Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

I need to GAIN 20 pounds

Step

Hey ladies. I'm new here but thought I would jump on in. My name is Step and I'm 22, and here is why I'm here: I'm going to try out for the position of Police Service Aide, eventually going on to the police academy, but to do so I need to gain 20 pounds because height and weight have to be proportionate and I also need to be able to pass the physical endurance tests. Not to mention I need physical strength to be an officer.

I come from a long line of petite people. I'm currently 5'2" and weigh 90 pounds. :worried: Up until last week, I led a fairly low-activity lifestyle. I have an insane metabolism. I swear it seems like the more I eat, the more weight I lose. The most I have ever weighed was 105, and I was 8 months pregnant!

I've been doing simple exercises like crunches, sit-ups, push-ups, stretching, and walking, but I've got a long way to go to be ready for police work.

The only thing I have at my disposal is a weight bench, a track, and lots of floor space. My current plan is to walk/jog/run as often as I can, working up to a daily run (because I have to be able to run 1.5 miles in 16 minutes). I've never used a weight bench before, so my husband is going to be helping me with that.

I eat basically whatever I want because I have no need to lose weight. A typical breakfast would be coffee, maybe some eggs or a bowl of cereal, sometimes a sandwich, lol. Lunch is usually a sandwich or a huge salad, maybe a burger and fries. Dinner is usually hamburger somethingorother or chicken, a veggie, maybe some mac and cheese. I drink a lot of milk and I snack when I'm hungry but not big-meal-hungry. I basically eat whatever is at my disposal at the time.

I haven't been on any kind of exercise routine since gym in high school, but I'm very determined to do this. I have 20 pounds to gain and I need all the help I can get.

Thanks!!!

Due to your fast metablosism and the primary goal being weight gain, forget about the jogging or any serious cardio. Eat more often, at least 5-6 meals per day. The key here is to be regimented about the calories you consume. I would focus on 3 exercises if I were training you. Squats, Bench press and cleans. These 3 are the best mass builders and will get every muscle group. As far as being able to run 1.5 miles in 16 minutes.....If you can run that far (or even walk that far) your probably able to do it in the alloted time. A comfortable walk is 3 miles per hour so you barely need to be beyond that to reach the goal. Focus on the weight gain and best of luck!
Step said:
Hey ladies. I'm new here but thought I would jump on in. My name is Step and I'm 22, and here is why I'm here: I'm going to try out for the position of Police Service Aide, eventually going on to the police academy, but to do so I need to gain 20 pounds because height and weight have to be proportionate and I also need to be able to pass the physical endurance tests. Not to mention I need physical strength to be an officer.

I come from a long line of petite people. I'm currently 5'2" and weigh 90 pounds. :worried: Up until last week, I led a fairly low-activity lifestyle. I have an insane metabolism. I swear it seems like the more I eat, the more weight I lose. The most I have ever weighed was 105, and I was 8 months pregnant!

I've been doing simple exercises like crunches, sit-ups, push-ups, stretching, and walking, but I've got a long way to go to be ready for police work.

The only thing I have at my disposal is a weight bench, a track, and lots of floor space. My current plan is to walk/jog/run as often as I can, working up to a daily run (because I have to be able to run 1.5 miles in 16 minutes). I've never used a weight bench before, so my husband is going to be helping me with that.

I eat basically whatever I want because I have no need to lose weight. A typical breakfast would be coffee, maybe some eggs or a bowl of cereal, sometimes a sandwich, lol. Lunch is usually a sandwich or a huge salad, maybe a burger and fries. Dinner is usually hamburger somethingorother or chicken, a veggie, maybe some mac and cheese. I drink a lot of milk and I snack when I'm hungry but not big-meal-hungry. I basically eat whatever is at my disposal at the time.

I haven't been on any kind of exercise routine since gym in high school, but I'm very determined to do this. I have 20 pounds to gain and I need all the help I can get.

Thanks!!!

I am very out of shape, and I also smoke about 1/2 pack a day, so as of right now, I could not run 1.5 miles. I'll be surprised if I can run 1/4 mile. I have to do the cardio. I also need to build up leg muscle because one of the tests is leg presses. The sit ups and push ups I'll be able to do just fine. Muscle is definitly what I need to focus on though.

GOOD FOR YOU!! Your goal to join law enforcement is excellent!!

