Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Frustrated, please help me out

T-Cake said:
I really thought I had done all in my power to overhaul my diet, change it up, change my workout, try weightlifting, etc.

Believe it or not... there IS a way out, and we're definitely going to help you find it. I am finally down to 160 or so and I have the last 20 lbs to do -- but it's with the help of Elite and these girls here that I really figured out what my body needed to get past the plateau. And YES -- it was a major change and NO it was not something I did before.

The key point to see here is that she THOUGHT she had tried everything.
I still maintain that a plateau should not last years - and T said the reason hers did last that long was that there were things she did not know to try.

Daisy_Girl said:
The key point to see here is that she THOUGHT she had tried everything.
I still maintain that a plateau should not last years - and T said the reason hers did last that long was that there were things she did not know to try.
Righty-o, and I will gladly play the ignorance card on that one. :D

It's so true, though! Everyone goes on and on and on *blah blah* about lifting weights and here I was, in the back of my mind thinking (like a stubborn ass), "Well I lost the first 80 doing this... it'll work for the last 50!"

Ha -- yeah, right.

What broke me? Changing my timing on carbs... and yes... *ahem* -- WEIGHTLIFTING. Like, REAL, serious, in-your-face-and-I-mean-it weightlifting.

I'm a changed woman. :heart:

T-Cake said:
Righty-o, and I will gladly play the ignorance card on that one. :D

It's so true, though! Everyone goes on and on and on *blah blah* about lifting weights and here I was, in the back of my mind thinking (like a stubborn ass), "Well I lost the first 80 doing this... it'll work for the last 50!"

Ha -- yeah, right.

What broke me? Changing my timing on carbs... and yes... *ahem* -- WEIGHTLIFTING. Like, REAL, serious, in-your-face-and-I-mean-it weightlifting.

I'm a changed woman. :heart:

I didn't mean it as a "slam" against you, or that you are a dummy ;) . Just that sometimes - we think we have tried EVERYTHING, but really we have not. Ya know?

People don't teach you 'nutrition' anywhere in your typical education, and then the media and snake oil marketers convince people that quicky fixes are legitimate answers to things and some how it further translates not only to ignorance and setting yourself up for failure but it also starts to become a deeply rooted self-confidence and self-image issue.

I lifted for nearly 15 yrs before I "got" how diet goes w/ lifting and then really saw the value of fundamental manipulation of macros an additional 9 yrs later.

Its not that its rocket science, but what should be common sense isn't really pointed out (i.e. its not obvious, but if someone gave you that little bit of insight say in a HS health class, it would click) is further buried by the snowjob society gets from the media and image marketing.

Sassy69 said:
People don't teach you 'nutrition' anywhere in your typical education, and then the media and snake oil marketers convince people that quicky fixes are legitimate answers to things and some how it further translates not only to ignorance and setting yourself up for failure but it also starts to become a deeply rooted self-confidence and self-image issue.

I lifted for nearly 15 yrs before I "got" how diet goes w/ lifting and then really saw the value of fundamental manipulation of macros an additional 9 yrs later.

Its not that its rocket science, but what should be common sense isn't really pointed out (i.e. its not obvious, but if someone gave you that little bit of insight say in a HS health class, it would click) is further buried by the snowjob society gets from the media and image marketing.

Not just that, but if you do study nutrition in school - the textbooks are for GENERAL POPULATION, for very general health needs. Not for people trying to refine their physique or get to the next level.

For example, I met with my Internist the other day. We discussed diet in general terms. He said the recommended caloric intake for an adult is 2000 calories. To lose weight, I should cut 200 calories from that. He said I should not go below 1800 calories or my metabolism will shut down and it will be impossible to lose weight.

While I agree with in general what he was getting at, I have spent YEARS getting to know my body and how it responds to things. And I know what he learned was good for the general population - but not me.

Textbooks are great - but not always applicable to everyone.

Daisy_Girl said:
I didn't mean it as a "slam" against you, or that you are a dummy ;) . Just that sometimes - we think we have tried EVERYTHING, but really we have not. Ya know?
I didn't take it as a slam at all! :D I was actually quite flattered that you made an example out of what I said and pointed that particular part out! :bigkiss:

It's the TRUTH, and so easily overlooked! I hear ya', sista! :verygood:

Sassy69 said:

So true! I can't believe how hard I worked to count every calorie, make it to the gym all the time -- I mean, it'll be 8 years for me April 2007 from the first day I decided to lose weight -- and I can't believe either that ONE or TWO rules -- EASY ones... were all it took to turn my life completely upside-down in a GOOD way in 2006!

Absolutely absolutely -- just ONE clue and wham -- you've got it. When people outside of EF ask me for help to lose weight, I always have to downplay what I'm about to tell them to do because I think they have the perception that I'm about to slam them with all the "instruction manuals" the media has fed them and they're about to feel defeated in less than 60 seconds.

All people are sensitive -- I'm glad there ARE people who do know the easier, less complicated, just-as-fulfilling-if-not-more route. Sure saved me! :heart:

Daisy_Girl said:
Not just that, but if you do study nutrition in school - the textbooks are for GENERAL POPULATION, for very general health needs. Not for people trying to refine their physique or get to the next level.

For example, I met with my Internist the other day. We discussed diet in general terms. He said the recommended caloric intake for an adult is 2000 calories. To lose weight, I should cut 200 calories from that. He said I should not go below 1800 calories or my metabolism will shut down and it will be impossible to lose weight.

While I agree with in general what he was getting at, I have spent YEARS getting to know my body and how it responds to things. And I know what he learned was good for the general population - but not me.

Textbooks are great - but not always applicable to everyone.

Actually that was the other thought I had - the medical community is amazingly underschooled on nutrition. Its like 1 semester or just a section of one semester in a complete MD program -- so in many cases, what really should be looked at from a nutrition / body response point of view is instead dealt w/ from a 'here take this and that collection of pills for that will deal w/ this & that symptom but there will be a whole shitload of sides because we really only understand this selective part of what this stuff does...."

Egads. No wonder healthcare costs are so high...

Sassy69 said:
Actually that was the other thought I had - the medical community is amazingly underschooled on nutrition. Its like 1 semester or just a section of one semester in a complete MD program -- so in many cases, what really should be looked at from a nutrition / body response point of view is instead dealt w/ from a 'here take this and that collection of pills for that will deal w/ this & that symptom but there will be a whole shitload of sides because we really only understand this selective part of what this stuff does...."

Egads. No wonder healthcare costs are so high...

sofuckingtrue

That is the main reason I left my previous Internist - I got bloodwork done (when pregnant and then when breastfeeding - both of which as KNOWN to cause high blood lipids, mind you) and my lipids were scary high.

WITHOUT EVEN DISCUSSING DIET AND EXERCISE he wanted to put me on cholesterol meds as soon as I was done breastfeeding.

I was so outta there.

Top Bottom