Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Gyms & Spreading Fitness Myths

Gladiola

Talk about wanting to go postal
I just got this e-mail from my sister-in-law (who wants & needs to lose 20 lbs). She joined a gym & I forewarned her that they would not teach her how to use free weights in her orientation (& explained why) & told her she should ASK them to.

Well, the "orientation" was not one on one with the personal trainer. There were about 6 women taking the tour with me. She just showed us the basics .. . if we want to learn more, we have to hire one of their personal trainers.

When she showed us how to use the treadmills, bikes, etc. - she said that we should not run, walk, or cycle longer than 20 minutes, because your body burns FAT during the first 20 minutes . . . and your body burns PROTEIN after 20 minutes. Therefore, if you want to loose fat you should only run, walk for 20 minutes - no more.

Also, she said that we should only exercise 4 x a week. She said if you work out more than that your body will always be swollen from exercising too much and/or water retention, and you won't be able to see your results from working out.

You are going to love this - when she showed us how to use the weight machines & hand weights she said our goal should be to TONE, not build muscle. Building muscle will make us look big and we should avoid that. Most of the basic "toning" exercises she showed us were 10 reps, 3 sets and for biceps & triceps 8 reps, 3 sets.

Can't wait to hear what you have to say about this!!
:kaioken: Someone stop me from driving 2 hours north to beat the $hit out of the chick who told my SIL this!!!!
:bawling: It makes me sad though, b/c if it weren't for me, my SIL probably would have believed that. The other 6 women probably believed it too & will follow it.

BWAHAHAHAHA, Glads sounds like my gym. Not that I ever took the tour but I've seen them. I've also watched the personal training sessions, I've yet to see a man given a weight more than 12.5 pounds. It drives me crazy. There's this one guy who works out with the 5, 7 and when feeling particularly adventurous picks up the 10 pounders, LOL. I think what a joke this gym is, I stay because I really like the amenities, steambath, whirlpool, rock climbing. Thank God, I know how to work out, of course, I am a bit of an anomalie for everyone else!

Potentially Postal Mod said:
Why don't you copy the email, and enclose it in a letter asking her explain these things, and CC the letter to her boss, the gym owner, etc... I'm sure they will ALL be interested in her reply.
:D AWESOME IDEA! Thanks!!! I actually was going to call, talk to the girl who said this crap, & ask to talk to the owner. If it's a chain, I'm going to corporate HQ. If the club is a member of IHRSA, I will contact them as well. Perhaps a call to the local better business bureau is in order as well. I already wrote back to my SIL asking for the name of the Gym & this girl.
I HIGHLY doubt this girl is a "trainer". At the clubs where I teach, we do have some ladies who are "fitness staff" - they're qualified to give orientations & show you how to use the machines - that's all. & they're not called 'trainers' either.

Why don't you copy the email, and enclose it in a letter asking her explain these things, and CC the letter to her boss, the gym owner, etc... I'm sure they will ALL be interested in her reply.

That's actually an EXCELLENT idea - you should really do that! I'd be curious to know what their explanation would be....

Why is it that you can't legally give nutrition advice to someone in a commercial setting if you aren't a registered dietician, but any ol' bafoon can try to give training advice?
OK, creepy - I was thinking the SAME THING! Actually I was starting to write it, but my posts have been long enough already.

If a doctor or lawyer gives blatently false info, there are repurcussions - they could be disbarred/ have a license revoked. Seems to me there should be consequences for this too.

The nutrition thing- that rule ticks me off anyway. I have given advice to friends & co-workers MANY times - not to mention all the advice online. Is that a crime?

Just found out it's a Lucille Roberts gym Anyone know anything about them? I know it's a chain though - so should be interesting seeing how high up the corporate ladder I can climb with complaints!

Gladiola said:
Just found out it's a Lucille Roberts gym Anyone know anything about them? I know it's a chain though - so should be interesting seeing how high up the corporate ladder I can climb with complaints!

I've heard of them. They're pretty big. They have a website too....check it out....http://www.lucilleroberts.com/

lucille roberts is a very commercial women's gym here in the tri-state area (ny nj etc)

i can totally see how that kind of "advice" would be given there.

Even in their tv comercials, they make is seem like a little cardio will make you perfectly hard and lean.

shame on them!

Gladiola said:

OH Lordy :rolleyes:

No wonder.

I'm frightened to say worked for them one summer in high school.
I lasted two days.
It was all about getting the membership fees - if you think Bally's is bad - Lucille is worse.

They are the Avon/Mary Kay of fitness with a main focus on SALES SALES SALES.

I believe (and this info is now old - so I may be wrong) their main offices are in Bohemia, NY (Long Island).

Top Bottom