Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

I suck at understanding diets.

figurechamp

I think I end up over thinking them, that's my problem. :) so here's my deal...

I'm currently "bulking". I'm 170 lbs, 5'10ish. Competed heavyweight bb at 152 in may. Want to specifically gain size in legs and shoulders/upper back. When I started comp diet, I was at a 19% bf 176 lbs. I'm pretty sure I'm currently leaner in terms of fat. My strength is pretty good. Not doing cardio at all. Don't want to either, save that for dieting.

But here's the thing... My husband (who serves as a great litmus for keeping it real) says that I'm not as muscular as before I started dieting. Says it's mostly notable in my arms. I have made gains in my legs. My ass is much tighter and dare I say bubblier (yay me!!! Lol), and my quads seem to show more muscle, so I'm pleased with those gains. And I must be in caloric surplus or else I wouldn't have gained 20 lbs.

So is it possible to have lost muscle or is this a figment of his imagination? I seriously cannot tell. I have terrible dysmorphia and really have no idea what I look like.

I'm eating around 2700 calories. Mostly clean. Can't pinpoint my macros at the moment but I do know I'm taking in close to my weight in protein.

So I'm eating in surplus, I'm lifting heavy and hard, I think I'm doing everything "right," so is it possible to shrink?!?

Oh-- I should also say that I know my body comp has changed since beginning the contest diet. At that point, I was wearing size ten pants. Dieted down to a six, then maintained an eight. Still wearing eights and the tens are still too big.

Confused. Sigh.

Is it "possible" it's just the visual effect of being thicker (higher bf) right now?

Meaning - I have certain bodyparts that just don't show a tremendous amount of definition until I'm in a cut and lose that extra layer - seems I tend to carry more in certain areas vs all.... so, is it possible that you haven't really "lost" anything - it's just covered up right now?

Also - as you know - we can lose some of that hard earned muscle dieting down/cutting for a comp - could be you did lose some size and need some catching up as well?

Is it "possible" it's just the visual effect of being thicker (higher bf) right now?

Meaning - I have certain bodyparts that just don't show a tremendous amount of definition until I'm in a cut and lose that extra layer - seems I tend to carry more in certain areas vs all.... so, is it possible that you haven't really "lost" anything - it's just covered up right now?

Also - as you know - we can lose some of that hard earned muscle dieting down/cutting for a comp - could be you did lose some size and need some catching up as well?

Hmmm... Yes, those all sound like some pretty good possibilities that I hadn't considered. (Duh!! Lol). So then how do you know if how you're training and eating is "right"? You can't rely on the scale and measurements would be just as useless I think b/c who knows if there's really more muscle there or just more fat? And pictures are worthless to me coz I can't "see" myself, if that makes sense. However, in hindsight from my comp pics, I can clearly see that I'm not big enough nor was I lean enough, compared to others in the show with me. So I know I have work to do, but I get mixed up on the part of wondering if I'm heading in the right direction. Does that even make sense?!? :)

I take measurements every few weeks. I thought I'd lost size too but I'd actually gained so much in my legs it was just making my upper body appear smaller. :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using EliteFitness

Top Bottom