Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Migraines

I have tried Imitrix (in the nasal inhaler and in an IV in the hospital) but it didn't really work for me. Everyone is different, though. My grandma used to have Fiorinal work. My other grandma, nothing works for her, and her migraines last for weeks at a time! (I would just lay down and die, I think.) I had a friend who swore by an injectable, but I can't remember the name of it.

My old doctor, before I moved to a different state, used to take me straight into a back room and give me a shot in the butt of Demerol and Phenergyn (sp?) if it was so bad I had to go in. (If it was daytime I would go to his office rather than the hospital.) Then once when I went to the hospital, the ER doctor didn't want to give me the Demerol/Phenergyn, and he gave me oxygen through an oxygen mask, along with another drug I can't remember the name of, and that worked really well. For a while I was thinking about renting an oxygen tank to keep in the house for migraine emergencies, but I never looked into it further.

I had an interesting experience the last time I had to go to the hospital. First they gave me Imitrix in an IV drip - an hour later it wasn't doing anything for me, and I was still crying and throwing up, so then they gave me, of all things, benedryl in the IV. It worked, but had a strange effect - though the pain ceased, I could still feel that the migraine was still THERE, and it made me worry that the pain would come back if I moved wrong or turned my head too fast. It made me keep thinking "it's like walking on broken legs". That was wierd.

Also, I agree with MS, once you find something that works for you, just knowing that you have it will help stave off the impending migraine. I know exactly what you meant, MS, when you said the fear would drive you to it.

Fennec

[This message has been edited by Fennec (edited April 11, 2001).]

Thank you so much everyone for all your replies. My current migraine started March 30th and today will be the first day I will "call in sick".

Several things posted here I have tried but the Chirporator and the ER are the two I have yet to try. I have nothing to lose and I can't possibly be in more pain than I already am. You know, I think you actually start to get used to it - that's really even disturbing to type.

Considering I am deathly afraid of hospitals, I think I start with the Doctors office.

Side note: This is the first time I have ever heard from several people their own experiences and I have found some sick comfort in that notion. At work I have one boss that like to be the center of attention (victim complex) and when I come in death white and swollen she actually has the nerve to say, "oh well, look who has a headache - I'm telling you it's the weather, I know all about these things, I keep track of you." (I am most surprised I have not killed her yet.)

Sorry, I'm babbling.

Thanks again.

-k

You poor thing! Get thee to the doctor right away! Don't let it linger on for days - how have you been functioning at work?

Make sure you have someone to drive you or at least pick you up, because it's gonna knock you for a loop. You will most likely fall asleep within fifteen minutes to half an hour after they give you whatever they end up giving you, and you should expect to sleep all day.

Take care, sweetie!! Let us know how it turns out.

Fennec

Take Excedrin Migraine. Have you ever considered going to see someone who does accupuncture? I go once a week and I feel great!

------------------
:)

I have taken them all. I have had migraines since I was 8 years old, 24 now. I have taken preventative meds every day since. The only one that I have found to work is depakote 250. It is a seizure medication...but for some reason works on me. My younger sister has seizures...maybe a genetic link?

B True

Excedrin Migraine is the exact same product as the regular Excedrin. (How's that for marketing.)

Over the counter drugs have no effect on me anymore, other than lightening my wallet and making havoc on my stomach lining.

sigh

Fennec - thanks... : )

I made it to the doctor's office and she ironically enough suffers from migraines. In my social circle she is the only person I can talk to about this. People just don't understand that a headache is not a migraine, headaches are merely a symptom of a migraine.

Anyway, I balled and sobbed right there...I guess pain will do that to you. She gave me Zolmitriptan and Fioricet for the pain. Yet, after I broke down in front of her, she gave me Serzone (nefazodone)which I can only comfortably comment as being happy pills. I'm not thrilled, but I will do anything to feel better and improve the quality of my life.

So there you have it.

***keep your fingers crossed***

WOW, that's quite a cocktail of drugs. But the main thing for now is to get those migraines under control. Once you have some sort of control of them then you can start to work on preventing them. Good luck and PLEASE keep us posted.

Good News!

The Zolmitriptan and Fioricet seem to be working even though I've taken 4 Fioricet (1 zolm.) in the past 24 hours. Right now it feels like a low grade headache and if anything my head is just sore - if that's possible. I also took my first Serzone but those will have a delayed effect.

Teehee - *cocktail*. I like that term.

I will miss margaritas.

OH!

Here's an interesting site I found all about migraines if anyone is interested:

http://www.migraines.org/myth/mythreal.htm

I printed out the pages the link will bring you too and gave it to my bosses today. It was probably one of the better things I've done in a while. (We get along a lot like family so it wasn't odd for me to do such a thing.)

Thanks everyone. Your responses have really helped me stay sane.

I have only had one migraine.
MAN that HURTS!!!!
I went to the chiropractor everyday for a week and now I go a couple times a month.
Getting my neck adjusted did the trick for me! My not be your problem but worth a try!

Top Bottom