Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Leg Extensions

paradiso

Fanatic
Platinum
In the last few weeks while doing leg extensions, my knees started to hurt while extending them. In addition, they started to “crunch” while bringing them down.
I decreased the weight SUBSTANTIALLY but it didn’t help much plus I felt like I am not even working my quads anymore.
Now, I got back into it but my weight still is well below of what I used to do…also, I don’t want to ‘injure’ them, like before.

Any ideas why that happened? Also, is there any alternatives or replacements? Maybe I am doing something wrong…..

Thanks for any help!

Paradiso

The 'crunch' sound is never good in lifting. Maybe try working your quads with a different workout than leg extensions.

Buffy Beffy said:
The 'crunch' sound is never good in lifting. Maybe try working your quads with a different workout than leg extensions.

I agree! I think those extensions will have to go (at least for now). Stick to the good old squats.

if you are new to weight-lifting, this exercise should be preformed at a realitively low weight as the knees are hyperextended during this movement.....if the rollers are moving up and down your shins , the machine is not set for your build....this along with real heavy weight, will cause alot of pain in the knees...make sure the machine is adjusted properly....rollers should not move at all....when doing the lower weights on this lift- do a 4 count on the way down to maximise the lift .....and hold at the top during concentric portion, for a brief moment (1-1000)......crunching sound is bad......

Actually, the position of the pads is right on, there is no sliding. When the pain started that is what I thought...that the machine is not adjusted properly...but everything seems ok.

I think I will have to replace that exercise for a while. But from what I read, even with a smaller weight results can be noticed. As long as proper form is maintain (which I always watch).

paradise-puddles is correct...dosage for glucosamine is 1650mg. per day....allow about 14days to get into system....they make a tablet with gluc/chondroiton/msm in it @ 1000mgs per tab....4 of these per day will do you good.....

i do light leg exts for warm-up sets-- then go heavy on hack squats. the knee crunching problem is pretty common doing full ROM on extensions-- but if your having pain-- def stop doing them.

I'd skip leg extensions altogether - the knee is in a very vulnerable position with them, without the hamstring to protect it. Do squats, bb hack squats, front squats (great for more quad-oriented work) and leg press if necessary.

Thanks for all the input!

My usually upper-leg routine looks like…
Squats, leg press, leg extensions, leg curls and Romanian deadlifts at times.

Any suggestions? Should I be doing anything more or less?

I do like the idea of doing the leg extensions with low weight as a warm-up before squats.

Top Bottom