Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Mermaid 2006

mermaid said:
Wow, Nelms :verygood: You're a star!!! Thank you so much for that, I tried it tonight so I'll tell all in a few...

Awwww....thanks! :)

mermaid said:
5.15pm Gym
OK, so this is where it gets interesting for me. I read all of Nelms post and incorporated most of it into the session including the timing between sets:

Superset
Squats 5x8 Bar only
LYING pikes 4x10

OMG. Tried the hanging pike :lmao: now that's a work in progress. I don't think I am quite strong enough for that yet so improvised. What I noticed with the superset is that I started literally dripping sweat after the second set, heart rate definitely elevated. It felt awesome!

Are you talking about lying reverse crunches, where you extend your legs over the end of a bench and pike at the hips, lifting your pelvis at the top? If so, good substitute! You get plenty of grip work on the other days, so you won't miss out on that portion of the hanging pikes. :) LOL!

Another substitution is hanging knee-ups. Those are the first step before pikes. IP does pikes. Mr. IP does ugly pikes and lots of knee-ups. :D :lmao:

How hard were the squats with just the bar? Was it all SUPER easy, or just easy? Or was it difficult? I'm not talking about cardiovascularly...I'm asking about load.

mermaid said:
Superset
Swiss ball sit ups 3x10
Step ups 2x12 no weight

Didn't rack up any weight as suggested and will increase next time but I really need to read up on that progressive loading thing as that is a new concept for me.

Progressive loading is truly a foundational principle for muscular training, whether your goal is strength or hypertrophy. When you are cutting, it is more difficult to get prolonged progressive loading, but it should still be a very important focus, so that you can retain as much muscle as possible. If you do the same weight, time after time, workout after workout, why will the body respond by adding new muscle? It won't. Granted, there are a lot of other ways to look at progressive resistance, but this is the simplest and should be the initial focus for most people for a very, very long time. After that method has been exhausted, THEN it is time to pull out the more difficult tricks. I know that is still somewhat vague, but we'll start there. :)

mermaid said:
Steady state cardio - treadmill - 15 mins

It was a great workout, enough variety not to be boring and FAST! I like it.

I'm really glad you enjoyed it. :) Incidentally, depending on how your legs, knees, and ankles feel with the extra leg workout each week, you could add calves at any point to the two leg/ab days. If you do so, throw them in at the END of your workout, and do standing calves one of the days and seated calves the other. Give it a week or two before you try it out, though, please. Let your body get used to the new stimulus.

mermaid said:
6.15pm
PWO shake
I have the Synthetek whey which mixes so easily with anything and tastes of, well, nothing. So I bought some lemon lime gatorade and mixed one cup of liquid with 2 scoops of protein.
I realise that I don't like Gatorade much so will have to find an alternative. The weird thing is that I now don't feel hungry at all and will have to force myself to eat something before bed.

Remember there are lots of different types of "Gatorade" brands. Try several and find something you enjoy! :twirl:

mermaid said:
(MM/SG, after reading your advice to someone about taking magnesium/zinc for sleeping, I take my supplements at night and sleep like a baby :) )

~1400 cals P:42 C:36 F:22 Fiber:23g

Thanks again Nelms :heart: I'll go ahead with this routine and give you regular updates.

You are SO WELCOME. I'm excited to hear from you on this and see your results, and I'll keep helping as much as I can and my knowledge allows. If I don't know, I'll ask. :) Now, you just have to do your part with the diet, which is looking great. :)

OH, and ZMA is the BEST. IP and I use it every night, and it has become one of the very few supplements that we will always use. Great stuff!

nelmsjer said:
The recommended ratios are roughly 1/3 of each: maltodextrin, dextrose, and whey. If you are using ON Whey (my wife is, too), then just start mixing it with Gatorade after the workout instead of water. The hydrolyzed whey is more expensive and tastes bad, and therefore requires some powerful flavoring agents. :)

All that = more expensive than ON Whey + Gatorade. :D At any rate, mixing it with Gatorade would be better than water, and you would achieve a similar response.

Yes, I use ON whey. Do you mean Gatorade powder or actual liquid Gatorade drink? If so, how much Gatorade to one scoop of ON whey? Also, any recs on Gatorade flavors? I have ON Vanilla Ice-Cream and Rocky Road right now. This is something I can get on right away.

