Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

IcePrincess Journal

iceprincess

Hi, everyone! I am new to EF but have been following some posts for about a month or so. This will be the first post for my log journal, and I'm not really sure how to start this off because I have quite a few things to share, some background to give, etc. But, with all that aside, I am very excited to get started and get some feedback.

My goal is to gain 5-10lbs of lean muscle mass on my upper body. I know that nutrition is a HUGE part of the gaining process, but I am currently in Iraq right now. So…I have had to be VERY creative in how I pick and choose my meal options! One of the hardest parts, as well, is that I used to be a competitive figure skater and am used to being very lean – this whole gaining “weight” to gain muscle is killing me! :worried: Though, I know it is the only way to get the lean muscle that I am looking for. I would love to be able to try a few competitions when I get back to the States, but first things first…more muscle. After I gain the lean muscle I will probably be asking for suggestions on the best way to cut. ;) LOL!

I have been following the Dual Factor 5x5 program as far as workouts go. I don’t have a lot of time to spend in the gym, so I am hoping that this will accomplish lots of gains/work in a short amount of gym time. Ideally I would love to have more time, but I am doing the best that I can. Before you think I’m making excuses, please realize that I literally work 12 hours per day. So, my schedule is: get up at 6 am, get ready, and get breakfast by 7am, when I start work. Around 1pm, my husband and I go work out for 45 minutes. We then have 15 minutes to change clothes, drive to the cafeteria, get to go plates, and drive back to work. Then, I work until 8pm. At 8pm, we go to the cafeteria, eat, and get back to where we live around 8:30-9:00. An hour later we’re asleep. I’m just giving you the big picture of working 7 days per week in a war zone and letting you know that 45 minutes per day is ALL I have for exercise, without compromising food and sleep! :)

Ok, first…My Stats:

Height: 5'2"
Weight: 119 lbs
Body Fat: Hard to get in the middle of a desert.
Measurements: Looking for someone with a flexi-tape

Next, my workout numbers:

WEEK #1
Monday (Nov. 7th)
Squat: 5X5 (90 lbs)
Bench: 5X5 (45, 50, 55, 65, 70 lbs)
Bent Row: 5X5 (45, 50, 55, 65, 70 lbs)

Wednesday (Nov. 9th)
Squats: 5X5 (75 lbs)
Deadlift: 5X5 (100 lbs)
Military: 5X5 (50 lbs)
Pullups: 5X5 (husband-assisted…I can do all 5 of the first set, though!!!)

Friday (Nov. 12)
Squat: 5X5 (65, 75, 85, 90, 100 lbs)
Bench: 5X5 (65 lbs)
Bent Row: 5X5 (65 lbs)

WEEK #2
Monday (Nov. 14)
Squat: 5X5 (95 lbs)
Bench: 5X5 (50, 55, 60, 65, 75 lbs)
Bent Row: 5X5 (50, 55, 60, 65, 75 lbs)

Wednesday (Nov. 16)
Squat: 5X5 (80 lbs)
Deadlift: 5X5 (110 lbs)
Military: 5X5 (55 lbs)
Pullups: 5X5 (husband-assisted)

Friday (Nov. 18)
Squat: 5X5 (70, 80, 90, 100, 110 lbs)
Bench: 5X5 (65 lbs)
Bent Row: 5X5 (65 lbs)

Quick note: on Tuesdays and Saturdays my husband and I do abs, hyperextensions, and “active recovery” techniques like hurdle drills for hip flexibility, agility work, a couple of 2 minute bodyweight circuits, some depth jumps about once per week, and stretch. Thursdays and Sundays are off.

