Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Free weights or Machines?!?!?

supaphat

Before I start my weight training, I was wondering which is better?

I also have a problem with that squat thing (I am sorry I don't know what it's called) on the free weights side of my gym. It's that bar that's connected to this thing to make it easier to put the bar down - ya know it rolls and has those hooks... ANYWAY, the last time I tried it I was told to lean against the bar a little to stay straight, but MAN!!! I had a bruise on the top of my back/lower neck for 3 days from that thing... Any suggestions??? BTW that was with the pad thing on the bar.

Thanks!!! And thanks for the suggestions from before!!! They really helped. I am starting on Saturday, I figured the 1st would be good. I am also going to take measurements and pics to track my progess, and do a journal about what I eat. But I will refrain from posting pictures as to not gross anyone out. :D

Thanks again!!!
:newbie:

i did too! you mean the smith machine, huh?

they told me to wrap a towel around the bar or hold it down further on the shoulder blades (which helps your form out too)...

and free weights are better than machines usually (always?) because they involve more complex movements and muscles... isn't that correct? someone correct me if i am totally out to lunch here.

Personally,, free weights. As for the bar wrap a small towel around the pad to help.

Star

Free weights are best, but nice to switch to the machines to work the muscle a diferent way.The machines in the begining can help you get good form going. Then you can learn to basically do the same exercises you learned on the machines, with the free weights. Squats on the Smithmachine are fun---- Make sure the bar rests comfortably on your shoulders, right on your trapezius (sp?) Keep your head up,and place your feet slightly in front of you, with your feet shoulder length apart. Place your hands on the far outer side of the bar, and as you squat down, stick your butt out, and bend down as if you were going to sit in a chair. Then come back up,without comletely locking out you knees, and repeat. Gosh.....Might be leaving a lot out, and hopefully a vet will come on and not confuse so bad :( I am really digging squats now-----such a good overall workout :) Good Luck Supaphat:D

although variety is good, free weight training strengthens the stabilizer muscles (path of movement is not determined by machine), and helps to develop a strong core... a must! :)

they sell a thick velcro pad that goes on the bar. it really saves some wear and tear on the skin. they sell it here in ny at wal-mart. cheap and quite useful.

Less filling / tastes great... if you've got the freedom to choose, it seems both have a place in your workout. Free weights force you to pay attention to your form, machines help you focus on some strength and hold you in a better form. If you need a spotter but don't have one, machines are a great alternative. If the machines don't fit (e.g. I have yet to find a bicep machine that fits my arms comfortably) the free weights are the alternative. If you want to stand behind the hot guy and watch that bootie work itself.... you'll take whichever offers the best vantage point! Everything has its purpose!

:D ;)

Every time I up my weights again on squats, my shoulders get sore too, even with a towel, but then I am ok for a while. But they are right, if you hold it lower down on your shoulders it hurts less. And try not to rest the bar on any knobby bone parts of your shoulders.

Top Bottom