Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

gymnastics

spiderwoman

Has anyone here ever trained as a gymnast, either as a kid or as an adult? And, if so, have you had any problems haunt you?[previous injuries, like growth plates, etc.]

My kids are in it and love it, I just don't know how far to take it, since I keep hearing of all the pressure/injuries, and all that, and they do their own gymnastics at home anyways.

Hey! this is my 100th post!

I did gymnastics for around 8 years as a child (until age 13). I stopped doing it when I stopped enjoying it (and became an annoying teenager!). I wish I hadn't stopped though... I now teach gymnastics to children, although it is non-competitive.

I say keep your children in it until THEY don't want to do it. Let them decide how far they want to take it. If they enjoy it, are having fun, and are i na positive atmosphere - then no harm done. Only real fear I have about many gymnastics programs is the tyrannical coaches out there...

Gymnastics (and any sport) should ENHANCE children's lives, not CONTROL it.

As a child I did also, but quit to play soccer and be on the swim team.
I loved gymnastics though. I also attribute many of my good physical attributes to my years in gymnastic training at a young age. Flexibility, muscle development that most athletes don't have, good coordination, great balance...it really can help your children develop in many aspects that they can not get anywhere else.
I had no serious injuries. Just the normal stuff. Pulls, strains, bruises etc. AND I was a little chunky when I started, so I am surprised I did not get hurt more.
I think if your children are already a bit on the graceful and balanced side AND they have a responsible, experienced coach... Then they probably will be as safe or safer than in some other sports.
BUT I was a rough kid and I had a strong body. I never had any broken bones or stitches, ever.
I wish them the best at whatever they and you decide to put them in.

Top Bottom