion on some of these concepts. More anecdotal than scientific, but i think it encompasses a lot of good stuff. I have a strong feeling that a lot of the cravings induced by BB type diets are from similar chemical imbalances and that maybe dieting BBs should be considered to be suffering from a self-induced compulsive eating disorder! Compulsive Eating From

Read more or register here to join the discussion below...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Olympian
    Hmmmm...interesting! As always, very good post MS.

Elite Mentor
    OK Starfish, I can see you have had some very bad experiences with SSRIs. But we seem to be on different channels here. First of all, I'm talking about Prozac, which has such a long half-life compared to other SSRIs, so the withdrawal sypmtoms are much more gradual. This is considered one of biggest benefits of using Prozac over other SSRIs. Secondly, I'm not talking about getting 'hooked' on the stuff. This takes a minimum of 6-8 weeks of continuous use which is how long it takes for it to make semi-permanent changes in transcription of receptors and neurotransmitters (all sorts of neurotransmitters, not just serotonin) and even changes in neuronal connections. This is in stark contrast to using it for 10 days each month where the only major change is in reuptake of serotonin in the synapse. It just gives you a serotonin boost at a time in a woman's cycle when she needs it most (especailly on a diet when tryptophan avaialibilty or uptake may be limiting so recycling the serotonin you already have is economical). This is not long enough to get hooked on it or develop withdrawal symptoms. Aside from that, there is a strong feeling (which I obviously share) that the extreme hormonal fluctuations that so many woman now experience each month are neither natural nor healthy. But that's a different topic. Suffice it to say that I believe that foods, drugs or exercise that can reduce these symptoms (or the hormonal fluctuations) are a good thing for women that suffer them.

" I'm sorry but if someone is that "desperate to shed bodyfat" maybe the should reevaluate some things. That is just my opinion, but to each their own. "

I won't disagree with that, but if that weren't the case then bodybuilding would die an instant death. Women do not just casually diet down to 6-8% bodyfat. Maybe it would be a good thing if that sport DID die out, but for now drugs of all sorts (I include stuff like caffeine, ephedrine etc... in the class of drugs) are an integral part of bodybuilding. They all have withdrawal problems. As I said earlier, I provide this info as just that...info so that women can make the most informed choices possible about what they put in their bodies. All drugs have benefits and side effects and each person should be given enough info to decide if the benefits outweigh the side effects, but side effects are an individual thing which cannot always be predicted until you actually try it. After all, carbohydrates are also serotonin boosters, and you should see the withdrwal symptoms some people go through when they try to stop those!!!!

Personally I agree with SteelWeaver. I would rather incorporate regular high carb refeeds to keep my serotonin levels in a healthy range. And I just give in to my sweet craving for ~1.5 days each month. 1 1/2 days is not going to make or break your physique, and it's much less traumatic than trying to fight the cravings and feeling guilty if you fail.