Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Hey - gonna learn Olympic lifting

Yeah - I got a nice, lovely scrape right across my collar bone after the last session. I also tore up my thumbs a bit initially; I think I was letting the bar rotate a little, and it just ripped up the inside of both my thumbs.

Throw in a couple bruises on the knees from deadlifting, and I'm looking pretty right now. Good thing that ShowTan covers and hides most of that stuff. :)

wow...how did I miss this thread?! I've been working on the basics of the clean. I have a tendency to start thinking too much, then hesitating! But I'm with you ladies...this OL is so much fun! I am reading a book called "Explosive Lifitng for Sports" which outlines the different olympic lifts...very good reading with lots and lots of pics.

I have a question about your grip...they show a "hook" grip in the book for pulls...do you ladies use this type of grip? I haven't tried it but the author recommends it.

No, I haven't tried it. My PLer started me with a standard grip (hence the beat up thumbs). Maybe that's the grip Steel's coach has her using?

The other thing he has me doing to get used to hang cleans is I warm up before every lift with an Oly complex instead of doing 5-10 minutes of cardio. I just use the bar for this complex:

Hang clean -> front squat -> press -> rear squat (high bar) -> push press.

I do 3 sets of 5, with a minute rest in between. I'm definitely warmed up by the time I'm finished, plus I'm getting much smoother on my cleans.

Yup! Hook grip. Inside of thumb getting a bit ripped up - the sweet beginnings of callouses :) This grip allows you to relax your arms, which weill increase your speed wen you're flipping the bar up overhead in the snatch. That was the second thing he taught me. The first thing was "ALWAYS throw the bar away from you when you feel it going - NEVER let the bar fall on you - throw it - I don't care where, but throw it away" lol. I've only had it fall on me once - scraped my thigh. There's so much to concentrate on all at once, it's easy to forget about tossing the bar.

I've let the bar "float" a few times, and thrown it into my oesophagus by mistake - this isn't comfortable, lol.

Yeah, Nonerz, the first few moves of every session are always a bit jerky, because nothing's habitualised yet - I'm still thinking about each part of the move - bar over balls of feet, slow on the first pull, explode from mid thigh, up on calves, explode traps , bring up the elbows, arms relaxed, flip op the bar - OPEN hands to let it drop onto shoulders, etc etc. It all happens so quickly, but it's coming together very nicely - my cleans are good, the push jerks aren't bad, except for not pulling my shoulders blades together. And I simply can't believe how quickly my squat is going up. I squatted four times last week - 2 back, 2 front, and every time the weight jumped. It's eerie.

My coach also told me a very cool thing - as one starts lifting heavier weights, so the bar bends, right? Well, OL'ers USE this bendy "whippiness" of the bar to add to the speed of their lift and the amount of weight they can lift by timing the rebound of the bendy ends of the bar to coincide with their upthrust, thus allowing the bar's momentum to basically lift itself!!! I think that is SO the funkiest thing!

nonerz did great today! she is getting the timing down pretty well. main hangup is exploding too soon for the second pull which causes her to bang her knees with the bar. a few times, she got the timing just right with the explosive shrug and the bar ended up by her "nooose". hehe. so the rack was rather jarring. i had her work with the 45lb bar today to get used to the size, balance of it.

like you guys said, its alot of timing the movements and it becoming more of an instinctive pattern vs a concious lift. the conciousness comes in the early phases of learning the parts of the lift and then putting it all together. ah well, we learn by doing....and she did alot today!

finished her up with some push/presses today, she got up to 65 for 10 and really saw how it has to be an explosive movement.

some farmer walks to round out the fun and we were on our way.

she's on her way to doing "the bear" soon enough. hehehe.

Cool! Yeah, I have the same problem - exploding too soon. That, and not stamping my feet hard enough - coach keeps on at me about this. I'm sure once I get some proper shoes he'll hear me stamp!

Push presses are a ball - the stronger the legs, the zappier the explosion.

Dunno about the bear, but I'm going to be doing SOMETHING animal pretty soon, heh heh heh :)

SteelWeaver said:
I'm going to be doing SOMETHING animal pretty soon, heh heh heh :)
;) The bears sound like fun, but I think I'll wait until I get a little better!

Yep, I kept banging my knees on the first pull...I'm anxious to get that bar up! I love the Olympic lifts! I sweat up a storm doing them, which is always a plus as far as I'm concerned!

Keep the updates coming...they are great to read!:)

Top Bottom