Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Kinesology for overhead presses

In my opinion, the upper arm shouldn't exceed neutral at the bottom position (i.e., parallel with the floor) and the angle at the elbow should be 90 degrees at that point, otherwise the grip is too wide or too narrow. Always front presses, never behind the neck.

W6

I agree with the thought NOT to prefatigue a muscle you are trying to make grow - it seems like you should put OHP first to maximize your energy level in the beginning of a workout. That way, you can lift the most, and really burn out the delts.

Also, you do them standing, which is great for overall body strength - but why not also try them seated (back supported) so you can lift more weight? That way you can really concentrate on making the delts grow.

Also, I found that my delts started to shape up nice when I added Upright Rows (like Machine said). Done with a curl bar, they are my favorite shoulder exercise - feels great when I do them heavy! :)

So in the OHP the weak muscle link are the medial delts? I have always been told it was the triceps.

Wilson, your response about upper arm not dropping below parallel to the floor is something I remember reading somewhere but has been consistantly contradicted by people around me. Your advice seems intuitively correct to me, but can you explain why not to drop below parallel.?

anya said:
So in the OHP the weak muscle link are the medial delts? I have always been told it was the triceps.

Wilson, your response about upper arm not dropping below parallel to the floor is something I remember reading somewhere but has been consistantly contradicted by people around me. Your advice seems intuitively correct to me, but can you explain why not to drop below parallel.?

it could be delts or triceps, it depends on the individual and how much pressing/tricep work they have done. i see people who can hold a weight overhead in a position but the dbell literally crashes in on their head. maybe thats a coordination issue, but if you ask them, they say their arms just gave out.

Top Bottom