Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Menstrual abdominal cramps & leg spasms...

Puddles

It's that time of the month and I'm nearly bed-ridden. Nasty lower abdominal cramping that lightens up a little with muscle relaxants and anti-inflamatories, and I also get leg (moltly in my calf) spasms for 2 days before and about 2 days after onset of my period. Anyone know what stretches would help or if there are any supplements or foods to help this out? I wish I could just sleep through this every month!

Hey girl --

Here's some verbage from my fav herbal remedy book (Prescription for Nutritional Healing, 2nd ed):

"One of the causes of PMS is hormonal imbalance - excessive levels of estrogen and inadequate levels of progesterone. Hormonal fluctuations lead to fluid retention, which affects circulation, reducing the amount of oxygen reaching the uterus, ovaries, and brain. Eating red meat and dairy products may cause or contribute to such a hormonal imbalance. Unstable blood sugar levels are an important factor as well. PMS has also been linked to food allergies, changes in carbohydrate metabolism, hypoglycemia, and malabsorption. Diet is an important contributing factor. Other suspected causes of PMS symptoms incude erratic levels of beta-endorphin ( a narcotic-like substance produced by the body), vitamin and/or mineral deficiencies and clinical depression. When the workings of the brain's hormones are better understood, we may understand why this disorder can produce such a multitide of symptoms."

Some suggested nutrients to add to your arsenal:

"Very important":

AM/PM Ultimate Cleanse (Nature's Secret) - as directed - a cleansing program that enhances the liver's ability to metabolize estrogen.

Black currant seed oil (as directed 3x daily) OR Flaxseed oil (as directed, 3x daily) OR Primrose Oil (1000 mg , 3x daily) - to supply GLA (gamma lineolic acid), an essential fatty acid that is important in relieving symptoms and aiding proper glandular function.

Calcium (1500 mg daily) - Relieves cramping, backache and nervousness. Use calcium chelate form.

AND

Magnesium (1000 mg daily) - Deficiency has been associated w/ PMS. Use magnesium chloride or chelate form

ALSO NOTE:

Vitamin D (as directed) - for uptake of Calcium & Mag

Vitamin B complex (100 mg 3x daily) - B vitamins work best when taken together

AND

pantothenic acid (Vit B5) (100-200 mg daily) - reduces stress & is needed by the adrenal glands (and does wonders for acne!)

AND

pyroxidine (Vit B6) (50 mg 3x daily) - reduces water retention and increase oxygen flow to the female organs. Also aids in restoring estrogen levels to normal.

AND

Vit B12 (200 mcg 2x daily) - Reduces stress , prevents anemia and is needed for all bodily functions. Usa a lozenge or sublingual form.

Vit E - start w/ 400 IU daily and work up to 800 IU daily - good for sore breasts and other PMS symptoms, improves oxygen utilizationand limits free radical damage. Also helps relieve nervous tension, irritability and depression.

Hope that helps!

I'd be interested to hear if the Calcium/Mag helps w/ your calf cramps.

Thank you!

I'm printing this page out so I can pick up what I need. Thank you ladies!

I think much of my pain must have to do with the water retention. I drop about 4 lbs. by the 3rd day of my period which is when all the cramping is gone...I start retaining about a week before it starts. Also, this month I did wind up eating red meat alot (my husband's on a bulking diet now) and started eating yogurt...who would have thought that these could affect hormone levels?!

I know my hormones go completely wacko because of the mental pms symptoms I get. I feel like I'm a different person and I hate it! I'm normally a very sweet person, but watch out when I'm pms'ing. My family has been wonderful and I just let them know I'm pms'ing and it's nothing they're doing that sets me off. My GYN had suggested St. John's wart, and I tried it for a few months, but didn't feel much of a change so I stopped.

Again, thank you for the imput...I hope to have some relief next month!

My aunt used to have what you describe when she was young. So glad mine's not that severe. She always took a shot of hennessy brandy and 2 asprins... worked wonders for her.

Just a thought -- for anxiety, if that's what the St. John's Wort is for -- I've also used SAM-e, though its expensive. Another happy alternative I've been using is Inositol (Vit B8?) -- its cheep and I got it in powder form at the local nutrition store. Macro suggests it a number of times on those threads on the AS board about anxiety, anti-d's etc. Its done wonders for me. I'm using about 2-3 g /day. Mix it in w/ my Crystal Lite or protein shakes.

Thanks, but I have to stay away from anti-d type stuff for a while but I'll keep it in mind for the future...just started my Zyban (a form of Wellbutrin) a few days ago to quit smoking...Monday my daughter goes back to school and that is my quit day. Hubby will be off and home with me that day...don't know if that's a good thing or not! LOL I have a project to work on that day which involves 2x4's, sawing, etc. Yeah...I think he should be home with me that day!

Top Bottom