Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

HIIT - on empty or fueled? (Shadow?)

The Shadow said:
Same as any other time

What does the body use for fuel on a typical day(if you arent losing weight)??
I guess my question was more time of day specific, i.e. early morning cardio on empty where there was no cals consumed to be used for energy...

and by

having preworkout carbs before cardio....

"^^ so in the latter scenario..
if your body stores carbs as fat = not being used for energy and...
this make it impossible to use 'stored body fat for energy'...

then what the heck does it use for energy??

Protein & Protein tissues, ie. muscle?"

If it's not primarily muscle or protein based tissues, then my question is what is it using for energy (with a preworkout meal of carbs, 1st thing in the morning, with NO other cals consumed to use for energy)

you are still using PART of the carbs for fuel....remember the slin' stored approx 50% as fat

What is the best course for someone who is hypoglycemic and has to eat something upon waking?

Is there anything that can be eaten upon rising that wouldn't interfere with the intended fat burning of HIIT?

hypo is related to blood sugar.
Have you been officially dignosed with hypo??

que_66 said:
What is the best course for someone who is hypoglycemic and has to eat something upon waking?

Is there anything that can be eaten upon rising that wouldn't interfere with the intended fat burning of HIIT?

There I'm goign to say the hypoglycemia needs heavily outweigh the "optimal fat burning' requirements of HIIT. So address what is needed for the hypoglycemia - because in a sense isnt' that just getting you to where your body needs to be to be "normal". Anything above and beyond that is what I would consider to be excess carb in the context of what Shadow is talking about.

Sometimes when I've had to do cardio in the AM I am freekin starving and there's no way I'll not pass out trying to get thru w/o eating something. That's when I'll get some protein cals in me like egg whites - its practically nothing but its not carbs, its not fats (not much) and its enough cals to address the hunger.

I also don't think that you can always attempt to be 1000% optimal in what you do --- ok maybe if you are on a tight track for a national competition, but even then, if a tiny little bit of carb is what you need to deal w/ a hunger in the morning is enough to completely f* up your whole program, then you need to rethink your program, your time table or your goals.

Sassy69 said:
There I'm goign to say the hypoglycemia needs heavily outweigh the "optimal fat burning' requirements of HIIT. So address what is needed for the hypoglycemia - because in a sense isnt' that just getting you to where your body needs to be to be "normal". Anything above and beyond that is what I would consider to be excess carb in the context of what Shadow is talking about.

Sometimes when I've had to do cardio in the AM I am freekin starving and there's no way I'll not pass out trying to get thru w/o eating something. That's when I'll get some protein cals in me like egg whites - its practically nothing but its not carbs, its not fats (not much) and its enough cals to address the hunger.

I also don't think that you can always attempt to be 1000% optimal in what you do --- ok maybe if you are on a tight track for a national competition, but even then, if a tiny little bit of carb is what you need to deal w/ a hunger in the morning is enough to completely f* up your whole program, then you need to rethink your program, your time table or your goals.
Shadow: Yes.

Sassy: That's where I was getting confused. (Imagine that.) So if I eat just enough to satisfy the glucose gods so that I don't see stars & pass out - I would still be able to have an effective HIIT session albeit not as effective in the fat burning realm as on an empty stomach? Or would am exercise after food be like pissin in the wind?

cindylou said:
ok HIIT is done mostly for fat loss right? SO you would wanna do it at the best time for fat loss.

Steady state cardio is for burning extra cals? So can be done anytime.

right?

I think this post has been adderssed, but I just wanted to chime in. To me - I am not sure why you would want to just "burn extra calories". I think the whole point of cardio, for 99.9% of people is to burn fat.

And like Shadow said, the argument on SS v HIIT is old and tired, lol. But again, to me, this is why I think HIIT is better than SS in general for losing fat. You may burn more fat as a percentage in SS cardio, but if the total calories is more, intense cardio is better.

Scenerio ....

SS cardio for 20 min: say you burn 100 total calories, 50% calories from fat = 50 fat calories.

Intense cardio for 20 min: say you burn 200 calories, but only 30% calories from fat = 60 fat calories

Math argument, but to ME it doesn't MATTER where those calories are burned. What matters is TOTAL calories. Not to mention you have a higher caloric after burn with HIIT and higher intensity cardio.

Sassy69 said:

.....if a tiny little bit of carb is what you need to deal w/ a hunger in the morning is enough to completely f* up your whole program, then you need to rethink your program, your time table or your goals.

I was thinking these exact same things.

1) If FTITM HIIT is too hard on empty, I was thinking about taking 1/2 a protein shake (about 10g protein, like 1-2g carb in it) just to ease the feeling of "being on empty".

2) I cannot imagine, at this point FOR ME, that a small amout of food before FTITM HIIT is going to make or break me. Maybe in a few months - but right now, my body is just happy I am moving, lol.

This thread pretty much did what I wanted it to do - good discussion. :)

Personally I'd also throw in the fact that if you do only one type of cardio - SS or HIIT on the premise that one is more effective than the other, you are leaving yourself to get more conditioned to the one type when variety is extremely valuable as a general rule.

Top Bottom