Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Going Heavy - how often do you cycle?

Ali35

I have a tendency to want to lift heavy all the time (maxing out with 4-6 reps). I have read about the concept of going heavy for a few weeks and then switching to lighter weights/higher reps in all exercises for a few weeks.

Does anyone have any tried-and-true advice in this area? I just don't feel as if I'm pushing myself enough if I'm not going heavy for some reason...

Also, if I concentrate on drop-sets would that be considered heavy or light? For example, If I'm doing four consecutive drop-sets on my bench where I'm maxing out at 6 or 8 reps per set would that constitute heavy?

For a drop set I usually start with aobut 75% or so of my max and drop down to very light in one non-stop set with about 4 or 5 different weights.

As for cycling, some of the female power lifters might better answer that one. I usually go heavy as often as possible and listen to what my body is telling me by how fatigued/motivated I am at the gym. Sometimes it is just from a lack of sleep, but then it can also be to over training.

Try like 3 months heavy 1-3 months medium then bac to heavy...

I go heavy every workout - for as many reps as I can. 4 sets - 25 reps each. I start light first set then go heavy 2nd. I drop back down to an intermediate weight for 3rd set and then do as many heavy as I can on 4th. (muscle failure.) I'll either rest and finish with the heavy after a break or drop down again to finish right away.

I feel like a slacker if I don't push myself.

Going as heavy as possible every week is what keeps me motivated. Every time I can add another plate to the bar my adrenaline jumps another notch. Each person is going to have a different method for motivating. If you're willing to spend the time to try it, I don't see why you can't go light for a few weeks. If you do choose to give it a shot, please post up your results. Good luck chica.

Ali35 said:
I have a tendency to want to lift heavy all the time (maxing out with 4-6 reps). I have read about the concept of going heavy for a few weeks and then switching to lighter weights/higher reps in all exercises for a few weeks.

Does anyone have any tried-and-true advice in this area? I just don't feel as if I'm pushing myself enough if I'm not going heavy for some reason...

Also, if I concentrate on drop-sets would that be considered heavy or light? For example, If I'm doing four consecutive drop-sets on my bench where I'm maxing out at 6 or 8 reps per set would that constitute heavy?

Ali,

I do what you might call Westside Powerlifting meets bodybuilding. I call it Hamaraz Bodybuilding.

At anyrate, I recommend what Westside calls Maximum Velocity day. Which aims at speed not power. So if you feel you are overtraining a muscle, to avoid injury, get blood into the muscle, and increase your strength do speed work. Which is:

8 sets of 2-3 reps per exercise. Focus on speed, doing the exercise with perfect form, going from point a to b as fast as possible to develope explosivness. This gets blood into your muscle thus aiding recovery and gives you explosive capability so when you go to Maximum Exertion day, you are better rested, avoiding injury, and have great explosive power, thus, making greater strength gains.

Top Bottom