Friday 27 January

Nelms, with the squats, the bar only made for easy sets so I'll tweak it, up it a bit to be challenging but reasonable with the limited rest. OK?

TGIF!!!

Had a doctor appointment, so a later start to the morning.

7.15am
3/4 cup all bran
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup whites, 1 whole egg

8.30am Gym
Superset
Bench 5x8 Bar only
BB Rows 5x8 bar + 10lbs

Superset
DB Incline Press 3x12
DB Rows 3x12

I used the same DB as I was lifting last week for chest and with the limited rest time, I found it difficult. I'm just trying to find a happy medium and that will take a few sessions.

BUT, again, the heart rate was elevated enough to sweat! I really feel like I'm getting a good workout - I think this will work very well for me!

9.15am
2 scoop whey, 1 cup ready made Gatorade
It was more palatable today.

My doctor gave me a clean bill of health for the first time in just over a year and I can't tell you how happy I am about that.

:dance2: :jump: :elephant:

12.00pm
2/3 cup cottage cheese
1 tbsp almond butter
1 kiwi fruit

mermaid said:
OMG. Tried the hanging pike :lmao: now that's a work in progress. I don't think I am quite strong enough for that yet so improvised. What I noticed with the superset is that I started literally dripping sweat after the second set, heart rate definitely elevated. It felt awesome!

Mermaid, a good way to work up to a hanging pike is with BENT knee leg lifts (probably what you improvised with). Get yourself up in the numbers on the bent knees and then progress.

Edit: My bad, NJ already addressed that, a/k/a hanging knee ups ...

mermaid said:
My doctor gave me a clean bill of health for the first time in just over a year and I can't tell you how happy I am about that. :dance2: :jump: :elephant:

Yea!! That is awesome Mermaid - see you are making TONS of progress and accomplishments with this new lifestyle!! GOOD JOB :heart:

Roonytunes said:
Yes, I use ON whey. Do you mean Gatorade powder or actual liquid Gatorade drink? If so, how much Gatorade to one scoop of ON whey? Also, any recs on Gatorade flavors? I have ON Vanilla Ice-Cream and Rocky Road right now. This is something I can get on right away.

RT, you could technically use either powder or liquid. The goal is to get about 40-50 g carbs, since 1 scoop of ON has 24 g protein. That will give you the 2:1 ratio we're looking for.

I know as soon as I post this that some people are going to freak about 40-50 grams of carbs. Please don't! :) The evidence is just simply too conclusive, and science backs it up. There is literally not any other time of the day that the body can handle carbs better than right after a workout. Read that previous sentence as many times as you have to. :) LOL!

As far as recommendation for flavors go...that's a tough one. The grape and chocolate taste like a grape tootsie roll pop! You might get lucky with any of the flavors and vanilla, but I would suggest a strong orange flavor for vanilla.

mermaid said:
Friday 27 January

Nelms, with the squats, the bar only made for easy sets so I'll tweak it, up it a bit to be challenging but reasonable with the limited rest. OK?
That's good to hear! :) I was just curious where your strength levels were. And the limited rest definitely makes it more difficult. ;)

mermaid said:
TGIF!!!

Had a doctor appointment, so a later start to the morning.

7.15am
3/4 cup all bran
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup whites, 1 whole egg

8.30am Gym
Superset
Bench 5x8 Bar only
BB Rows 5x8 bar + 10lbs

Superset
DB Incline Press 3x12
DB Rows 3x12

I used the same DB as I was lifting last week for chest and with the limited rest time, I found it difficult. I'm just trying to find a happy medium and that will take a few sessions.

BUT, again, the heart rate was elevated enough to sweat! I really feel like I'm getting a good workout - I think this will work very well for me!

9.15am
2 scoop whey, 1 cup ready made Gatorade
It was more palatable today.

My doctor gave me a clean bill of health for the first time in just over a year and I can't tell you how happy I am about that.

:dance2: :jump: :elephant:

12.00pm
2/3 cup cottage cheese
1 tbsp almond butter
1 kiwi fruit

I am so glad to hear ALL of that!!! :twirl: :heart: :D Congratulations!!!

Originally Posted by Roonytunes

I am not a huge fan of orange so I might try the fruit punch Gatorade with the vanilla!! But, it is all based on personal taste! :qt:

Top Bottom