Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Mermaid 2006

Damn girl, you're stepping up to the plate, in very serious fashion :google:

I'm so happy for you :kiss:!!!

How ya likin' changing things up??? Gives it a little spice doesn't it, makes it more interesting :D

Nice job Mermaid, I like the change in attitude ;)

Oh and weight training 1st thing in the morning suck for me too. lol

Miss24k said:
Nice job Mermaid, I like the change in attitude ;)

Oh and weight training 1st thing in the morning suck for me too. lol
Shoot, I can't even do it after lunch! Last year I tried moving my weight routine from evening (6:00 to 8:00) to early afternoon on the weekends PFFFFFFFT, my muscles were like "you want what??? Get the hell out of here, give us at LEAST one more meal or you can forget that crap!"

MM - I definitely like changing up the weight routine, it's not dull at all and I actually feel like I am making more progress. But yes, no early AM weights for me at all.

Miss24k - yes, I've had a little attitude adjustment. Learning to fit my life around my fitness goals - not the other way around. It's unfamiliar territory and a bumpy road so far (I just feel so selfish!) but I'll just continue to work on it.

Logging now as the business dinner looms:

Wednesday 25 January

5.30am Gym
30 mins HIIT cardio - treadmill
3.5mph/8mph @ 10%

8.00am (Had to eat at work)
1 cup whites, 1 whole egg
2 slices Performax bread

11.00am
1/2 cup cottage cheese
6 prunes

2.30pm
About 2 cups chicken and sweet potato frittata (from local organic cafe)

5.30pm
3/4 cup all bran
1/2 cup milk

Then dinner. It's a leaving party for my fired colleague - company paid. I am driving so will not drink and I am not planning on having a cheat fest as I would rather do that with P on the weekend.

This took longer than I thought for ScorpioGirl, and there are changes to make for yours, so here we go! :) :wavey:

I needed to have a discussion with her about post workout nutrition, and it’s good info, so I’m going to keep this here. You really need a post workout shake, even if it means less food during the day. The research and real world results regarding post workout supplementation is too conclusive to ignore. Simply put, a post workout shake containing maltodextrin, dextrose, and whey protein (preferrably hydrolyzed) will dramatically increase your ability to recover from workouts. The reason is that your muscles have just used all their fuel (carbs), and assuming you have worked out with appropriate intensity, you have also created protein degradation that needs repaired. Getting those simple carbs (malto and dextrose) and simple proteins (hydrolyzed whey) in during and after a workout refills your glucose/glycogen stores and provides proteins for the rebuilding process...both at a time when insulin sensitivity is pretty much perfect. That means, assuming you don't go nuts with the amount of calories on the shake, that those nutrients are used exactly for your intent: fast recovery.

Now, on to the workout. If anyone is in your way, move them. :evil:

Day 1:
Squats: 5 sets of 8 (5x8)
Hanging Pikes: 4x8
---------
Swiss Ball situps: 3x10
Lunges or Step Ups: 2x12

Day 2:
Bench: 5x8
Bent Row: 5x8
------
DB Incline: 2x12
DB Row: 2x12

Day 3: OFF

Day 4:
Decline situps: 4x10
Light squats: 3x10
-----
Deadlift: 5x8
-----
Russian Twists: 2x10

Day 5:
Pullups: 6x6
Military Press: 5x7
------
Incline Press: 3x10
Preacher curl: 3x10

Day 6: OFF
Day 7: OFF

Let's talk about the program. :)

The program is based on big exercises, which should be selected whether you are bulking or cutting. Bulking or cutting will work most effectively when the most muscle mass is stimulated, and these exercises will do the job very well. The difference between bulking and cutting depends on 3 things: 1) primarily diet, 3) the amount of cardio performed, and 3) how you perform the exercises. I am bringing this up because you are going to see that I have given almost the exact same program to Mermaid. The difference will be the diet, amount of cardio, and how the exercises are performed.

