Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

I am a part of the problem - Toning Myth

Gladiola

I'm an aerobics instructor, and as such, I teach 'muscular endurance' classes (BodyPump & others). Light pink dumbells & tons of reps.

Last night I was at the women's club lifting (I'm rarely there anymore). Of course, I was one of the only ones doing free weights at all, let alone heavy weight. I saw a girl doing bicep curls with 5lbs (her arms weren't scrawny & she was nowhere near fatigue, she coulda handled more). Her form was quite good - it occurred to me she may have taken some of the fitness classes.

and I may have been the instructor. I remember FitFossil mentioning that women somewhat propogate the horrendus 'Toning myth' that light weight/hi reps is best. I agreed. Last night I realized *I* am one of those women. :(

BUT - whenever I teach those classes I always make an effort to educate as much as I can. "This is muscular endurance, not strength training. Hit the weights & work to failure for strength." If it weren't for these classes, I know that many women would never get ANY resistance training at all. At least they also can learn proper form in the class.

So should I be feeling bad? :devil:

Oh MY, whatever are we going to do with you???? Maybe whap ya over the head with a pink dumbell!!! These women are going to go to these classes whether you are teaching them or not. It puts you in a perfect position to teach about REAL resistance training - I would use it as such. Even the fitness chicks in the mags preach the high rep gospel because basically women don't want to hear LIFT HEAVY - sadly the truth doesn't sell very well.

Temple01 said:
These women are going to go to these classes whether you are teaching them or not.
Oh, I know - that's usually how I see it too. Thanks for sharing your wisdom!

Still, I can't help but feel a touch hypocritical... ya know? :(

Use your toning class to rope 'em in. Once you've got a captive audience you can gradually convert them. Health clubs offer these classes because they SELL. If they offered "Hard 'n Heavy" 99% of women would run the other way. "Toning" is more popular because it sounds less threatening, both in effort and results.

You might have to be a little sneaky with your conversions though. Some ladies might complain to the management that you're trying to bulk them up - LOL. Remember, if it weren't for these classes, some women may never venture to lift a dumbell (albiet a pink one), so keep on making your efforts to educate. The masses will keep believing what they want to, but one by one, you'll have a huge effect on those who choose to listen. You're not part of the problem, you're part of the solution!

Maybe if you tried to explain to them that if they gained more muscle they'd in turn burn off more calories they'd listen.

Muscular endurance is 50 reps on a leg press with 500 lbs not,

"Light pink dumbells & tons of reps. " In my opinion, that does nothing other than waste time. Better off spending 45 minutes on a versa climber or rower, at least one gets a good cardio workout.

W6

Sadly this is what the public wants. Both men and woman these days want a quick answer. Going all out in the weight room just doesn't sound as good as 'body pump', and all that other bullshit gyms and the media throw at people. Do I think you are bad for being part of the problem? Well, now that you realize it's all really a waste of time, and if you were to continue teaching that crap, than yes. But I also must remember, you probably do need to put food on the table, and if you were to change the class "today let's deadlift!", you would probably be fired that day. :( You are in a tough situation. If you really feel that bad, then the best bet, would be to become a trainer instead. That way you could really help people, instead of giving them crap bullshit that will never do a thing for them. I hope you figure out what to do.

ps. Remember, sadly, even if you stop teaching it, someone else will come right in, and the same people will keep on coming in to class. Perhaps they don't want to hear the truth, and wish to continue believing in myths and bs..... :(

wilson6 said:
Muscular endurance is 50 reps on a leg press with 500 lbs not,

"Light pink dumbells & tons of reps. " In my opinion, that does nothing other than waste time. Better off spending 45 minutes on a versa climber or rower, at least one gets a good cardio workout.

W6

i know lifting heavy is better, but i still feel like i get a good workout..im usually sore the next day. is it really that unproductive?!

also..if you do the class should you eat asif you would be lifting heavy weights or cardio?
I dont eat before cardio...can i treat a pump class in the same manner?

what do u do Gladiola?

Top Bottom