Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

ironwings journal *

ironwings

Elite Mentor
Platinum
Hey ladies, time for me to journal up. I’m pretty new to EF and have enjoyed learning from the Women’s Fitness Forum – I guess it’s my turn to share. I’ll start here and continue to add my workouts as I change them (and any other “ah ha” moments I have!). Competing isn’t right for me currently but could be in the future. I tend to take things to the obsessive state and can’t “afford” to do that right now. Perhaps when I’m more settled (40’s sound great!). I have danced my entire life and lifting was against the grain. Although it seems to me chest presses would be right up our ally. I remember having to wrap my breasts for performances! I certainly wouldn’t have to do that now!

The closest thing I got to a lift was a RepReebok class I taught at night back in 2002. I trained clients on the side and I knew what lifting was all about but never really got into it consistently myself. I thought I looked just fine and felt even better. I was more about teaching people to live healthy lifestyles that worked for them. I wasn’t concerned about how much they could lift. Now as a wellness coach and business owner I see the benefits of consistently working on strength and the changes it makes to your body. I became sadistic about lifting about this time last year and completely changed my body composition. I’m the same size but have more lean muscle mass and less body fat. I went hard and heavy – got my squats up to 220lbs and deadlifts to 135lbs. A huge improvement to my little 45lb bar I used to work with. I gained 18 pounds in 4 months +/-.

Now that I think back about it lifting became my dance. I moved back to my little ole hometown and their isn’t a huge arts community so I haven’t been dancing at all. That is when it started. In the past 3 years I have had more than my share of huge life events (most compounded in the past year). Moved to a impoverished country to adopt a little boy, my husband had an affair, divorced, moved again, changed careers, started a new relationship, mom went into a nursing home with Alzheimer’s, had surgery to remove cancerous cells from my cervix (with no insurance), and started a business. Lifting was my sanctuary and continues to be.

Now that I’ve written a book I’ll share my stats in the next post. I simply hope by sharing my past it will help someone’s future.

This is awesome girl. Thank you for posting up and sharing with all of us. Nothing but respect for you and onebreath both. Looking forward to reading more of your post in this thread.

Stats -
5’3”, 134lbs, 19%bf

*highest adult weight 162lbs (9 year ago), lowest 118lbs (college and again two 1/2 years ago)

I cycle VAR off and on throughout the year (started in November 07) – I’ve had three cycles so far. One cycle was coupled with winny but cut short due to sides. Numero tres being most successful. Just finished up a 6 week cycle of 10mg a day.

Daily Supps -
Multi-Vitamin
Fish Oil Capsules
LipoFlame before workouts

Nutrition rules I play by -
40/40/20 macros +/-
Low sugar and sodium
Carb cycle based on workouts and energy needs

I’m still getting this nutrition thing down. I’ve never had to worry about it before but I realize what a difference it makes in my physique. I used to be a carb junky ;-) and my body loved it - thus the 162lbs! I have been more aware in the past 6 months how foods affect my body.

I get bored easily so I have basic rules that I follow and play with my nutrition choices. It is always a journey and I love exploring this – nutrition as a key component to training is newly learned for me!

Goals –
I don’t have anything specific here. Until the next cycle I want to keep my weight under 134lbs. Continue to build lean muscle mass while reducing body fat. I wouldn’t want to be any lower than 15%bf. I imagine I'll stay around 19% for a bit as I just took a drop recently.

Workout to come...

Program -
This is my last week of doing the following high volume series:

Double Up – Split frequent training routine alternating between moderate weight/higher reps and heavy/low reps. 1st day of split 3x10-12, 2nd day of split 3 or 4x12-15. I stretch the muscle after each exercise, warmup with complexes using 45lb bar, do boxing drills or a tabata of some sort at the end.

Shoulders/Back – 2x week (sometimes back once - I develop nicely here)
Overhead bb power press
Plyo Smith Front Presses
Bent over lat raise
Pullup negatives, narrow grip (4)
Bent over bb row
Seated cable row
Smith bent over row

Quads/Hams/Abs – 2x week
Smith Squats with toes at angle
Frog Kicks
BB Step Ups to flat bench
Smith Glute Presses
1 DB Sumo Squats from 2 flat benches
**just played with Smith 1Leg Presses and loved them – my hams are popping today. In a couple days I will play with Smith Glute Bridges.
I mix abs up – I like using paper plates to do various plank movements, medicine ball on decline, hanging knee circles etc.. I love to play with these!

Bicep/Tricep/Chest - 2x week
BB Curl
Incline DB Curl
Dips using two benches and 25lb plate
Overhead Tricep Ext (using different equipment when I get the urge)
Skull Crushers
Rotate incline and decline bench press
Flat DB bench press
Plyo Smith flat bench press
Incline DB Flyes

**This specific routine has given me more definition in my shoulders (visible striations and vascularity while lifting) and hams - nice and hard now. No measured growth. I like pulling that off!

I'm sad to see it go :-( Due to the high volume I am going to do my best to take 2 weeks off by only doing complexes and cardio/tabatas/drills.

Hey girl, welcome to Elite!

It sounds like you've been through some very stressful times, but congratulations on making it out the other side. We have a couple other dancers on this site, Stefka and Nefertiti. Hopefully they'll pop in in the future.:)

Nonetheless, SUBSCRIBED!

YAY! Another journaler!
I must say- mine is getting pretty repetative!
I'll be keeping a close eye on yours- soaking in any peices of knowledge you leave along the way :)

Glad you're doing well now!!!

Subscribed..

I was talking to someone today about my shoulder routine and realized I left out a key component of my training in my log!!

Immediately after the standing bb power presses (70lbs) I grab a 20lb bar and do the following complex 4 times to failure:

Front Raise, Upright Row, Press

Then the plyo smith presses provide a bit of relief while still working them and my endurance. Burn baby burn :)

I think I'm just reminiscing about what I'm about to leave behind. cry

Top Bottom