For cutting, which you are doing :), we will decrease the amount of rest between exercises. Each day, I want you to superset the first pair of exercises with no rest, and then take 1 minute rest. So, for day 1, it will be squat, immediately to hanging pikes, rest 60 seconds, back to squat, etc. When you are done with those, you'll move into the second paired exercises and treat them the same way. Doing the exercises in this fashion allows some fun neural enhancement tricks to be used and gets a lot of work done in a short amount of time. The neural enhancement stuff keeps you a tiny bit stronger than normal. :)

On Day 4, start off the same way with the first pair of exercises, with 60 seconds rest between exercise pairs. The squats should be LIGHT to MODERATE. At no point should you reach failure on the squats for this day, ever. Speaking of squats, everything should be well past parallel, as far down as your anatomy will allow without bouncing out of the bottom. Your focus on this day is the deadlift.

When you get to the deadlift, take 90 seconds between sets. I want you straining and moving some weight, but I don’t want you to hit failure. Make sure the deadlifts hit the floor on every rep. Keep focused on the exercise and maintain perfect form. Deadlifts are metabolically expensive to perform, and you should definitely notice, assuming you are loading properly.

I’m going to leave cardio up to you. If you can do it in the morning, great! I would not advise doing HIIT on the mornings of leg days. That would be…interesting. :D LOL! :FRlol: Get creative with your cardio and have fun with it.

Everything, unless it says DB, is done with a barbell. Full situps on the swiss ball. The decline situps should be weighted, if possible.

Finally, let's talk loading and progression. I want the first week to be a learning session. In other words, I don't want you even coming close to hitting failure on ANYTHING. The second week can be a little harder, but still no failure! From that point forward, progression will be completely dependent on your performance. You must keep a journal/log!!! If you make all of your reps for an exercise, then add a SMALL amount of weight when you hit that exercise the next week. When I say small, I mean 1-2 lbs. for upper body exercises, and 3-5 lbs. for lower body exercises. For upper body, this means you will need to use some microloading techniques. Adjustable ankle weights are perfect for this, and both IP and I will be using them on our next workout program when this one is finished. Simply put .5-1.0 lbs in each ankle weight and put them on the bar just INSIDE the weights (on the same portion where your hands go, but out next to the weights). I am not letting you progress as fast as ScorpioGirl for a simple reason…you are cutting. It is extremely difficult for the body to progress with muscle on reduced calories. I am not saying it is impossible, just difficult. If you do this for 3 months (12 weeks), you will be adding 12-25 lbs. on your upper body exercises and 40-65 lbs. on your lower body exercises in the same rep ranges. That would be GREAT, so you can see the value of taking your time. Additional microloading techniques can be found here: http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/Topics/Microloading.htm

There may be a point that you reach where you are unable to add any more weight. PLEASE let me know when this happens! We will switch to Plan B for Progression. This is important. :velvett:

Let’s see…what else? Sleep will be really important, and your post workout shake will be, as well. Don’t neglect either one, ESPECIALLY when cutting!

Let me know what questions you have!!! :wavey:

Last edited:
Hey Mermaid! Just up this morning and getting in the shower, but I thought first I would ask you how your dinner went. Lucky "fired" coworker. We don't have company paid dinners for someone who obviously wasn't doing something they should have been!!!

Anyway! Just stopped in to see how it went and to say "g'night"! :nighty: :sleeping: :sleep2:

N, thanks for such an informative post. Even if it's meant for Mermaid, there is a TON of good info that we can all use.

Can you tell me more about the portions of maltodextrin/dextrose in a PWO shake? Does it REALLY make a difference? I just use ON whey mixed with water now.

ps - sorry for hijacking your log, Mermaid.

