Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Fatigue- Supplements

trex74

whatev
Platinum
I had been wondering why I was not recovering very well and was fatigued.
I have been training for a half marathon, and putting in some mileage, around 40 K/week, and I just was feeling too tired to function. That's not a heavy workload by any means for a runner, and so I was curious what was up.
I got a full blood panel done and my ferritin (iron stores) were only 9 out of a normal range of 12-300. This has been a recurring issue for me, so it was really no surprise. I hadn't been that low before though, I think my last count was 18 a couple years ago. Everything else was perfect- blood sugar, cholesterol, liver, kidneys, all perfect.
Anyhow, my doctor has me on a supplement called Proferrin, which is a heme iron polypeptide supplement made from bovine hemoglobin and is supposed to be the best for absorption. It has 11 mg of heme elemental iron per tablet. I am starting at 1/day and working up to 3 x 11 mg/day.
I am also about to embark on a diet high in liver, clams, oysters, and mussels. Not my usual fare- lol
I am also taking Siberian Ginseng (eleuthero), which is an adaptogen, meaning it helps my body adapt to increased physical and mental exertion. I am starting with 1000 mg/day
I am back on the Betaine HCL as well, as malabsorption can cause iron deficiency.
The Betaine HCL and Siberian ginseng are both made by NOW Foods.

Hey Trex hope your feeling the benefits soon also good luck with tge training and the diet lol sounds lovely ! The things y do to look good aye !

Donna

Keep us posted and I hope it'll help. I know very little about that type of thing so actually learned something reading your post. :)

I had been wondering why I was not recovering very well and was fatigued.
I have been training for a half marathon, and putting in some mileage, around 40 K/week, and I just was feeling too tired to function. That's not a heavy workload by any means for a runner, and so I was curious what was up.
I got a full blood panel done and my ferritin (iron stores) were only 9 out of a normal range of 12-300. This has been a recurring issue for me, so it was really no surprise. I hadn't been that low before though, I think my last count was 18 a couple years ago. Everything else was perfect- blood sugar, cholesterol, liver, kidneys, all perfect.
Anyhow, my doctor has me on a supplement called Proferrin, which is a heme iron polypeptide supplement made from bovine hemoglobin and is supposed to be the best for absorption. It has 11 mg of heme elemental iron per tablet. I am starting at 1/day and working up to 3 x 11 mg/day.
I am also about to embark on a diet high in liver, clams, oysters, and mussels. Not my usual fare- lol
I am also taking Siberian Ginseng (eleuthero), which is an adaptogen, meaning it helps my body adapt to increased physical and mental exertion. I am starting with 1000 mg/day
I am back on the Betaine HCL as well, as malabsorption can cause iron deficiency.
The Betaine HCL and Siberian ginseng are both made by NOW Foods.

I'm wondering about cortisol and adrenaline production. Cort could be too high and adrenaline production could be too low. That can definitely cause fatigue.

Due to the thread title, this might be a good spot to list an OTC supp I've found to really aid energy.

Enzymatic Therapy ADRENergize. The primary active ingredient is adrenal cortex extract. Label calls for one tab 3x daily, but I don't know that I'd recommend taking one any where near bedtime. I took one and damn did it jack me up with energy. Almost too much adrenaline. I guess if one were suffering adrenal exhaustion the effect would be therapeutic but with normal output like me it was almost too much. Great for preworkout though.

Cortrex is our most popular supplement at the clinic. Adrenal fatigue occurs in 80% of the population.
Supplements are great for adrenal fatigue, but diet and stress relief are better once the adrenals are nourished.

I'm not suffering from adrenal fatigue, I said I had a full blood panel and I have low iron stores. I have none of the symptoms of adrenal fatigue. I didn't expect to have my ferritin come back low, it was a routine test. It seems to be the most obvious answer, and I think it is the right one.
I don't think I have low or high cortisol, adrenal burnout, or anything else like that because I'm feeling peppier already from the Proferrin.
I started at 11 mg/day, I am up to 22mg/day, and next week I will be at 33 mg/day to run at least until my follow up with the doctor in December.
Thanks for trying to help though :)

Top Bottom