Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Is this just a big MYTH??

FitFossil said:
For good suggestions on lifting, read the "sticky" post called "Proper Steroid-free Training" by Realgains at the top of the Women's board.

Even though you're trying to lose fat, it's very important that your body get sufficient calories and nutrients. Otherwise much of your training time and effort will be wasted, because your body won't be performing at optimum levels.

I have read that thread. I have a problem with the lower body training. Squats and presses. I have big thighs it is genetic the get very muscular quick nice but they get bigger. I am not talking a little either I mean a lot. A friend who is into lifting I had told him about this and he told me to drop the squats and presses. As well it says this is to gain strength (that is fine) size (no way hose I am trying to get smaller).

The thing is, your thigh measurements may seem "big" possibly due to your BF%. Just a thought.

If what you're looking for is strength gains, then lower your leg volume work. In other words, decrease the amount of reps per set. If you're doin' 8-10, then work in the 5-7 rep range.

Even though, I believe you should continue with the 8-10 rep range, get your diet in order and see what happens when you begin performing squats.

Bulky = fat = Need a better diet

I always thought I had huge legs too. They are smaller than ever now at a leaner 26". They were hard before, but a lot of muscle with even a LITTLE fat, looks to the eye like a WHOLE LOT of fat.

In my case, the best way to accomodate large legs was to grow some shoulders. Symmetry is symmetry, irrespective of size.

I'm so glad you replied slinky, I was thinking the same thing that the fat on her legs is what is making them big not the muscle.

But I knew I'd be not as nice as in my reply as you were!

The squats and deadlifts will give your legs and butt the shape you want. I'm sure others will chime in with the same advice.

I agree with the ladies above. I too have genetically muscular legs. I always kept away from squats and heavy weights because they made my legs "big". But finally I realized that my legs were actually only big when my body fat was higher. So it was the FAT, not the weights that made my legs bulky.

Squats make my legs dense, solid and shapely. And by building muscle, I am raising my metabolism, which burns more fat, which helps me reach my goals faster...... :D

IMO, you don't necessarily have to do major heavy squats. I go very close to failure (no training partner, so I don't go to true fall-on-the-floor-failure) in about 8-15 reps (depending on the set and the day). Squats and lunges - I love 'em!

Thanks ladies....
Ok going to change a few things up I guess keep you post on my progress. What is a realistic time line to lose 20-30 lbs?

I'm not sure that 20-30 lbs = 5% bf. According to my calculations, if you're 165 and 20% bf, you have 33lbs fat. If you lose 30 lbs (and assuming the completely unrealistic notion that it's all FAT you lose) you are gonna be one SKINNY woman (and probably dead too, since no woman - or anyone - can have that low bodyfat and survive). Where did you get those numbers? If you want to lose 5% bf, you're looking at about 8-10 lbs.

I don't want to be a party pooper or anything, but YES, the booze and the loss of sleep on the weekends WILL affect your progress (unless you're Chris Cormier, but then again, he still hasn't won the Olympia and all the partying is probably why).

What do you do at an after hours club, btw? (heh heh,just interested ...)

I wish I had the same excuse for my large waist - fat over big muscles ... but I sincerely doubt this is the case :(

SteelWeaver said:
I'm not sure that 20-30 lbs = 5% bf. According to my calculations, if you're 165 and 20% bf, you have 33lbs fat. If you lose 30 lbs (and assuming the completely unrealistic notion that it's all FAT you lose) you are gonna be one SKINNY woman (and probably dead too, since no woman - or anyone - can have that low bodyfat and survive). Where did you get those numbers? If you want to lose 5% bf, you're looking at about 8-10 lbs.

I love this answer. It has taken me years to learn that with my Height and build my "ideal" wt of 125lbs was not realistic or maintainable. My 125lb sister was floored the other day when my 147lb butt fit nicely in her size 6 jeans and they looked way better on me if I do say so myself:D

I love this answer. It has taken me years to learn that with my Height and build my "ideal" wt of 125lbs was not realistic or maintainable. My 125lb sister was floored the other day when my 147lb butt fit nicely in her size 6 jeans and they looked way better on me if I do say so myself:D [/B][/QUOTE]

:D :D :D awesome

dayna4u2nv said:
Thanks ladies....
Ok going to change a few things up I guess keep you post on my progress. What is a realistic time line to lose 20-30 lbs?

Realistic timeline for you ? Well, I know what I can do if I needed to drop 20-30lbs; and I'm sure spatts knows what she could do, as well as Steel, and any of the other fine ladies that have posted here.

It's quite individual. You can take into account the "don't lose more than 1.5 to 2 pounds a week"; but here's what I think you should do: get your BF% measured, log all of your stats in a diet/training journal. Begin your new regimen, after 6-weeks, measure your BF% again. If you've lost BF and gained LBM, then you're on the right track. If not, look back over your journal, make adjustments to either diet or training and continue on for another 6-weeks.

Yeah, seems like a looooooong time, but in the end here's what you'll gain from this experience: you'll become more intuned with your bod. You'll know what it takes to either lose BF or gain LBM. You'll learn about diet/nutrition for your bod. How training affects it. WOW. This is some pretty valuable info and the neat-o thing is, this is only the beginning! And stuff that you wouldn't learn if you set yourself on a timeline to lose weight.

Ya got all the time in the world; especially when considering that this is for a lifetime. 'K? And you have this board whenever you need encouragement and answers. Lucky you!

(this was my kick in the ass speech. Hopefully it was okay:) )

Top Bottom