Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Hamstring training?

msboss

What do you find works best for you for hamstrings? How do you do your straight leg deadlifts. These never did alot for me and was wondering how I could improve this movement or others? How do you train to get the seperation between the Quads and Hams?

Thanks msboss

Straight leg dead lift is awesome for thick hams, and a nice shaping excersise for your ass..hard to explain proper technique. The hands shoulder width apart, feet close together, maybe a fist width apart....Palms facing in (both). You drive heels of your feet into the floor as you lift, and squeeze glutes...ANY HELP???

There is NO DOUBT that the sitffleg deadlift, properly done, is the best mass movement for the hams BY FAR!

Problem is almost nobody knows how to do them.
Most reach way down with the arms and have minimal hip pivit.

THE KEY is to pivit at the hip.

This is how you do them......first of all you will need wrist straps once you are working this exercise hard.
Shoulder width grip, both palms facing towards you. Keep the back straight ALL THE TIME. PIVIT at the hip and stick you buttt backwards and bend over. DO NOT reach down with the arms as you bend over AT THE HIP. Keep the bar close to your legs all the time. Legs are very slightly bent(unlocked). A few can do this movement safely with locked knees. Go down ONLY to slightly below the knee and I don't care if you have the flexibilty to put your elbows on the floor. If you go deep you will screw up your back sooner or latter as this opens up the lumber spine way too much.
Before doing each rep take a deep breath and hold it as you go down, stick your chest out and either flatten your low back or slightly arch it...... and then exhale after the sticking point is past on the way up.

Try the movement without a bar.....just pivit at the hip and try to feel the hamstring stretch as you go down. Full stretch occurs somewhere between hands at knee level to hands at mid shin level. Some can go to mid shin but it is risky IMHO.
If you are going down to shoe top level then you are NOT getting more ham stretch but are just reaching down with the arms and rounding the low back...BAD IDEA.

If you are doing them correctly then you should be able to lift almost as much as you squat.

RG:)

Yes, but I've noticed some people do them off the end of a bench and drop down past their toes and some just drop to the tops of the shoes laces. How far up do you come? All the way up to a full stand or just partially?

:) msboss

msboss said:
Yes, but I've noticed some people do them off the end of a bench and drop down past their toes and some just drop to the tops of the shoes laces. How far up do you come? All the way up to a full stand or just partially?

:) msboss
This was in response to PBR.

Realgains said:
There is NO DOUBT that the sitffleg deadlift, properly done, is the best mass movement for the hams BY FAR!

Problem is almost nobody knows how to do them.
Most reach way down with the arms and have minimal hip pivit.

THE KEY is to pivit at the hip.

This is how you do them......first of all you will need wrist straps once you are working this exercise hard.
Shoulder width grip, both palms facing towards you. Keep the back straight ALL THE TIME. PIVIT at the hip and stick you buttt backwards and bend over. DO NOT reach down with the arms as you bend over AT THE HIP. Keep the bar close to your legs all the time. Legs are very slightly bent(unlocked). A few can do this movement safely with locked knees. Go down ONLY to slightly below the knee and I don't care if you have the flexibilty to put your elbows on the floor. If you go deep you will screw up your back sooner or latter as this opens up the lumber spine way too much.
Before doing each rep take a deep breath and hold it as you go down, stick your chest out and either flatten your low back or slightly arch it...... and then exhale after the sticking point is past on the way up.

Try the movement without a bar.....just pivit at the hip and try to feel the hamstring stretch as you go down. Full stretch occurs somewhere between hands at knee level to hands at mid shin level. Some can go to mid shin but it is risky IMHO.
If you are going down to shoe top level then you are NOT getting more ham stretch but are just reaching down with the arms and rounding the low back...BAD IDEA.

If you are doing them correctly then you should be able to lift almost as much as you squat.

Thanks so much. I have always gone down past my knees. Thought I had to. Maybe this is why my hamstings were never up to par with my quads. I will try not going down so far and see what the results are. While I've got your attention, what's your opinion on laying DB leg curls.?I've never done them but see alot of people doing them.

msboss

My favorite hamstring move: SQUATS

Other moves I get results from:

Glute Ham Raises
SLDLs
Pull Throughs

...and SPRINTS!

msboss said:
Thanks so much. I have always gone down past my knees. Thought I had to. Maybe this is why my hamstings were never up to par with my quads. I will try not going down so far and see what the results are. While I've got your attention, what's your opinion on laying DB leg curls.?I've never done them but see alot of people doing them.

msboss

Any form of leg curl is okay but inferior to either the stiff leg dead or the deep squat for hamstring developement.
If you are going to do leg curls then it is best to do them BEFORE the SLDL so as to pre fatigue the hams. Then the fresh low back will push the hams very hard in the stiff leg dead.

Going deep just wrecks your form and opens the back to undue stress. You also have to reduce the weight used and this reduces the load on the powerful hams.
You may be one of the few that can do them to mid shin without injury...try them to this point and then try them to just below the knee and see which one works best for you.

RG

spatts said:
My favorite hamstring move: SQUATS

Other moves I get results from:

Glute Ham Raises
SLDLs
Pull Throughs

...and SPRINTS!

Deep squats are very good!

I have had some success with back extensions using weight for sets of 10.

Top Bottom