Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Knee injury

fit1

Hey gals!!! A few months ago, I hurt my knee and so I went to the doctor and he told me he thought it was just a little "tendonitis" or my kneecap. He told me to keep wearing my brace when I do any kind of exercise and to take advil whenever I think I need to. He also told me that he wanted me to go to a few physical therapy sessions to learn some exercises to strengthen the muscle around the knee. Well, he told me when I'm working my legs to NOT do squats, lunges or leg extensions. He said those were BAD for my knees...now what??? I love squats and lunges. Are they really that bad for your knees? I can pretty much do squats w/o it really hurting or anything. Lunges is different...it's a little uncomfortable sometimes. What do you guys think? Is he full of it?

I have bursitis on my right knee. That is where the bursa sack swells up. It complety covers the knee. It kill me! My chiropractor who is also a bodybuilder and powerlifter, massive man, told me to make sure I don't baby it. He said to keep squatting 315 and to do what I normally always do. He said the reason I have it, is because my outer quad is so much more developed than my inner quad, and he gave me some specific exercies to build it up and get it up to par. But he said whatever I do, Don't baby it, it won't get any better if I do. Where I spin there are medical doctors there, they took a look at it and told me to stay off of it for 8 weeks. I took the advice of my chiro since he is ALWAYS right and hasnt steared me wrong yet, and since I did, the problem has been going away, and my routines are staying the same and everytihing is fine and dandy, glad I didn't listen to that dang m.d. Anywho, I am not saying you don't have a problem or whatever, BUT I would get at least a second opionion and maybe go to a different kind of doctor to get advice, my chiro saved me from 8 VERY BORING weeks :) Of course though, take care of that knee first, don't just blindly listen to me :) but get a few different opionions because it's probably something totally different than what I have :)

Depends on what is wrong. Extensions are a no-no for some with knee problems. Lunges, I hate lunges as they really bother my knees and I see little purpose in them personally unless they are used to develop balance. The two competitive women I trained never did lunges and had very well developed and detailed legs. Its more about diet than lunges.

Squats, if done properly using a wider stance, hips back so the knees don't come forward (powerlifting style), then you should be fine. If you do the feet close together stuff, forget it. If it hurts, don't do it and don't go heavy all the time. Once every two weeks.

W6

oh, and leg extensions with knee wraps, 2 sets before squats, 2 sets after squats, with toes pointed out was one of the suggestions :) I would seriously take a look at your doctor physically and see what he looks like, if he has the dunlop disease (his belly has done lopped over his belt) I would be careful taking "workout" advice from him ;)

Thx Brickgirl and Wilson...
BG -- you're too funny...
Where does your knee hurt you? That kinda' sounded like what he told me...that my outer quads were more developed than my inner quads. I'm just tryin' to figure out if this is the same as yours. Mine hurts right under the kneecap. It really doesn't hurt when I'm just walking and what not, but it does when I go up/downstairs...especially down. And I can't really run w/o it being uncomfortable. Also, when I'm like sitting in a chair, I can't straighten my leg all the way by myself by just raising it up. It gets to a point and just hurts like a s-o-b!!! Does this sound familiar???

Mine swells up just right on top of the knee and the pain is on top of the knee. The pain will sometimes radiate around it. Do a search for Housemaids knee that is what he called it. You will probably find all kinds of information about it. :)

i'll do a search then and see what i can find out. :D
i guess it does kinda' hurt on top of the kneecap also. but, it never has done much swelling...not enough to really tell anyways. can you run with it okay?

I had the same problem when I broke my knee flying a kite.

Fortunately, I was under the supervision of a physical therapist and an exercise physiologist. I was advised not to do squats until I've regained my leg strength. As part of my therapy, I did several sets of leg extensions and some leg curls to balance it all out. As you might know, tendons attach bone to muscle. Strengthening the muscles attached to the bone (patella) tightens (pulls) or realigns that kneecap. Anything "-itis" means inflamation of anything. Tendonitis, would then be an inflation of the tendons, in your case at the knee. I can see why your doctor prescribed Advil, as it is an antiinflamatory, but I question his reasoning for the leg extension. However, please keep in mind that I'm not a physician. I'm only basing my confusion from my own experience. If you have similar questions, ask another doctor. Better yet, an exercise physiologist.

I also wore a brace for some time and thought that it will help my recovery, but then it just made me dependent on it. When I finally got the courage to work out without it, I took it off and exercise to a certain degree without it. It took a long time, but with persistance and rest (if that makes sense) I managed to walk without it.

Top Bottom