The recommended ratios are roughly 1/3 of each: maltodextrin, dextrose, and whey. If you are using ON Whey (my wife is, too), then just start mixing it with Gatorade after the workout instead of water. The hydrolyzed whey is more expensive and tastes bad, and therefore requires some powerful flavoring agents. :)

All that = more expensive than ON Whey + Gatorade. :D At any rate, mixing it with Gatorade would be better than water, and you would achieve a similar response.

Wow, Nelms :verygood: You're a star!!! Thank you so much for that, I tried it tonight so I'll tell all in a few...

RT, you can hijack my thread anytime, girl :heart:

SG, still cracks me up how I'm going to bed, while you're getting up.

The dinner last night was OK. It was quite a sad event really, he will be missed. I succumbed to a martini - just one though and diluted it afterward with about 2 liters of water. Didn't want to risk an RBT, being the night before a public holiday and I already have enough points on my license being the speed demon that I am :worried: Anyway, just had a few slices of flat bread with tzatziki and a veal steak with potatoes and broccolini. It was smothered in butter sauce, which I just hate so scraped most of it off. I was too slow to remember to ask for no sauce. Skipped dessert and coffee and went home. As a result, I will not be having a reward meal this weekend.

Thursday 26 January

Day off work - yay!!!

9.00am Gym
25 mins cardio - elliptical machine
2 min Intervals

10.00am
2 oatmeal protein pancakes
1 tbsp maple syrup
1/4 cup blueberries
1 tbsp almond butter

1.00pm
2/3 cup cottage cheese
1 kiwi fruit

Went to see Munich at the movies - long movie. No goodies, just water.

4.00pm
1 cup tuna
1 tbsp mayonnaise
3/4 cup all bran
1/2 cup FF milk

5.15pm Gym
OK, so this is where it gets interesting for me. I read all of Nelms post and incorporated most of it into the session including the timing between sets:

Superset
Squats 5x8 Bar only
LYING pikes 4x10

OMG. Tried the hanging pike :lmao: now that's a work in progress. I don't think I am quite strong enough for that yet so improvised. What I noticed with the superset is that I started literally dripping sweat after the second set, heart rate definitely elevated. It felt awesome!

Superset
Swiss ball sit ups 3x10
Step ups 2x12 no weight

Didn't rack up any weight as suggested and will increase next time but I really need to read up on that progressive loading thing as that is a new concept for me.

Steady state cardio - treadmill - 15 mins

It was a great workout, enough variety not to be boring and FAST! I like it.

6.15pm
PWO shake
I have the Synthetek whey which mixes so easily with anything and tastes of, well, nothing. So I bought some lemon lime gatorade and mixed one cup of liquid with 2 scoops of protein.
I realise that I don't like Gatorade much so will have to find an alternative. The weird thing is that I now don't feel hungry at all and will have to force myself to eat something before bed.

So I will have:

8.00pm
1 cup whites, 1 whole egg
2 tbsp feta cheese
1 tbsp almond butter
Supplements

(MM/SG, after reading your advice to someone about taking magnesium/zinc for sleeping, I take my supplements at night and sleep like a baby :) )

~1400 cals P:42 C:36 F:22 Fiber:23g

Thanks again Nelms :heart: I'll go ahead with this routine and give you regular updates.

mermaid said:
Anyway, just had a few slices of flat bread with tzatziki and a veal steak with potatoes and broccolini. It was smothered in butter sauce, which I just hate so scraped most of it off. I was too slow to remember to ask for no sauce. Skipped dessert and coffee and went home. As a result, I will not be having a reward meal this weekend.

(MM/SG, after reading your advice to someone about taking magnesium/zinc for sleeping, I take my supplements at night and sleep like a baby :) )

Hi Mermaid! Hope you had a wonderful day off! It doesn't sound like you did all that bad with the dinner. I don't think it warrants NO cheat this weekend, but maybe a smaller one. Just think about it........

Glad you're sleeping better! :heart:

So you like the new program Nelms has suggested for you!!!! GREAT! I hope this mixes things up enough for you to take you to the next level!!!!:rose:

Top Bottom