Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Hey - gonna learn Olympic lifting

SteelWeaver

Went to sports admin at my university today to ask about wrestling - thought that could be a fun sport to try, but they don't have it right now - I have to put in a proposal if I want it. However, they do have Olympic lifting. I've been trying to incorporate some O lifts into my workouts, but they're hard to learn alone from just descriptions and pictures and the odd video clip. Looks like I can get a coach! Cool!

That's so cool! It's funny you bring this up - on Sunday I'm gonna be working on my clean and press form with my PLer; next, I was thinking about learning how to snatch. So much to learn...how could you ever possibly get bored with this sport?

Exactly! I could just keep on doing this forever and be excited about it all over again every single day. I got ahold of the coach toady - he sounded really keen - even asked if I was training tonight and he'd start with me! But I'm off tonight :( Anyway, going to watch a meet at the university tomorrow where he'll be, meet up, meet the other club members.

Very revved up about this! Then by the time I sort out a power rack and so on, and do WSB, I'll have the three core styles under my belt. Cool :)

VERY excited for you, Steel.

You and JJ are gonna have so much fun with your training now!

Yeah, I have to admit I'm psyched. Luckily, my guy is a stickler on form, so I know I'll be learning the right way from the beginning.

I've been playing with hang clean and press, but I kept wondering how cleans could be part of a leg workout. He got a good laugh out of that one - maybe I should be a little scared. :)

JJ: I work on my front squats due to cleans. Cleans have really helped with my leg drive.

Someday, try The Bear. It's comprised of: hang clean into push press, lower bar into back squat, explode up into push press. That's just one rep. I follow a 5x5 protocol with The Bear. This was created Coach Davies of Renegade Training.

This is my idea of fun...yeah, I know. I'm twisted.

I know I don't post much but as a new convert to O lifts I'm here to say they are the absolute BOMB!!
My upper back and traps have exploded since learning them. I have also increased sport specific speed just training the lifts.
How do I know? Because I run stairs as a cardio option. After not running stairs for quite a while (several weeks) and instituting the Olifts my foots speed and ability to "fly' has noticibly increased.
I also noticed a maintenance of cardio capacity with out training cardio specific. Give the bear or any of those renegade moves a try and you'll see why.
You're gonna love 'em.
Storm1
Back to lurk mode:D

Post away storm, post away! It looks like I'm going to be doing a fair amount of gabbling about OL in the near future, and since there isn't much of OL on these boards, any input would be great!

Slinky - I must be twisted too, because that sounds like a hell of a lot of fun to me! lol

Wow, JJ if you'd seen the comp I went to yesterday, you'd se how a clean can be part of a leg workout. Wow - talk about some seriously strong front squats! OMG, I've never seen OL in real life ... I had no idea how beautiful it could be. Talk about skill, balance, intensity, explosiveness, co-ordination ... awesome.

Anyway, I spoke to the coach - I start with him on Tuesday! And, get this - I asked him if they work out the "real" lifts based on weight to strength ratios, like in PL, and he said, no, not really - it's basically just a weight class, and what you lift is what you lift. So there are 2 weight classes for women - under 75 and over 75kg. Obviously I'm already way into the over 75's ha ha. So I said, great, that means I can get up to 100kgs if I like, and they won't use some formula that makes my weight/strength ratio bad? He was like, sure, you can get as big as you like, and the bigger you get, the stronger you'll get, generally speaking. But most women don't like to put on weight ... if you don't mind putting on weight, I can make you an SA champion - maybe not a world champion, but sure an SA champ. (!!!)

Anyway, he might be big talk, which is fine, whatever, so long as he can teach me the lifts properly. But he reckons there's a gap in the "market" so to speak, for female weightlifters. Hmm, this could be an interesting foray!

Wish me luck :)

(After this I'm going to learn how to wrestle, and then call myself Asia (not just Chyna, ha ha) and start raking in the bucks LMFAO!!!)

Top Bottom