Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Females advice on leg workouts-HELP!!

geness

Can everyone please share their leg routines. My problem is that whenever I lift legs they get way to big too quickly. I do light weights and high reps and only train them once a week. Should I maybe use no weight only my bodyweight and train either once or twice a week? Any ideas and suggestions will be so helpful!!

Also I do an hour of cardio six times a week alternating days between running, staeirmaster, spinning and the precor. I do cardio at a high intensity, but with low resistance so not to build up my legs anymore. If one form of cardio better than another when trying to diminish the size of your quad muscles or whole entire leg?

Sorry so long, but thanks in advance- everyone here is such an inspiration to me and you have already helped me out so much.
Take Care
Geness:)

I use the elliptical at the highest incline so I work my glutes, not my quads. But, as I like to see some quad definition, I do everything else pretty hard.

I will say that yoga is pretty catabolic, as are ballet barre exercises. If you want to work your legs with only body weight, find a ballet class. Pilates will also stretch your legs out, depending on which exercises you choose.

i have the same problem.

my legs have always been a curse. they respond to weights like crazy. i have only found one thing that works, but i only do it when i am training for a show, because it's a lot of work to keep them smaller. i have recently tried not training them at all, but they get loose. anyway, i stay away from squats ( with the exception of sissy squats), and leg presses. i do legs twice a week, usually tues. and thurs. i use little to no weight, and i do high reps, and each week i raise the reps by 10. i start with 40 reps for 4-6 sets per exercise. i do extension and curls first, then i do lunges on the smith machine all reps on one leg, and then the other. then i do stiff legged deadlifts, sissy squats, and then i end with extensions and curls. it takes a lot of work, that is why i only do it when i am training for a show. i also do cardio about 4 times per week, and i take aerobics sometimes. it sucks to have such big legs, people always tell me they wish they had my legs (guys that is), but as a girl there is nothing worse, because if i gain a little bit of weight, my legs look twice the size they would be if they had no muscle at all. oh well, good luck.

i have the same problem.

my legs have always been a curse. they respond to weights like crazy. i have only found one thing that works, but i only do it when i am training for a show, because it's a lot of work to keep them smaller. i have recently tried not training them at all, but they get loose. anyway, i stay away from squats ( with the exception of sissy squats), and leg presses. i do legs twice a week, usually tues. and thurs. i use little to no weight, and i do high reps, and each week i raise the reps by 10. i start with 40 reps for 4-6 sets per exercise. i do extension and curls first, then i do lunges on the smith machine all reps on one leg, and then the other. then i do stiff legged deadlifts, sissy squats, and then i end with extensions and curls. it takes a lot of work, that is why i only do it when i am training for a show. i also do cardio about 4 times per week, and i take aerobics sometimes. it sucks to have such big legs, people always tell me they wish they had my legs (guys that is), but as a girl there is nothing worse, because if i gain a little bit of weight, my legs look twice the size they would be if they had no muscle at all. oh well, good luck.

My quads seemed to develop faster than hams, so I split training them in 2 days- working hams - deadlifts, leg curls w/ heavier weights-
quads w/ lots of high rep lunges, backward lunges off a box, leg ext, quad flexes on decline ab bench.
All my cardio w/ weight on heels instead of toes to engage more ham/glute emphasis.
This type of training, along w/ building up my upper body w/ heavier weight training has really helped to create a more balanced look.
Hope this helps - good luck in your training.

Instead of trying to make your legs smaller, why don't you try and make everything else bigger to balance out your physique? I would hardly call legs that respond to training a curse. In fact, be careful what you wish for.

W6

My goal in working legs is always to build muscle because that is where my fat is....I've always been told that muscle burns fat.

I've always had big, long legs, even as a child, and I'm tall. My thighbones are very long, so I look real funny doing squats (try as I may, when I do a traditional squat, my butt sticks out!!! I look hilarious doing them.)

I've been told that my leg workouts are ridiculous, and I wouldn't recommend my workout for most people...

3x15 135lb to 185lb squats (regular)
3x15 95lb smith lunges
3x15 50lb walking lunges (25lb dumbbells)
run 30 minutes, stepmill 30 minutes, intervals

every other week add:

1x12, 2x10, 1x8 315lb 45 degree leg press
3x12 275lb hack squat

lately I've added deadlifts, and on deadlift days I only do 2 sets of medium weight squats as warm-up. I superset deadlifts with leg curls on strong days. I do both kinds of deadlifts, straight leg and Romanian (bent knee with at least 145lbs.).

The deadlifts have made a huge difference for me. They target my biggest problem areas, hips and butt and rear upper thigh. My running is better and my lower back is stronger, so even my ab work is easier, as a result.

My leg size has reduced quite a bit so I look more balanced, although I have worked upper body quite a bit to promote symmetry as well.

My legs do not respond at all to low weight high reps, and psychologically I do not do well with high reps...most women are afraid that more weight equals bigger legs....I believe shapelier, no matter what the size, and symmetry, is better than worrying about the size.

After all, genetics do play a role here. There are certain kinds of men that definitely appreciate my legs, and certain kinds that prefer thin legs. Some of this is cultural. I'm mostly 'African-American', whatever that is...so I naturally have a thicker lower body, even with low bodyfat. My thighs are 22 inches. They used to be 25 inches and flabby and shapeless.

I like the two cuts up the side of my thigh and the one down the front of my quads. My hams are curved and no longer flat.

As far as calves....I have long ones, and I just patiently grow them....donkey calf raises, standing calf raises with up to 220lbs for 3x25.

strongchick said:
My goal in working legs is always to build muscle because that is where my fat is....I've always been told that muscle burns fat.

remember there is no way to spot reduce fat other than surgery and some other questionable lotions/creams... adding muscle to your legs will increase your metabolism will help decrease body fat all over, not just in your legs.... (but this is a good thing right?!!!) and, with a new, lower body fat, your legs (with the added muscle) will look all that much better!!

Geness (Destroy Them) :destroy:

I know that you've heard a lot of different things on this thread, but let me give you what I know works. My trainer and mother is a heavy weight Canadian Championd bodybuilder, I am a fitness competitor. I have really good genetics, and my legs grow quickly. Here is the routine my mother has me on and they are shrinking, look tighter, and my ass is looking really good. I am also on a winny cycle, and am still managing to keep the size down with this routine. Remember legs need lots of work.

Saturday - Quads

Hack Squats - no weight (5 sets of 16) do 20 if you can
Leg Press - start at 25/side up to 45/side (5 sets of 24)
Leg Extensions - 25 lbs (5 sets of 20)
* Hold every other one up for a count of 3

Sunday - Hamstrings
Dead Lifts - start w/bar up to 5/side (5 sets of 20)
Heel Presses - start 10/side up to 20/side (5 sets of 20)
Horizontal Leg Curls - 25 lbs (5 sets of 20)
* Hold every 5th one up cleching butt for a count of 3

Every other week train hams heavy going from 20, 16, 12, 10, 8 reps. Quads usually develop faster, that should help balance them out.

Wednesday - Mini Leg Day

Leg Press - One leg at a time (2 sets of 20)
Leg Extensions - same as above (2 sets of 20)
Dead Lifts - (2 sets of 20)
Horizontal Leg Curls - (2 sets of 20)

I do 40 min of recumbant bike low intensity everyday.

I swear to god my mother and I both used to be fat, she has killer legs now and mine are getting better and better. I've lost 3 1/2 in. off my thighs so far.

Please put up a respone to this and let me know what you think.

Top Bottom