Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Getting my girlfriend started into fitness to lose some weight... advice/tips?

wutangnomo

Hi there! I've been on this board for a while and know what to do when it comes to me as I've been bodybuilding for many years and have gotten great results. I'm posting this for my girlfriend because she is ready to make a commitment and change her life for the better. I would like some of your ladies input.

My girlfriend has always been an avid swimmer. She is an endurance swimmer and used to be a lifeguard. She has never been into the weights, but now that she has met me that will change. The last few years due personal issues and whatnot she has gained some weight (bodyfat) and she is now motivated to lose that.

Current stats:
Age - 37
Height - 5'6"
Weight - About 148lbs
Bodyfat % - Approximately 30%
Bodytype - Endomorph

Goals:
To get down to around 125-130lbs and lose bodyfat (get down to around 15-20%). Not looking to compete or anything like that, simply improve the health and tone up some.

I have already given her some of the universal fitness advice:

1) Eat smaller meals more frequently throughout the day ... shoot to eat every 3-4 hours ... about 6 meals/day ... she already drinks a ton of water, but I'll make sure she drinks more.

2) Increase protein intake ... right now starting her out at 1lbs protein/lbs bodyweight ... then will increase accordingly ... also will watch her cals and carb intake ... first half of the day will be complex carbs+protein, second half some healthy fats+protein (and lots of veggies throughout the day).

3) She will be training with me ... split will be 4 days working chest/tris, back/bis, shoulders/abs, legs ... focusing on compound movements (squats, deads, presses, rows) ... I will possibly start her off on 5X5, but the training will be adjusted accordingly.

4) She will be doing cardio in the form of swimming (like I said, an avid swimmer) probably around 3 times a week, if not more.

There is a lot more to advise I know, and will get to it these next few days. Should I start her off at 1.5lbs protein/bodyweight? For an endomorph how much cardio is recommended?? This is one area I'm not too sure with as I've never done cardio since I am a natural ectomorph and have always been fairly lean. Any other advise is much appreciated.

ps... Will probalby get her some Glucorell-R

In all honesty, I think you have her on a good track. I am impressed at how well thought out this is and how you are NOT asking about what supplements (legal and illegal) will help her get results. SO refreshing to see this!

First, have her join here...that way, she can ask Qs, get info firsthand, and read through old posts. Reading information is SO IMPORTANT! Plus, it will help keep her motivated!

Diet and weight training are going to be the biggest factors in changing her body. You have the weight training down, which is great. She can train just like you, women and men don't have to train differently.

As for cardio, I would stay with the 3x a week of swimming. Don't go overboard with cardio right away. Use the swimming as her cardio now because she ENJOYS it. Add more cardio later when she plateaus.

Diet.....high protein, I would do 1g-1.5g per lb. So you are looking at at least 150g protein per day. Carbs should be moderate....keep them complex and fibrous. Oatmeal, potato, green veggies (LOTS of veggies!). Fats also moderate....healthy fats....almonds, Flax Oil, Olive Oil, Natty PB.

I would do Glucorell-R just YET...while I LOVE it for dieting, let her naturally lose weight...then add things in when things stall or slow.

Here is a link to what I went through last year...losing over 30lbs through diet and exercise. In the first couple pages, there is my basic diet I used.
http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278522

Thanks for the prompt reply Daisy! Much appreciated!

I've been on this site for a long time under previous handles. I've been into fitness for a long time so yes, I know what I'm doing hehe. And no way in hell would I recommend drugs. Good idea on the glucorell-r, I'll wait until she hits a plateau and let her lose the fat on her own first.

I'm going to start her off on 1g protein/lbs bodyweight and slowly increase to 1.5 after she gets settled into her weight training. I want to give her body a chance to get accustomed to the higher protein intake. Besides, I wouldn't want her to get TOO gasy on me lol.

Thanks for the advice on cardio. She loves swimming and should I see that she is losing some lean muscle we'll cut back on it, and vice versa if I see she is stalling with the fat loss.

I have to admit that I have never been one to count my cals, as I simply aimed to eat 40-50g protein/meal and ajusted the carbs and fat according to my goals. I know my body pretty well not to have to count cals. What should her cal intake be at (11-12 x bodyweight??)? And how many carbs should I start her off on?

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it!

ps... My fiancee (I said girlfriend earlier, but it's really fiancee) has just registered.

Looks like you have her started off on the right foot.

If you need (or if she needs) to track her foods & the protein/fat/carb ratios that food gives her www.fitday.com is a free site and very easy to use....

I'm not a huge calorie counter either. I try to aim for certain amounts of macronutrients, and that is about it. I typically do 1-1.5g protein, ~75g carbs and some fat. I don't measure fat grams, I just "know" about how many servings to eat in a day......1tbsp Oil, 1 serving Almonds, 1 egg yolk and a little PB...and that is it. Figure my fat intake is about 50g or so, some days more some less.

If she is trying to lose BF, start her on BWx12 calories...so, 148lbsx12=1776calories a day to start. Each week, as her weight drops, recalculate. If weight lsos stalls, then drop it to BWx11, BWx10. I don't think you'll go under BWx10...don't want to go too low or metabolism will slow.

When loss slows, you can always manipulate food choices, timing and cardio too. You can drop carbs down a little.

Hello all this is wutangnomo's girlfriend/fiancee, first time I have posted a reply so be gentle....lol... Just wanted to let everyone know I am doing this for me, with motivation. Yes over the years I have "let myself go" and now I have someone who is wonderful in my life and he happens to be into fitness, and I think it is great and couldn't wait to start. Yes I am a swimmer, getting back into it. Usually swim about 3 times a week and about 2 hours total. Let everyone know I started the program..lol.. (Really dont know the correct lingo) this morning, went to the Y and swam and even did some running. Just want you all to know, and will keep everyone updated on my progress, and to say thank you to those with imput, it is appreciated much. And thanks for the diet/info Daisy_girl, and the link/info you sent Jenscats5. Till later everyone. Have a great day and isn't love grand ??? :heart:

I have a question, I had a c-section with my son when he was born, and due to that I have a pouch/lower stomach, and I have tried everything to get rid of it, nothing seems to help, do you know of exercise/anything that would help???

hell, wanna come be my boyfriend and workout w/ me! Sounds like a plan to me. Maybe she will like jogging or some sort of class if she gets bored..but your plan sounds very good and realistic! :)

Top Bottom