Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Had my very first mammogram today...

I find that it hurts whne they take them sideways..... l@l <------like this lol seems to hurt my muscle there.....but other then that it is like putting your boobs into a vice ..no problem

There seems to be a lot of variability in terms of reported discomfort. For me it was a bit painful, but definitely bearable. Very briefly the tech mentioned that the amount of pressure that have to exert depends on your breast issue type and age. Mine are big and very firm (too firm in fact, caused by caffiene) so I inferred that these were the reasons why they had to squeeze them so hard to get a good picture. Made sense at the time.

Caffiene can make them more firm? I may have to experiment with that...

Glad to read this. It seems like people are become more and more aware of the importance of self-exams and mamograms. Sure it's no fun, but it's a good thing to get done....just like annual gyn exams. Not the most fun things to do but in the scheme of things a little discomfort is worth it for our health.

if u have bigger breasts does it hurt more? or if u have smaller breasts? My mom has huge breasts like DD's and she hates it....i wear a C cup and someday, ill have to have a mammogram

I'll be going in for my 2nd mamogram soon....annual GYN is today. Last time I had the mamo I had big but loose floopy boobs, it hurt a little but nothing terrible...they squished flat like pancakes pretty easilly. Now with the lift and submuscular implants I am not looking forward to it as the boobs are more sensitive to pressure than before. But something this important has to be done and any discomfort will only last for a few seconds. If you have a low pain tollerance, just take some tylenol before you go.

Puddles said:
I'll be going in for my 2nd mamogram soon....annual GYN is today. Last time I had the mamo I had big but loose floopy boobs, it hurt a little but nothing terrible...they squished flat like pancakes pretty easilly. Now with the lift and submuscular implants I am not looking forward to it as the boobs are more sensitive to pressure than before. But something this important has to be done and any discomfort will only last for a few seconds. If you have a low pain tollerance, just take some tylenol before you go.

See that's what I've been thinking. When they are firmer and the skin is tighter the tech has to exert more pressure on the glands to get a good pic hence the elevated "ouch" factor.

O, Jens, I'm glad! Yay!

When I'd turned 35 (I'm not telling you how long ago that was) I'd already felt a little lump, but I'd figured it was a clogged duct (I was still lactating a teensy bit, long after weaning). But the radiologist, after the sonogram, said it wasn't that, and ordered a needle biopsy. That really sucked, but thankfully it turned out to be benign. I was supposed to go back for a follow-up six months later but I never did. I'm also a year or two over due for my pap.

I know, I know...but my youngest just started kindergarten, so I'll figure out our new insurance, pick a doctor, and get it done...ugh. I just don't want to have to have another biopsy. The scar from the first still gets achy sometimes (they punch a hole in you with a needle like a juice-box straw...).

The mammogram itself wasn't too bad, except that I have a little breast tissue under my arms (ooh...it swelled up during engorgement like little eggs...I could hardly put my arms down!), and getting that in the picture took a lot of pulling and pinching...

jenscats5 said:
Got a letter in the mail today ---> Results = Normal! Whew!

Great News. ;)

I really need to do it again.
But the last time I did it felt like I was ran over by a truck!

Top Bottom