Nutrition: (General Overview)
7:30 AM
4 Egg Whites
1 Whole Egg
½ cup Pinapples
½ cup Grapes
1 cup apple juice

10:30 or 11:00AM
Whey Protein Shake (one scoop) with 6oz of skim milk

12:45 or 1:00PM
Workout

2:00PM
Whey Protein Shake (one scoop) with 6oz of skim milk

3:00 or 3:30 PM
1 Grilled Chicken Breast or 1 cup of tuna
1 cup of Raw Broccoli
½ cup Onions
½ cup Noodles
¼ cup Cucumbers

5:00 or 5:30 PM
Whey Protein Shake or 1 Grilled Chicken Breast

8:00 or 8:15PM
1-2 Grilled Chicken Breast or 1 cup of tuna
1 slice of provolone or Swiss cheese
1/8 cup mushrooms
½ cup broccoli
½ cup onions

General Nutrition Totals: 1594 Calories
Protein: 206g (53%)
Carbs: 122g (29%)
Fat: 29g (17%)

I also have fish oil and flax seed which I NEED to start incorporating into my evening snack. I drink a little over a gallon of water every day, and have probably a quart of green tea. Other then that, I don’t use any other supplements – should I be while trying to gain muscle?

I will have my husband take some pictures of me tonight! ;) I’ll try and have them up for y’all tomorrow!

I’m sooooooo excited and looking forward to hearing from y’all! :D

First of all, I'm not sure exactly what you're doing over there, but THANK YOU!!!! I would not want your job, and it takes a certain kind of person to be able to do your job....so THANK YOU! I appreciate you for that!

You seem to have a pretty good idea of what you're doing with the diet and training. How long have you been doing the 5x5? Your protein is higher than it really needs to be, so you can drop that down a little if you feel you want to. 1.5 grams of protein per lb of bodyweight for you would be 178 - and that's plenty. Just an fyi...

I think doing Squats 3x a week is WAYYY too much for legs. Also, what are you doing for hamstrings and glutes? I'm not seeing every muscle group being worked.

If need 3 days in the gym at 45 min per training session, I would break it down like this...

Monday
Chest, Back, Bi's

Wed
Shoulders, Ab's, Tri's

Friday
Legs (quads, hams, glutes and calves)

...or something close to that.

I really would like to know your bf%! What kind of noodles are you eating? ...flour, WW, soy? (I know you may not have much to choose from over there) Do they have sweet potatoes over there? Maybe you could replace the grapes and pineapple with those - or something that has a little less simple sugar?

WELCOME!!!! :)

IcePrincess,

I just want to say a quick hello! I'm just finishing up my 4th week of posting a log and it's one of the best things I've done for myself. I feel totally blessed to have found this site. Although opinions expressed may vary widely, I have found most of the ladies here to be extremely knowledgeable and dedicated, as well as supportive of me. You are in great hands. :)

IcePrincess Pics!

Wow, everyone, thanks for the replies! :D :wavey:

Picture time!!! My husband took some pics last night and this morning. Also, we THINK we have found someone with a MyoTape, so I should have some measurements for you tomorrow morning. :) After that, I think I'm set, right?!

Ok...pics. Constructive criticism is welcome, so feel free to give feedback! Sorry about the glare, but unfortunately, tanning is not an option over here. Ha! :)

Alright, let's see if these pics post, and I'll get today's food up later! Have a GREAT day! :rolly:

Thanks!

Some quick replies...

ScorpioGirl: First, thanks for your compliments and comments! I am definitely tweaking the protein input, and we'll see how that plays out. The noodles are from white flour, unfortunately. :worried: As far as workouts go, there are a couple of considerations involved:

1) I am a believer in higher volume and frequency, at varying intensities, for hypertrophy. I am beginning the 3rd week of the Dual Factor 5x5 program and really enjoying it so far. I will run through the full 9 week cycle and assess from there. I am definitely still in the learning mode about what works for my body.
2) The squats are definitely working my hamstrings and glutes! ;) Ha!

jnuts: I take it you've been over here or somewhere similar. I hope you're back home now. :)

skychick: Thank you so much. I am really looking forward to doing this journal everyday and being accountable. I have really enjoyed reading through this section of the forum and seeing how supportive people are, so I knew it would be great to jump in! Thanks again...

buffalogal: LOL! I don't know that I'm a HERO, but I appreciate it! You are TOO sweet! :verygood:

Thanks again, everyone. :heart:

Top Bottom