Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

High reps vs. Low reps--comp ladies

jackedmom

Do any of you ladies vary your training to a more high rep scheme pre-contest. I'm still working on leaning out the legs and as I get closer I am considering doing more high rep stuff and adding some more finishing type moves to the leg day. Do you stay heavy and add some light days or do you switch completely over to higher reps and lighter weight etc?

Depending on how close to comp you are. The last week + 1/2 or so you see a switch to mostly cable work, full body training, then stop.

Sassy69 said:
Depending on how close to comp you are. The last week + 1/2 or so you see a switch to mostly cable work, full body training, then stop.

That's what I was figuring when I get that close. Still 10 weeks out. I'm training pretty heavy but not getting below 5 reps at the top of a pyramid scheme and not more than 20 reps on a warm-up set. Typically, I stay heavy decreasing reps and adding weight each set. I changed up my quad training from 6 sets of squats (rep range around 8-10) to 20 rep sets at a lower weight and wow--I'm wicked sore today. Must have hit different fibers.

Wasn't sure at what point you make that switch. Thanks, Sassy.

If you are pyramiding up on your sets you are hitting different fibers...cables wont change that...what cables allow:

1 - Variety of angles

2 - Training safety as you deplete

The point w/ the lighter weights as you get closer is that you are not going to build any more mass at the last week before a show, so no point pushing weights like you would further out. Also you are depleting, you are going to be more exhausted and you need to let your body relax some so you aren' holdign water on stage and look flat/exhausted. As well as the safety factor.

Yep, my boyfriend echoed what you said, Sassy. He wants me to add in more finishing moves and lose the lower reps in the compound movements. So far so good. Thanks for your replies.

A lot of my training for this past show was geared specifically to enhance the display of detail for each specific BB pose and not for just general muscle size / growth / whatever. Its all about fine-tuning for display on stage. Equivalently, for figure you want to work on what will enhance your delts / waist / legs "X", give the best display of detail on your "lat spread" and tightness on your front / side qtr turns.

Top Bottom