Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Help me convince my GF that Non diet Soda makes you FAT!

LivinLarger

My girlfriend and I argue sometimes about nutrition. She works hard to stay in shape, excercises and eats as well as she can.
She insists that diet soda will put on more weight due to the sodium in it.
It's hard to see her eat like a bird and then watch her wash it down with a Mountain Dew! Hopefully she will listed to some other females cuz she thinks I'm full of crap.
Thanks

Soda period is evil.
Diet or otherwise.

DRINK WATER!

: )

Someone told me once, I think it was in high school that the bubbles in carbonated drinks give you cellulite. Now frankly, I have no idea if there is any truth in that what so ever - but when I see soda I think "cellulite".

Damn shame, because I miss seltzer a whole heck of a lot - but plain water does a body good.

How's that?

Hey bro heres one for you. Carbonated drinks are the single biggest source of refined sugars in the American diet. According to dietary surveys, soda pop provides the average American with seven teaspoons of sugar per day, out of a total of 20 teaspoons. Lots of soda pop means lots of sugar means lots of calories. Soft drinks are the fifth largest source of calories for adults. They provide 5.6% of all the calories that Americans consume.In fact, soft drinks pose health risks both because of what they contain (for example, sugar and various additives) and what they replace in the diet (beverages and foods that provide vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients. Numerous factors - from lack of exercise to eating too many calories to genetics - contribute to obesity. Soda pop adds unnecessary, non-nutritious calories to the diet, though it has not been possible to prove that it (or any other individual food) is responsible for the excess calories that lead to obesity. However, one recent study found that soft drinks provide more calories to overweight adults than to other adults. The National Institutes of Health recommends that people who are trying to lose or control their weight should drink water instead of soft drinks with sugar.
Refined sugar is one of several important factors that promote tooth decay (dental caries). Regular soft drinks promote decay because they bathe the teeth of frequent consumers in sugar-water for long periods of time during the day. An analysis of data found a strong correlation between the frequency of between-meal consumption of soda pop and dental caries.
Kidney (urinary) stones are one of the most painful disorders to afflict humans and one of the most common disorders of the urinary tract. According to the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK), a unit of the National Institutes of Health, the NIDDK includes cola beverages on a list of foods that doctors may advise patients to avoid. One problem with caffeine is that it increases the excretion of calcium in urine. Drinking 12 ounces of caffeine-containing soft drink causes the loss of about 20 milligrams of calcium, or two percent of the U.S. RDA (or Daily Value). That loss, compounded by the relatively low calcium intake in girls who are heavy consumers of soda pop, may increase the risk of osteoporosis.

Hope that helps.
TBM

regular soda is the biggest waste of EMPTY calories and it just adds extra carbs and sugars to your body.....It is NO good for you! Drink water or crystal light....its bad news!!! Just ask her to cut back or give it up for a few weeks and keep a journal and see if she drops some lbs!

Ditto to everything thats been said so far...

------------------
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

LivinLarger, you said she drinks Mountain Dew? ACK! That pop has the most caffeine in it too! Caffeine isn't good for you either.

Also may mention that it yellows the teeth and promotes tooth decay! Not very attractive either!

I usally use tea sweeten with Equal and a half of lemon..

I agree, soda pop is terrible for adding sugar in one's diet. But for the caffine in Dew? Less than in a cup of coffee. 55mg.

Top Bottom