I myself am going after a State Trooper career. My main goal is to gain a little more muscle mass and increase my strength (I plan on blowing the male applicants out of the water). I've always kept an active lifestyle so my routine is probably going to vary from what you're looking for. I'm hitting the gym 4 nights a week using strictly free weights, doing cardio three times a week (away from the gym) and relying on some of my hobbies for what's leftover.

Keep in mind you are not going to change overnight so be patient with your results. It sounds like you might want to work on the diet so you're supplying your body with the proper fuel. Spreading your meals out over the course of the day will allow you to increase your intake. I have a very fast metabolism so eating enough in a day requires I eat about every two hours. I'm also using a protein shake twice a day.

The smoking (sorry, I hate to preach) has to stop. It'll take your lungs a little time to recover, but stick with it and you'll be thankful you did. I know of ONE cop (out of several) who smokes and he's a paper pusher these days... you don't need them. :)

I hope you have an excellent pair of running shoes. If not I suggest you buy a pair. Your shins and joints will thank you for it. I personally HATE running so I hit the pool once a week for cardio, in addition to running 2-3 miles twice a week. If you have access to a bicycle it might be a slightly easier way to get into the cardio.

They test on a leg press huh? Lunges and squats will help and you can do them with the equipment you have at your disposal. Focus on full range of motion and technique. I'm leary about suggesting an actual routine since each person's body reacts differently. Flexibility is very important so including a stretching routine will be in your favor.

Keeping a log of your exercises, sets, reps, weights, etc will help keep you motivated. When you can see your progress it makes you feel great! I'm sorry for being vague, but I am by no means a professional. All I know is what's working for me. Good luck chica!!

Last edited:
thanks dirty d. I know I need to quit smoking. Lucky for me I've only been smoking for five years, off and on, and I'm not that addicted.

The bicycle thing is a good idea. That's something my hubby and I can do together, and even with our daughter. I wish I had a swimming pool at my disposal but I don't, and I don't have any money to spare for a gym membership. Oh well, I'll work with what I've got.

Congrats on your goal & determination! Like DD said, it's going to take time, but always remember the best "anabolic" (muscle builder) is protein. So eat eat eat! If you eat clean food with good fats & carbs, along w/ protein, you will gain muscle, but you will also have more energy. Make sure you get some good vitamins & probably some good anti-oxidants to help your body clean out the trash left over from smoking. Drink LOTS of water (1 - 1 1/2 gal / day) to keep yourself hydrated but also to keep the garbage flowing out of your body.

Here's an interesting thought - for leg workout -- got a heavy truck or SUV and a flat paved surface available? Try pushing the truck for 100 ft 5x. If you have a local rugby league or something, maybe talk to the coach & see what sort of strength training they do - they might mention something like a truck push for ya.

I did that while training w/ the local men's rugby team offseason. No I didn't play rugby w/ them, but I just wanted to try a new way of training. They did 5 sets of truck push along w/ cardio-oriented training like step-ups for 3 minutes, walking lungest w/ weights, squats, etc. You might get some interesting suggestions for training w/o needing a full gym.

Ah! another thought - does the local highschool or university have a gym facility you could use?

I could only use the high school's gym or university's gym if I was going to school there, and I haven't been in high school in four years. I'm going to call around and see how much gym memberships are around town. I also don't have an heavy car at my disposal and I doubt I'd even be able to push my 1900-pound Saturn, let alone a heavy SUV.

I did job a mile this morning, which is the most exercise I've done at one time in six years! My legs are sore as hell, but it was worth it. Now I know I can probably get away with jogging twice a week and focus the rest on weights and stretching.

I could only use the high school's gym or university's gym if I was going to school there, and I haven't been in high school in four years. I'm going to call around and see how much gym memberships are around town. I also don't have an heavy car at my disposal and I doubt I'd even be able to push my 1900-pound Saturn, let alone a heavy SUV.

I did job a mile this morning, which is the most exercise I've done at one time in six years! My legs are sore as hell, but it was worth it. Now I know I can probably get away with jogging twice a week and focus the rest on weights and stretching.

Want to gain weight...eat a hawk-which at least once a day,Thats a jar of peanut butter between 2 Eggo waffles,anyone remember that from WWF a couple years ago?

the good pair of shoes comment...I highly reccomend the Nike shox. I love running, ran cross country in middle/high school and the 800m and 2 mile for track, but had problems with shin splints and my knees so I had to quit. Ever since, when I start running again, the shin splints and knee problems come back badly. I splurged on a pair of Nike Shox back in March (they were $100) and have had no problems/pain whatsoever since.

Top Bottom