Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

lady lifters over 40

Janbo

How many of you out there are in your 40's or older. How do you feel. What are your goals. How have you changed your routine. I am 47 and wondering about the rest of you out there. I do not have any women friends my age that hit the gym to lift weights. Seems its all yoga and cardio. Looking for some new ideas.
Have a great week!
Janbo

Janbo..I'll be 40 this year. This is the first year that I have noticed myself "feeling old" or maybe "older". It's subtle physical changes but they're there. I've spent a couple of years really learning my body, experimenting with different diets, different foods and a variety of training programs. I'm coming back off of injury so my training is really just the basic 10 reps stuff but I have seen the best results using a reverse pyramid rep scheme and lifting heavier (so maxing out at 4 reps). I'll eventually get back to that most likely.

Something else I've realized is that as I get older, I tend to think more critically and I don't follow all the stereotypical bodybuilding rules that I was taught initially. I've learned a lot and read a lot and really think keeping an open mind to new techniques and new methods is so important. I'm all about training smarter, not harder and probably the biggest change I've had to make is in my humility. LOL I am a super competitive person and really, I only need to be competing with myself and post injury, just training to be healthy. It's been a huge mental shift for me. Age? Wisdom? Learning things the hard way? I'm not sure but it's taken me almost 40 years to figure it out. I'll probably always have that competitive streak but have found a little balance perhaps. :)

I just have to add, though, that some of the women I look up to the most are women in their 40's and 50's who are lifting and competing.

Cali
I started endurance type racing in my 30's. My first triathlon, Olympic distance and I got my ass kicked by a 73 year old nun. That became my inspiration. By the age of 41 I was in the best shape of my life. Loved competing at the age grouper level but work and life has a way of over taking. Stress has wreaked havoc with me and I am struggling to get back on track. I want to be the 73 year old that inspires a 30 something to get her body back in shape. So I am out seeking advice, tips, motivation and new inspirations.

How many of you out there are in your 40's or older. How do you feel. What are your goals. How have you changed your routine. I am 47 and wondering about the rest of you out there. I do not have any women friends my age that hit the gym to lift weights. Seems its all yoga and cardio. Looking for some new ideas.
Have a great week!
Janbo

I will be 40 in may!!!! Eek! :) My lifting is the same-- I still train heavy and hard. As a result, I do have some elbow injuries, but they're not enough to stop me. I wrap em up and get to it! :)

The only real difference in my working out ethic is that I'm smarter. My diet used to suck. I was all about moving weight and ate whatever I wanted. Through this board and other research, I've realized that wasn't so productive. I used to lift so I could eat. Now, I eat so I can lift. B/c of that shift in diet, I actually like my body now. Most days, anyway. :)

Hey janbo gr8 to have you here on EF. All the ladies in here are gr8 suppport in every way.
Would be very interesting for you and helpful to you to get a log going. Believe me that in itself is huge inspiration.
Always feel free to ask any questions you wanna and I sincerly hope to see you posting often.
Best regards and good luck to you.
Zed

I will be 40 in may!!!! Eek! :) My lifting is the same-- I still train heavy and hard. As a result, I do have some elbow injuries, but they're not enough to stop me. I wrap em up and get to it! :)

The only real difference in my working out ethic is that I'm smarter. My diet used to suck. I was all about moving weight and ate whatever I wanted. Through this board and other research, I've realized that wasn't so productive. I used to lift so I could eat. Now, I eat so I can lift. B/c of that shift in diet, I actually like my body now. Most days, anyway. :)

Love it!! Smarter not harder!! :)

I'm 43 and still lifting hard. I have toned back my weight in certain lifts. (For example I was doing 205 for 3-5 reps just 3 years ago but now I do 15-20 reps of 135--knees) I also need to make sure I have rest days. I used to lift six days a week with little issues, now I need at least 2 days rest during a week. I still love lifting though, and my body isn't to worn down yet.

Rebecca D

for 2 years i trained women over 40 oldest 57

the same goals most of them

"toned" in the end i trained them with similar goals, not all, but basic..

57yrs old 5'4" 125
leg press 525 lbs 8 reps
bench (machines) 150 8 reps
5 un assisted pull ups..

I have a 54 year old than can do leg press 300 lbs 100 reps with no lactic acid response the next day

point being it is possible, depends if they are pre or post menopausal (less testosterone post)

3-5 strength
8-12 stamina
15-24 endurance

depends on if you want to develop mitochondria or myofibril

best is to change it every 6 weeks... but women do better than most men can on the endurance, i can do 300 for 300 reps in the leg press, what does that do for me?? at 50yrs old.. keeps me lean and strong, cardio is great as well..

40 is not old as you know protecting the joints become the primary objective..

Hope that helps

for 2 years i trained women over 40 oldest 57

the same goals most of them

"toned" in the end i trained them with similar goals, not all, but basic..

57yrs old 5'4" 125
leg press 525 lbs 8 reps
bench (machines) 150 8 reps
5 un assisted pull ups..

I have a 54 year old than can do leg press 300 lbs 100 reps with no lactic acid response the next day

point being it is possible, depends if they are pre or post menopausal (less testosterone post)

3-5 strength
8-12 stamina
15-24 endurance

depends on if you want to develop mitochondria or myofibril

best is to change it every 6 weeks... but women do better than most men can on the endurance, i can do 300 for 300 reps in the leg press, what does that do for me?? at 50yrs old.. keeps me lean and strong, cardio is great as well..

40 is not old as you know protecting the joints become the primary objective..

Hope that helps

Yup! and don't forget your jello :)

Cali
I started endurance type racing in my 30's. My first triathlon, Olympic distance and I got my ass kicked by a 73 year old nun. That became my inspiration. By the age of 41 I was in the best shape of my life. Loved competing at the age grouper level but work and life has a way of over taking. Stress has wreaked havoc with me and I am struggling to get back on track. I want to be the 73 year old that inspires a 30 something to get her body back in shape. So I am out seeking advice, tips, motivation and new inspirations.

I have to tell you...I loved this story! What an inspiration..the 73 year old nun. Makes you realize we can always strive to improve and we just keep getting better!! :)

Top Bottom