Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Migraines

V

velvett

I'm a migraine sufferer [stress induced mostly] and inbetween the migraines I have bad headaches. I can honestly say I have less than one week per month without pain.
I have tried 5 different migraine medications, the best being Maxolt but even that does not always help. I stopped taking over the counter medications because they only give me what my doctor described as rebound headaches.

I was just wondering if there is anyone else here with the same ailment and if you've found some sort of relief and if so - my God, what is it?

Hello,
First let me say I understand. I have migraines also. I was looking around for problems with PMS and such and came upon a book about premenopause. I don't know your age but, premenopause just means your body is starting to slow down and not make as much progesterone resulting in too much estrogen. In an excerpt from Dr. John R. Lee M.D. and his book "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Premenopause" he says, "Estrogen causes swelling in the brain the same way it does in the breasts. Enlarged blood vessels in the brain cause most migraine headaches. Estrogen can also deplete magnesium levels, which makes arteries more susceptible to spasm, a common cause of other types of headaches." He reccommends progesterone cream and magnesium. The progesterone cream must not say wild yam extract as that will not work. You need progesterone that says it has natural progesterone USP and has at least 20 mg of natural progesterone per application. I'm using Progesta-Care from Life-Flo. I found it at the Wild Oats store. I feel 100% better. My PMS has calmed down as well as the headaches. I don't feel as fatiged as I was. It won't hurt to try because progesterone is also reduced by stress, prescription drugs, etc. I suggest you read this book though before you start. It answers a lot of questions. Hope this helps.

Tball

Oh wow, that makes a lot of sense.
31, by the way and come to think of it I did increase a breast cup size in the past 9 months that I can't blame on excessive weight gain and my GYN did mention something to me about my progesterone levels. HUZAH!

Hmmph.

THANK YOU

... and my compressed brain thanks you.

Just wondering if you've ver kept a migraine diary? This is pretty much like a normal diary, but also takes note of when you have your migraines or oridinary headaches. By keeping track of stuff like what you've eaten (including amounts of water, food and it's saltiness etc... as well as alcohol), and where you are in your menstral cycle you can begin to get a pattern. Stuff like stress (whether work, personal or social) as well as possible trigger foods, or some types of weather may also help you. I know it sounds like a lot of work, but for most folks it is well worth the effort to try and pinpoint what is causing the headaches.

Yessireyybob, I've done the diary route. Unfortunately, the absolute constantly started to change... sigh.

When the barometer drops, lack of sleep (like missing a min. of 4 hours in one night for more than 2 days), I used to see them happen the fourth week (thursdays) of my cycle, if I drink a lot less than 1/2 gallon of water, red wine if I have red meat with it or olives (go figure), family related stress and large quantities of refined sugars.

Maybe, I'll start the diary again.

Hmmm

Thanks guys/gals.

Hehehe...don't forget that constipation will also cause some migraines so make sure you are eating adequate amounts of fiber to keeps "things" flowing. I'm serious too, but this is more than likely not the problem I know. LOL
MR. BMJ

I have had migraines all my life, and have a family history as well. They diagnosed me when I was little, maybe 7 or 8 years old. I've tried Ergostat and Fiorinal, neither did any good. The only thing that works for me is Midrin, and it works great. I can usually kill the migraine with the Midrin, and for the past 3 or 4 years since they started prescribing the Midrin for me, I've only had to go into the emergency room about once a year. Used to be every couple of months.

I've never tried the diary thing - maybe I'll start tracking in my workout journal. Might be interesting.

Fennec

I used to get Migraines, but now only very rarely.

Found out that they can be caused by an allergic reaction to some things we eat. In my case, spring onions, mature cheese, and sometimes chocolate could bring on a migraine.

Also found that when I was really hungry, this could also bring on a migraine. I believe it has something to do with too low a level of glucose in the brain.

Hope this helps.

I have had exactly the same problem, the week before my period I have a migraine. This happpens periodically i.e. I have none at all for 6 months then one every month for 6 months. I know the triggers and I recognise one coming on. Feeling ravenous no matter what you eat is a sign that one is about to happen, us. latter that day. I find it is a sign I am tired and need to rest. So when one comes on I go straight to bed and sleep for 24 hours. I have tried migraleve but found this encouraged me to 'carry on' which left me even more exhausted over the next few days. I no longer try to fight them and when they happen I just go with it and sleep as much as possible.

The best bet is (of course) to eliminate the triggers. But if this is not possible, then I find Imitrex to be my lifesaver. I actually have a lot fewer migraines since I've had access to Imitrex since I no longer get stressed at the first signs of a migraine. I think my anticipation of a migraine used to drive me towards the migraine if that makes any sense. Now I know I can get rid of it in 15 minutes if it gets bad. Great stuff.

Top Bottom