Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

lifting in pregnancy

emmab

I have just found out I am pregnant (YAY!!!!!!!) and wondered if any of you ladies have lifted during pregnancy. If so, what are some guidelines. And how did you modify your diets etc.

------------------
God give me the strength to lift all I can, the humility to accept what I can't lift, the wisdom to know the difference, and the determination to close the gap!!!

Congrats! I don't see why you'd need to modify your diet any, other than upping your calcium intake. You're pretty small, as I recall, and so a 30 pound weight gain would probably be the max for you. You can certainly continue to eat clean and often.

Obviously you're not going to use a fat burner, and if you have prenatal vitamins, you should be all set without additional supplementation.

I would think (this is not from my personal experience, so I could be all wet) that the only danger with lifting would be to avoid very heavy lower body work (I'd think heavy squatting could be a problem) and not do weighted crunches etc.

During pregnancy your ligaments will loosen up, and so your form will have to be perfect to avoid any strains.

CONGRATS!!
There's a girl at my gym who was still lifting a week before she gave birth. She came back 3 weeks after the baby came. Two months after, she was wearing her little bra tops. I talked to my doctor about that and he told me that it's not recommended to START lifting when you're pregnant, but there's nothing about keep lifting when you are carrying a baby. The only thing that is gonna change is your center of gravity. (of course!!)
When I'll be pregnant I will keep lifting for sure, it's the best way to stay in shape after the baby!

GOOD LUCK!
LG

------------------
I don't believe in luck... Only work can bring us to reach the top!!

I stayed active during my 9 months carrying our little girl.I was lucky to be able to do that until my seventh month. Had some complications til then...

I took it VERY easy at the gym. Brianna is our first, and only child, so I was a bit OVER cautious.I did not do any major lifting but pretty much did a revised workout.

Does your gym have a program for expecting mom's? I'd check that out,some do offer those type of programs, mine did not but some do!

Eat healthy, eat small meals a lot during the day. Keep active! Keep in mind that anything over 25 lbs is HARDER TO TAKE OFF after you deliver.

I wish I could buy the pre-natal vitamins they gave you..THOSE BABIES ARE GREAT!

Good luck and enjoy every moment ! Before you know it, the baby will be four years old, like mine, and you'll wonder where the time went.

Pregnant women are the ultimate bodybuilders when you consider they only have 9 months to build a whole new body! So you should definitely continue eating like a bodybuilder. Just make sure you're getting plenty of essential fats in your meals. And no reason to stop the weight training. The weight training will help you in many respects both during your pregnancy and afterwards. Oh, and congrats!

Please be very cautious and talk to your doctor about whether or not to lift during your pregnancy.

I had already had one healthy child, when I got pregnant a second time. I was working as a dog groomer at the time, and I lifted a pretty big Irish Setter into the bathtub to bathe it; when I did, I started bleeding heavily. It stopped pretty soon, but two or three weeks later, I miscarried.

I had zero exercise in my life at the time that happened, and who knows, maybe it was unrelated to picking the big dog up, but I've always thought that was the cause.

For people who lift weights regularly, there might be no danger at all. I know there are plenty of examples people can point to where "they knew someone who..." (jogged until the day they delivered, lifted weights, etc.) But please talk to your doctor, and consider what he/she says when you decide what you want to do. Don't take someone's word for it that you don't know, who is posting anonymously on a discussion board. Take the person's word for it who might be sued in a medical malpractice suit if they give you the wrong advice. Just remember that the weights will still be there for you after you have the baby.

Take care,
Fennec

thanks for the replies, and I will check with both my doctor and the gym staff (the owner is a doctor too). You are right Fennec that the weights will be there in 9 months time. I think I will feel safer doing arm/chest work than legs/abs, which is good, cos my upper body is lagging..who knows, by the time the little one arrives I might be needing to get my legs to catch up!!!

------------------
God give me the strength to lift all I can, the humility to accept what I can't lift, the wisdom to know the difference, and the determination to close the gap!!!

CONGRATS! This is such an exciting time for you, enjoy every incredible second. I have a 7 month old, and I continued on my regular training until the begining of the second trimester. You should avoid anything that is lying flat on your back, as well as leg press after your 1st trimester.I gained 50! and lost it all plus 15, and I swear it was because I: 1. Continued to exercise 3-4 times a week throughout 2. Was in great shape prior and 3. Had an 11.2 pound child via c-section!
As far as diet, try to eat as close to your normal diet (non competition obviously) add the calcium, and eat as many green vegetables and OJ as you can. The first trimester is very important in the develpoment of your little one, although he/she is so tiny. I trained up until the day I had my c-section, I squatted 135 for 2 sets of 8, and had to have a scheduled c-section. Of course, I was doing close to double that prior to getting pregnant ;). If you are tired, rest. If you don't want to lift, walk and stretch. If you don't want to do anything, try to find a pre-natal swimming class, yoga, etc. The support is amazing that you'll receive from the other women. I loved being pregnant, it is such an AWESOME thing. Creating another life is a huge responsibility! Take care of yourself, and remember that some days are harder than others. Listen to your body, DO NOT be afraid to ask questions about anything and most importantly, enjoy yourself. Good Luck and be well!
Oh, by the way, the reason I squatted so much is because my OB said one of his patients squatted heavy and went into labor that afternoon. I do not recc this unless you are overdue, strong, and have a spot. :)

Good! It sounds like you are in good hands. :) (I'm such a worry wart...)

And by the way, I forgot to say CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :) :) :)

Fennec

[This message has been edited by Fennec (edited April 26, 2001).]

bump again

i spoke to the gym staff today and they said anything but less intensity, and no lying down after 5 months. Also, no above the head lifting or jerk moves ie clean and press. Agree???

Top Bottom