Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Lower Leg Pain While Running

No, I know it involves muscle because if it didn't, I wouldn't be having this problem. :)

Anyways, I had some pains when I first started, but they've since subsided. I've probably been training for two months, and I thought I was already over the pain-in-my-leg-muscles portion of this whole thing, because I haven't felt any pain for a while now until recently.

I read something about anterior shin splints, it seems as though that's where my pain is. Though since I've started, my calf muscles are way stronger than they used to be, so I'm probably doing something technically wrong thats putting lots of stress on my calves, which may be contributing to my problem, but I can't seem to/dont know how to fix that.

I jog pretty slowly, probably at a 13 minute mile pace...and usually I'm jogging off and on for about 3 miles - sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. All I've been training for is a 5k. I'm usually just jogging to work on my pacing and such, and when I want to do cardio I usually do it via things that cause my body less stress.

please don't take what I say as unsupportive...because I am genuinely supportive

a 13 minute mile is barely a shuffle and I'd put money on your stride is terrible at such a slow pace and Id be willing to bet like footdoc suggested you're having decently bad biomechanical issues..
.im SLOW and I do a 8/9 minute mile pace for anywhere from 2-5 miles depending on my mood and time.
2 months is VERY new to running...im going on ten years, my husband is going on almost 20 years of distance running..
look over the couch to 5k program again also look into shorter distance higher exertion running like intervals of sprints in there....you're still VERY green, don't hurt yourself...I mean that sincerely
running seems like it should be the most natural thing in the world but sometimes it isn't.

what brand of shoes are you using? brooks? asics? mizuno? something to that effect?

a quick fyi about shoes as well...they wear out fast, I have to buy new running sneakers every other month or so

so are you saying if i can't afford custom foot orthotics that there's nothing that can help me?

so are you saying if i can't afford custom foot orthotics that there's nothing that can help me?

No but it is the best option. Your second best option is a really good pair of shoes. I wear Nike air structure triaxx and I get them for about 60.00 online from Nike directly.

Its shin splints ( WHICH is typically a muscular imbalance front calves)

try using tread mill for a while till the whole area gets more trained. then graduate to pavement/trails

Always warm up and stretch 10 min into a jog

this is a pretty old post...but let me reitterate what i said about treadmills...they bounce back at you...theyre awesome in winter months where running utside is no good or no indoor track is available...but theyre really terrible for someone with fascia issues (rebound bounce)

things to avoid with shinplints are...uneven terrain...which is why I suggest a track
sand, hills up or down

I'm hoping she stuck with the running only because its one of the few things thats almost completely free and takes little "skill" to get started in

Well I don't think the terrain is the prob. The issue doesn't go away really no matter what I'm running on. The pain is the worst on treadmills I'd say, but it still hurts weather I'm running on grass or a track or pavement.

And if it were an imbalance with the muscle, wouldn't it be gone by now? It's been quite a while since ive started now. It never reallyvgets better.

well..shin splints is an imbalnce of muscles...and shin splints don't tend to go away unless you remedy the underlying problem and really don't run until then
for instance I had chronic plantar fasciitis for 4 years until the problem was corrected and now it only flares up when I forget to stretch or when my shoes get worn

its possible you have compartment syndrome (help me out with the correct name guys)
what beyond a change in terrain did you try to do differently?

I had a quick kitchen conversation with my husband about this...

we came up with a few suggestions if it is in fact shin splints

check the shoes (again)
learn how to correctly tape your shins for shin splints (google this)
ice them after every run (20 min on 20 min off)
lift a bucket with your foot ..handle over the bridge with something like a soup can in it...a gazillion times a day when you're home and doing nothing (we didnt come up with a set number of reps etc)
forget any type of distance running for now because we both agree it sounds like your gait is unaturally clipped for some reason ...drop it in favor of HIIT style running...this will correct a lot of gait issues and you won't back slide on times/endurance this way
and if you haven't already...have an ortho check it out to rule out any other probs

Hey there annie, you might try foam rolling that area that is giving you pain. Hell if it were me I would just do the entire leg as best you can with a foam roller. Maybe help, maybe not. But you dont know if you dont try.
Good luck!

Yup try foam rolling, soft tissue therapy is key in any sort of physical training, you need to reduce the trauma to the muscles and incorporate blood flow and break down the scar tissue. Look into a rumble roller, rumbleroller.com, very good roller

Top Bottom